Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For The Guitar Players (and Wannabe's) In The Forum

bierman

I have been listening to this guy since 1999 and have been spreading the word about his talent to anyone who will listen. I did not realize until today that some of his music is on YouTube. If you play the guitar and really don't want to feel like you suck, don't click on this link.

Monte Montgomery

Hope you all enjoyed this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pickin' there.

Been listening to old Steve Morse Band cuts myself lately. That guy still blows me away and the last time I saw him play live was in 1985!

BTW, I am a bass player, which I guess qualifies.

Victor has some very nice bass chops. Interesting strumming method when he finger-pops, kinda' Flamenco like.

Anyone ever seen Jaco do his acapella bass solo's when he was still alive? Similar level of musicality with a real wild side to the ride to boot. I remember watching Jaco pluck out the Star Spangled Banner in screaming feedback with his teeth ala' Hendrix on my 64 J-Bass in front of a pretty stunned crowd (and Stanley Clarke) back in the day. I know very well what bass players with this level of ability can do. Guitarists don't always get centerstage, nor do they always deserve it ;-)

Flex,

Yeah, seeing the Black Betty video kinda opened my eyes to what else might be available on YouTube. One quick search later I was having to dig out the external speakers for my laptop and jamming to my favorite guitar player. The Internet is a pretty amazing place when you really think about it.

In 1990 when I moved from San Francisco to Austin, I got a job working with a guy named Dave. Now, Dave kept telling me about his brother and what a great band he had and that I really had to go check him out. I said "sure that would be great" but knowing that it was going to be some horrific garage band and I'd have to stand there and smile and lie and say "yeah, they're terrific".

Well, one night Dave dragged me out to the Saxon Pub to see his brother Monte and I was blown away!

Dave and Monte Mongomery are still good friends of mine. B)

-Chet

but it is hard to listen to these guys and not feel like you suck.

Especially when you are watching someone like Jaco play that stuff on YOUR axe! I bass roadied for him for a tour of Europe and 6 months on the west coast doing recording and club dates. He used my gear all the way through those times, then left the gig and went back to Miami where he was killed in a brawl outside a club 3 months later. He was a punk at times, but he was also the best bass player ever, so far!

That's really cool man. I'm young, but I enjoy his music. He beat the sh!t out of your gear too huh?? I know the whole story, I wanted to be like "wow, that's really cool you knew him" and "what was it like to know him?" But then, I was like, sh!t, it's f'ing Jaco! You're lucky you got your stuff back at all...

Edited by A-shot

Nah, he never touched my stuff unless I was there as I kept all my gear in my hands. The band he played with paid me rental for the gear and day rates for my duties and part of my job was protecting my own gear.

Stlll have the J-Bass. It's a 64 (pre-CBS) with a rosewood fretboard that was re-finished and re-fretted by Starz Guitars (in San Francisco) in the late 70's. It's still in pristine playable shape to this day and I enjoy it a little whenever I can. I don't play at all like Jaco, but he did teach me a few tricks AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently ;-)

The link to Monte was great!!! Thanks for posting it. Its super hard to play and sing at the same time. I really suck at it, but that gives me a huge appreciation for the cats that can do it. Its like you have to have two songs playing in your head at the same time. Crazy intense... One of the things that sux is that some of the worlds greatest guitarist never get noticed because they don't sing or accompany a singer. People tend to get tired of someone beating on a guitar on and on. Artist like Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanual and Tony Rice and tons of others will never get the fame of one singer player, but they define the styles that those artist use.

If you are a bass fan you really should check out James Jamerson. He was the original bassist for the Funk Brothers. It's his bass that you hear on all the motown hits. The style that he developed in the bars of Detroit and that basement called 'Hitsville USA' has been used by countless bassist in every music.

I'm very impressed that you saw Segovia in concert Dale!!! He is the father of modern clasical guitar. I don't play that style, but he is the reference that all classical players draw from. Seeing him play would make you the reference point of the conversation in thier circle. Interesting fact is that San Esteban of the late night Zorro costume fame was a study of his. Esteban was a serious classical preformer until an accident left him partially paralized. Now hes a cartoon character selling crappy guitars, but hes wildly rich!!!

Yep, James Jamerson was the man on Bass in the 60's (Jack Bruce was another great bassist from the time). The drummer equivalent of Jamerson was Bernard (Purdy) Purdy. Those two were the rythym section for most of what came outa' Motown in the sixties.

I saw Jeff Beck doing the Blow By Blow tour in 76 with Jamerson on Bass, Purdy on drums with Max Middleton on Fender Rhodes. Great show. The Mahavishnu Orchestra was the opening act. That was the version with Narada Michael Walden on drums and Wilbur Bascomb on bass. Another hot rythym section. By the end of the tour, Beck had glommed onto Narada and Wilbur along with Jan Hammer who had been playing keyboards with the Mahavishu Orchestra on the same tour. The following year when Beck's Blue Wind album came out, that was his new band ;-)