Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet Do You Reload?

dajarrel

With the changing metal prices we've seen over the last year or so, I thought it would be interesting what bullet you are loading in your rounds.

I have changed from primarily Montana Gold to Precision (moly coated) over the last year just for economics. With the exception of a small amount of smoke, I haven't noticed any percievable difference.

How about you?

dj

I voted Montana Gold, but I am LOOKING for an alternative, as their prices have gotten out of hand this fall. I will NOT be a loyal Montana Gold customer any longer due to their price increases.

Any ideas, let me hear them!!!

Does Precision Delta make a JHP?

Doesn't look like it! But the price is right.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/products_new.htm

DWB, I saw the same thing, but I thought I would be dumb and ask the question anyway :wacko:

I have been told that the JHP's will be out early 2007, but the prices will go up some also.

I am trying PD''s for the first time. Have been using Montana Gold, but the PD's seem to perform just as well.

The prices for Precision Delta include shipping. Minimum order is 2000. You can mix and match to get to 2000 though.

Edited by scooterj

Precision Black Bullets......the best bang for the buck hands down. If he could only make'm to stand up to the pressures of an open gun when the bullet/gases pass through the baffles in the comp without leading....he would be king of the bullet world.

DaG

I have only shot the 124gr JHP from MG....back on Nov of 2005 I was paying $202 delivered per 3750 from MG ......now I am paying $231 which is only 12.5% increase.....However, the same 38 Super brass has increased from $197 per 2000 for +P Nickel to $240 which is right at 18%...I wish the brass had only increased 12.5%.....

I agree w/ Merlin re: Precision Bullets for non-Open guns. So far, they seem to be as accurate as my Trojan can handle, and while there's a tiny amount of smoke, its inconsequential in daylight conditions, and no worse than jacketed in sub-optimal lighting, in the end.

But, for Open, I'm currently loading Hornady HAPs, so I voted "Others" in the poll....

That said, others I'd load would be Zero and Armscor.

Don't forget about the HAPs... extremely fine bullet. You can get good prices if you shop around and/or bulk order... ;) In fact, as good pricing as you can get on Zeroes...

My main sources of pistol bullets these days are Masterblaster, Precision, or Bear Creek... whichever moly-encapsulated lead I can get cheapest. I got started on Bear Creek bullets in the 90's, and used ME bullets with good results ever since. Cheaper components means I get more livefire practice. Recent prices have been somewhere around 50 bucks a thousand for 40/180s, 60 bucks a thousand for 45/230s.

Accuracy has been good, and the the moly-encapsulation works as advertised:no leading plus, slightly faster than lead or jacketed with no increase in pressure. One or two pulls with a boresnake and my barrels are clean.

Smoke is usually not a problem... they smoke more than jacketed but less than naked lead, and I minimize smoke by using slower/cooler powders.

I have also used plated bullets before with fairly good results, but they cost more than ME bullets and were slightly less accurate in my experience.

In Open 115 or 124 Hornady XTP's for tournaments and Winchester 115 JHP's for practice and club matches.

HAPS are XTP's with out the serations, right?

If so I am going to participate in our next Hornady bulk purchase.

Nebraska bullets rock! :D

FM

I use Zero JHP's in my blasters. My Edge doesn't like flat nose very well so I can't use the PD stuff. Plus I get slapped with the State Sales tax through PD (7%). If they ever come out with a JHP I may have to try them though.