Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred 627 Model

AustinMike

Curious, what is the preferred 8-shot revolver in the 627 line:

V-Comp

170237_thumb.jpg

or the standard Performance Center?

170210_thumb.jpg

The V-Comp weighs a bit more and has the "compensator." Any other big differences? Thinking mainly for steel shooting purposes.

The 327 will beat you to death if you are going to shoot it in competition. Go with the regular 627 PC model. I load 38 specials at the beginning of the stage and reload with 38 short Colt in moon clips. The short Colt is much eaiser to get in the chamber than 38 Specials in moon clips.

Edited by Jaxshooter

The V-comp comes with a cap that you can use instead of the compensator so you can use it in limited.

For steel, a lighter gun will track faster from target to target.

I own both. Except for some internal differences (one has Randy work), I don't notice much difference. When just hefting the guns, I notice that I like the V-Comp better, possibly because it is closer to my 625 which I use more than both combined.

If I was better, I probably would have some deep philosophical reason for prefering one over the other. Being who I am, I don't think there is any practical difference in the guns

And, of course, Steve is right. I have used the V-Comp at the IRC without the faux comp in limited.

<_< I amy not know nothing...But go with what pleases your EYE. The light gun will move & stop fast , the trade off is you will pick up the time with faster recovery with the more mass of the v comp.

You can shoot my "not so light" 627 if you like, Mike, I still need to replace the scope.

I use 38 long colt for most every thing. I dont care about shooting IPSC with it.

I will be happy to help you out with what little I do know, when you come to SA

Jamie

Oh I strongly sugest you just get a 686+ in 6" = Linda will let you try her's

Edited by AlamoShooter

What is the price of 9MM at Wallyworld these days? Just doing some math and not counting my labor I am spending about $8.00 a hundred for ammo. To convert this over you would need a 9MM reamer, or a friend with one and then you would need to get the moonclips. Moonclips would be a push as you would need them for the regular rounds any way. You could cut it for a 38 super and use the 9MM in it, that way you could use it for two calibers, :ph34r: but you would no longer be able to use it for 38 specials. I think this has been discussed here somewhere. Well past my bedtime.

<_< I amy not know nothing...But go with what pleases your EYE. The light gun will move & stop fast , the trade off is you will pick up the time with faster recovery with the more mass of the v comp.

You can shoot my "not so light" 627 if you like, Mike, I still need to replace the scope.

I use 38 long colt for most every thing. I dont care about shooting IPSC with it.

I will be happy to help you out with what little I do know, when you come to SA

Jamie

Oh I strongly sugest you just get a 686+ in 6" = Linda will let you try her's

Aesthetically, the sharp angle of the underlug of the regular PC looks a little goofy to me (more so than the silly compensator on the other! ;) ) I noticed a used v-comp, which peaked my curiosity. I've got my 625, which I could use in steel, but I often miss more than once! :lol:

Can these 627's be converted to shoot 9MM? I thought I read somewhere that you could do that..It would be a cheaper way to shoot.

Would it really be any cheaper to shoot than 38 special?

Edited by AustinMike

Would it really be any cheaper to shoot than 38 special?

I would think it would be cheaper with a quicker reload. The 627 I was talking about was the 38 Super model...I havent seen any come up for sale in a while...Has anyone done this conversion??

What is the price of 9MM at Wallyworld these days? Just doing some math and not counting my labor I am spending about $8.00 a hundred for ammo. To convert this over you would need a 9MM reamer, or a friend with one and then you would need to get the moonclips. Moonclips would be a push as you would need them for the regular rounds any way. You could cut it for a 38 super and use the 9MM in it, that way you could use it for two calibers, :ph34r: but you would no longer be able to use it for 38 specials. I think this has been discussed here somewhere. Well past my bedtime.

Counting your labor that would make it about $5.00 per hundred, right?

Yep!!! I pay me whut I'm wurth. :wacko:

Yep!!! I pay me whut I'm wurth. :wacko:

yo da man, bubber!!!!

So, is $650 OTD a "snatch it up" price for a used 627-5 in good condition? No fancy aluminum case, just the PC pistol rug.

:D That is funny LOL I had no idea how funny you could be. I you got a new 686 + and had the moon clips cut you would end up with close to that much.

? $650 ?

What elese will you ...?have to do?... !NO don't tell us ...we don't want to know.

What is the accuracy like shooting the smaller bullets out of the 358 barrel?

I to, would like to hear the forums thoughts on this.

Acording to my Lee Reloading Manual;

357 Mag bullets are .358 dia.

38 cal are .358 dia

38 super is .356

9mm is .356

38/357 through the same gun make sense.

.38super/9mm make sense.

How can you ream a .358 gun to shoot .356?

While I'm at it, will a long colt barrel shoot 45 acp? The book lists long colt as .454 dia and the 45 acp as .452 dia.

Can you shoot 45 acp through a long colt barrel with any accuracy?

I must be missing something.

Edited by slflr

Just to add some extra confusion to the mix, Bob, .38/.357 are usually .357 in diameter (although some lead bullets come oversized for accuracy), .38 Super is .356 diameter, and has it's own bullets, and 9mm is .355 diameter.

This doesn't stop most guys from using .355 diameter 9mm bullets in their .38 Super guns. I'd be willing to bet the bore is probably .355 on Open gun barrels anyway, since this is such a common practice. It doesn't seem to hurt accuracy at any rate.

I ran .356 .38 Super bullets in my .357 627. Accuracy wasn't great, but I was also using .38 Short Colt cases, so the bullet was quite a ways from the forcing cone. I never tried .356 bullets in .38 Special cases but I'd bet a little work would give good accuracy.

As for .45 ACP in a .45 Colt, I know that Freedom Arms offers a .45 ACP cylinder on their .454 Casull revolvers (which is basically a .45 Colt on steroids) as well as a .45 Colt cylinder. The .460 Smith & Wesson Magnum is a .454 Casull on crack AND steroids and a gun chambered in it can also chamber .454 Casull (for plinking) and .45 Colt (varmit loads).

I believe at this point all .45's are .451 in bore diamter. You do see .452 lead bullets, but these are oversized for accuracy in some bores.

I was told that most of the match barrels used for the 38 super are actually .355" anyways. That is why they shoot the 9mm bullets well. I know my Clark built Caspian was this way.

Cylinder jump has never been a great accuracy deterrent for me. I have shot 38 wadcutters out of a 357 cylinder for PPC and 38 JHP's for Bianchi cup with incredible accuracy. My 686 Bianchi gun would shoot 1 1/4" 6 shot groups at 50 yds with 38 special brass.

I cant see how the accuracy of the .356" bullet would be good out of the .357" barrel, although I never tried it.

I'd like to hear from someone here that has done it because I know where there is a 357 X 8 that I've been eyeing. No where near $650 unfortunately! :angry:

The other difference as near as I can tell is that the 38 super moonclips are thicker and are going to be tougher than the 38/357 moonies.

So, is $650 OTD a "snatch it up" price for a used 627-5 in good condition? No fancy aluminum case, just the PC pistol rug.

FWIW, New 38/357 627's go for $600-$800 right after the Steel Challenge prize table, if you're there with a handful of cash. The one you're looking at is a 38/357, right?

I've shot a bunch of .356 Zero bullets out of my 627's, funny thing is I'm getting better

accuracy out of the 38/357's than I am out of the 38 Supers.

This has all been with 38 spcl brass (for the 38/357 that is :) )

I have found that the "dished" or hollow-ish base's of Zero's 125 JHP work better than their

flat based, exposed lead base 125 JRN's in the 38/357, but one of those is ported.

Their 95 grn .380 ACP JSP bullets are great for static steel, have a nice hollow base to seal

the bore, and a crimp cannelure.

I'm not having any luck with plated 115 & 124 grn Westcoast bullets in .3555 diameter in the

Super revo, funny, the 124's are not too bad in the 38/357 revo.

And if it matters, my "match" range rod from Brownells fits both the 38/357 and the 38 super

barrels.

Haven't done much testing with .3555 bullets.

If your not running max. loads you can use .357 bullets also, had some great accuracy with

Montana Gold 125 JHP's and their 125 CMJ's (not good speed-loading bullets BTW) in the

38 Super, I'll have to try more of those.

I've shot a bunch of .356 Zero bullets out of my 627's, funny thing is I'm getting better

<snip>

Forgot to say......

I did have to go to a Lee undersize die for my 38 spcl loads using .355/.356 bullets.

I had bullet pulling as opposed to any kind of set back issues (probably common for revo's)

and it was more of a problem with older brass.

I would think using the LUD can only help for .357 sized heads.