Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For The Guitar Players (and Wannabe's) In The Forum

bierman

Ever hear of Lenny Breau? (dead now)

Search for the album "The Velvet Touch of Lenny Breau" It's a live album done in a lounge. guitar bass drums. The solo guitar is astounding. This is not rock though.

Another good one is Bill Connors. Fusion jazz and other stuff.

Stanley Jordan has an interesting style too. uses all ten digits at the end of his arms.

There are many effin astounding players that will or have already died in obscurity. It's amazing what you can hear in some local clubs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have played for like 22 yrs., played in bands, signed etc..

I would have to say:

Jason Becker

Yngwie

Hendrix

SRV

Eddie, my original insperation

Dimebag, for ingenuity of sound

Marty Friedman

Now what about this guy ?? :surprise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqTd-CEjHM...re=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpD0btOZx8...feature=channel

He's really good!

I've also been listening to Victor Wooten. I love the bass so he's right up my alley.

Yay! +1 for Vic. I've been listening to him for about 8 years. The Flecktones came out to play at my college in 2001. I started playing the banjo after seeing Bela Fleck do his thing that night. Victor and Bela are the two people best at what they do on their particular instruments hands down. Edgar Meyer is the best on an upright base.

First, I know Jax's post was abt. 2 yrs. ago, but :bow: :bow: :bow: to you for seeing Jimi do it live!!!!!!!!

I really can't narrow it down to one, and this is not in any particular order:

Jimi

SRV

Chet Atkins

Son House

Duane Allman

Robert Johnson

Buddy Guy

B.B. King

YES, I have a mile-wide blues streak, and it is what I prefer to play when I am certain that no one is around to hear me do horrible things to a guitar. Blues is a type of music that sounds deceptively simple, unless you want to do it well. I, for one, have always been humbled by those who can do it well.

So much of American music was derived from the blues, and it doesn't get NEARLY enough credit.

If you ever have the opportunity to see Buddy Guy or BB King perform in person, DO SO! Even if you don't care for the blues, BB is in his eighties and Buddy is getting up there as well. They both put on an exceptional show, and they won't be around too much longer. I have had the privilege of seeing both of them perform, and I assure you that you won't be disappointed.

Dimebag does get honorable mention for taking things in a different direction - like Jimi, Stevie, and everyone mentioned above, their influences are being seen GENERATIONS after their demise. One of the ways to truly tell who was among the "guitar gods"...

YMMV, but these are the ones that come to mind.

• 3 months later...

He is probably in my top 5, so much feeling and soul.

And if you look at the pics of the amps behind him, he played my stuff for the whole 2008 tour, which was a big kick for me, Ive been a fan for 25 years or more

Nice pickin' there.

Been listening to old Steve Morse Band cuts myself lately. That guy still blows me away and the last time I saw him play live was in 1985!

BTW, I am a bass player, which I guess qualifies.

FWIW Steve is now a commercial airline pilot

I'll never be the same after watching that. I've never seen anyone use thier heroin spoon to play the guitar. When they shot the close up, he looks higher than a kite.

STILL LAUGHING! THANKS!

:surprise: :surprise:

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...