Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For The Guitar Players (and Wannabe's) In The Forum

bierman

Just listened to Montgomery's version of little wing....

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Yea, but Montgomery cheats. He uses a pick and 3 fingers :P

I saw Jeff Beck doing the Blow By Blow tour in 76 with Jamerson on Bass, Purdy on drums with Max Middleton on Fender Rhodes. Great show.

I saw this show too!! Blow By Blow is one of my favorite albums.

I started playing the guitar at 8. I have slacked off quite a bit in the last few years and that makes it hard to enjoy my fav axe, a Ibanez 12 string. It has the sweetest action I have ever felt on a 12 string.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen one, never played one, nice axe!. My first bass was a 67 Hofner violin bass I got new for my 12th birthday (dad found it cheap at a pawn shop). Traded that for a 62 P-Bass (sunburst) and didn't like the wide neck, traded that for Gibson EB-2 and liked the skinny neck, but hated the short fretboard. Got into my 64 J Bass in 73 when I turned 17 and found I liked the narrow fretboard and Long Scale of a J Bass best of all. Bought it for $350 cash at Don Wehr's Music City in SF and thought that was a lot, but a good deal. Had Starz re-fret it in 78 after breakin' it in right proper for 5 years getttin' some chops. It still plays like a champ to this day. Other things are cool, but for plain ole' playin', old J Bass's rule!

It ain't stock, which is why it plays like a dream. Custom humbucker pickups and passive wiring by Moi. Schaller Zero Backlash Peg set, Starz one piece brass bridge and brass nut. Harmonics ring like bells. A string can be tuned "down" to a note and it HOLDS! Post photo when I get a chance.

Try this guy: http://www.michaelkelsey.com/

He won the 2004 Guitarmageddon contest and was named the best unsigned guitar player, and played at Clapton's Crossroads festival in Dallas. Without a band, and with an acoustic, he absolutely stole the show.

Basically plays drums on the guitar, while playing it as a guitar and singing. Reminds you of Bugs Bunny with the one man band setup.

I'm just happy to say that Steve Morse is touring with the Dixie Dregs, and they'll be in Tempe Jan. 21!

http://www.stevemorse.com/

I even went to a guitar clinic he did (I don't play guitar), just to hang out with him and see what kind of a guy he was, and was after that even more impressed.

I found this in his "notes from the road":

... Something incredible that happened on our last trip came about in Monaco. John McLaughlin, first of all, has been a huge influence on the Dregs and myself. In the 80's I was able to tour with John, Al Dimeola, and Paco de Lucia in an all acoustic show...

... I saw that show! At the Gammage in Tempe.

;)

The bands I was with in the early 80's opened for every fusion/funk act that came through SF back then. We opened for Steve Morse twice and got to hang with him and his band in the dressing rooms (Rod Morgenstern from the Dregs and a different bassist than Andy from the Dregs by the name of Jerry Peek, much better player IMHO).

Steve and Rod watched us from the bar at both shows and we spent most of the time yakking about specific licks each band had up their sleeves ;-)

We also got to open for quite a number of other fusion greats at all of the Bill Graham venues. Some of the acts we shared the stage with: Stanley Clarke, Lee Rittenour, Alan Holdsworth, Jeff Berlin, Gil Scott-Heron, Narada Michael Walden, Iggy Pop (Yeah, that's right), etc... Then some of the guys I worked with hooked up with Jaco for a tour in the mid eighties and we are back where I left off earlier ;-)

West, Bruce & Lang was the shjt for a power trio. Saw them at Winterland in 77 and feel that only Cream did the hard rock power trio thing any better. Leslie on that Flying V cranking out the power chords at 120db was a thing to see in the day ;-)

at Winterland in 77

Isn't that about the same time and place that The Last Waltz was done? If you got to see that show then from now on I'll be prefacing anything I say with 'I'm not worthy!'... :D

I've always lacked the 'cool' gene that would get me in with the music crowd. My girlfriend has that gene and has been 'with the band' lots. Growing up in the Bloomington area she became friends with many of the local bands and lots of the traveling ones too. She's got some fun stories, but my favorite is the night that Ray Manzeric came to her and her boyfriends house to drink a few beers after a show. Her boyfriend then was a pretty serious local musician so they talked music and stuff. (again because I lack the cool gene that would allow me to hang with famous musicians I really have no idea what they talked about! :P ) When she told me I instantly wanted to know if she asked him about Morrison. She said no, that would have been stupid, we talked about his music and what he's doing in the future!!! ( see what I mean, just don't have the cool gene...) :D

I'm just happy to say that Steve Morse is touring with the Dixie Dregs, and they'll be in Tempe Jan. 21!

http://www.stevemorse.com/

I even went to a guitar clinic he did (I don't play guitar), just to hang out with him and see what kind of a guy he was, and was after that even more impressed.

I found this in his "notes from the road":

... Something incredible that happened on our last trip came about in Monaco. John McLaughlin, first of all, has been a huge influence on the Dregs and myself. In the 80's I was able to tour with John, Al Dimeola, and Paco de Lucia in an all acoustic show...

... I saw that show! At the Gammage in Tempe.

;)

I seriously hope he plans on playing more than 10 shows!

Saw The Steve Morse Band open for Rush back in 80-something....played mostly Dregs tunes. I got a feeling Scott Thunes isn't playing bass anymore which kinda sucks.

Saw The Steve Morse Band open for Rush back in 80-something....played mostly Dregs tunes. I got a feeling Scott Thunes isn't playing bass anymore which kinda sucks.

I saw that tour/show in Phoenix. ;) I went to see the Steve Morse Band, then decided to stay and see Rush. I liked Rush, but never was a huge fan - but they were great live.

be

Monte's pretty good.

San Juan Puerto Rico, 1983 or 84, I attended a concert by a trio of guitar players. Although I don't know much about guitar, the music these three guys played that night was one of the most amazing display of musical talent I've witnessed. The players: John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al DiMeola

Some years later I saw Jorge Strunz and Ardehsir Farah, pretty amazing too.

Edited by Nemo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
He's really good!

I've also been listening to Victor Wooten. I love the bass so he's right up my alley.

Saw a show a few years back on tv of Bela Fleck and Victor was playing bass (never thought a banjo player could kill)...amazing...Victor did 'Amazing Grace' for his solo...that was awsome....

• 2 months later...

When I lived in Norman, OK, in the early 90s, there was a guitar player named Tom Upthegrove who played in a fast rockabilly style. I loved listening to him at Liberty D's and other places around OKC. He was in a local band called The Ban-Lons, a power trio who always got an audience moving. He later joined a San Diego band called Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs. Tom left Norman to go on the road with them. The place was not the same without him. Years later, if I got it right, Tom is a bartender in Austin, TX. It is hoped he still plays. He is a great musician and a testament to the general unfairness of life. Why is he tending bar when there are so many lesser guitar players around making a living as musicians? I am tempted to go to Austin and ask him. If anyone here knows him, please enlighten me.

Edited by Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little more information on Tom Upthegrove: His playing may be heard on a CD by Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs called "Dressed to Swill." It dates from 1992 and is still available on Triple XXX Records. A good recording, to say the least.

• 1 year later...
He's really good!

I've also been listening to Victor Wooten. I love the bass so he's right up my alley.

Vic is the MAN! This is the old school. There were a few who did Donna Lee, but these two KILLED it right here. Joe Pass, NHOP.

This made me look again, different style, but not to be overlooked.

Edited by A-shot