Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet Weight Do You Use?

newshooter

Hello everyone I was just curious in what is the most popular bullet weight that everyone use's in there guns. Also wanted to try making a poll at the same time Thanks for taking the time to looking at the post

Joey

Edited by newshooter

My gig is .40 minor for production. Current load is 2.5 Clays and a 185 Precision Moly. It's cheating within the rules. Way soft.

Going to a Precision Delta FMJ in the near future however.

May have to bump the charge a tenth to make the gun function 100%. I'm having issues with my current bunny fart load and how the the gun functions.

Well, My answer is not completely truthful. I've BEEN using 140's for a long time in my 610 for minor and ICORE loads. There was no listing for that, so I put own 180's since that is the most common other bullet I use for 40 cal, minor and major. I am however experimenting now with a 200 gr bullet.

Vince

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and taking my poll. I can see that the majority of the shooters like to use 180 grain bullets that are FMJ/JHP. I my self use 180s but that what a friend had for me to use at this point in time i am using what ever i can get my hands on haha. I think im going to try some 200 grain next

Edited by newshooter

I have been using the 155 plated from westcoast because it is a little more cost effective. I had never used a 40 in competition. I was using it more for a reloading and cost effective shooting. Since I have started a 40 limited gun build I have been looking into what everyone else uses. You guys have changed my mind for making major and I will be switching to a 180gr HP bullet.

180-185 black bullet

Titegroup or Universal Clays

loaded 1.135

federal primers

I dont find the smoke to be that big of a problem for me..if you put a good bell on your cases when you load them and dont over crimp...you get less smoke and leading.

all that being said...im building a new limited gun...and ill prob switch to plain old clays for the major loads.

Harmon

How many of you shoot moly indoors i was wondering how much smoke you get from them???
I shoot Precision 185s over Bullseye. I went through about 200 in an indoor range recently, and while there was some smoke, it was nowhere near what I see when shooting uncoated lead bullets. I'm told that Bullseye is a relatively "smoky" powder, so that may have been a factor too.

I use 200 gr fmj Zero bullets for matches and 210 lead round nose for practice. ( Limited Gun) I have tried 180 plated , lead , black bullets. Always came back to the 200 gr Zero bullet. For production I use 180 jhp. For steel loads for the limited gun I use 165 jhp Zero bullets.

Darryl

• 7 months later...

Funny how opinions change over time ..... I just got a new LTD blaster today, and I'm thinking of switching from 180's to 165's. I like the sharp kick, and quicker action of a lighter bullet. Less muzzle rise too. :)

PS: I see by the poll a large majority of people shoot 180's and then there's a handful of folks who either go lighter or heavier depending on personal preference.

Things that make you go hmmmmm ;)

My normal bullet is a 170gr (actually weigh about 172) Precision Black bullet, over tight group, I also use 155 Precision, I can switch from USPSA to IDPA load by only changing the bullets, using the same die settings and powder charge, However due to a backlog at precision all I could get this time were 155's so had to work up some new powder charges, I also had to shorten the OAL, the Ed brown barrel I put in my para has a shorter throat and wont take the 1.150 so I am now loading to 1.130 which also throws all my data off. Any way I am gonna assume the 170's over 4.1 and the 155's over 4.4 ish should get me close.