Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys...it was only in the 80's and gorgeous shooting weather! Low 60's for the first stage every morning.

The problem with the roller coaster was you had sets of 3 to 4 targets on each side as you went down. If you were L10 or Production you better reload pretty darn quickly. A lot of shooters forgot there was a brake on the coaster so if they blew a reload or had a malfunction they just blew past targets when they could have stopped themselves. The other end was if you hit the brake too soon there was a certain point where it wouldn't start again and you either had to pull yourself along with the ropes or take all long shots, including a head shot....Disaster factor was huge here but was a total blast!!!! Joe Platt and his crew did an great job in scoring and keeping the stage moving so everyone got through quickly.

the problem was that the RO's would not let you walk on the coaster planks they used to push it back up OR let you get up to see what it looked like 25 feet in the air untill your turn to shoot. the perspective was totally different than walking the stage on the ground.

also did i mention several hard cover targets and half covered targets with no shoots as you rolled by faster than you could run if you did not use the brakes and a head shot at the end from 10 to 20 yards (or longer) depending on where you stopped the cart or it stopped itself.

there was some rumbling about the speed being different witth different ro's sitting behind you that weighed differently. NOT so much fun to shoot. WELL built, Good design, could I ride once first PLEASE! or at least walk from where I would shoot.

not sure you could go back up by pulling the ropes.

Edited by CAshooter

were you allowed to go backwards at all? if not all the targets are visible when you finish, and you cant go backwards, would they be disappearing targets?

On the sides of the cart were 2 pvc pipes that represented the 180 and you could not cross that. A couple guys did reach back and got dq'd for it - this would definitely be a one way ride but the targets never disappeared as they were all visible all the way down. You could have shot everything from the top if you had the guts and the range :-) Hopefully someone has some good video of it but if you look at the picture that was posted you can see the white pipe sticking up on the right hand side. That was to remind you of the 180.

Edited by Trisha Lowry

Yes.....On both sides of the track there were suspended ropes that you could use to pull yourself back up the track if you wanted but I didnt see anyone try it. The only arrays that were visible from the top were the first 2 and the last. The others were obscured completed by barrels until you rode to within 10 feet or so of them. Top to bottom without any brakes applied was about 20 secs or so. I enjoyed it so much that I would have paid for a second run if I could have! :D The fire pole stage was also very interesting to watch. Saw quite a few people with either burned hands or twisted ankles or knees from that one. Great match!

Close match in Limited, less than 4 points in the top three. Manny, Henning and Taran...

The Open match was decided similarly between the top two - looks like Matt Burkett took it by 3 points....

Yup, the roller coaster was fun. I was interesting shooting production on that one! And while not really Area 2 match related, I heard that you 3 gunners will get a chance to shoot this stage with rifle. Now that I think about it, I would of loved to have a rifle for that head shot at the end of the tracks <_<

iirc, im doing several things at the same time at this stage, arrays are from left to right all static but with partials and no shoots, not to mention shooting poppers while youre moving, when observing its not moving that fast, but when you yank the brake, all hell broke loose!! your watching 180, peripheral vision is necessity, reload like hell at braking if you need to. the thing with going back is youre carrying your weight and the ro, not a good idea. but a very fun stage

were you allowed to go backwards at all? if not all the targets are visible when you finish, and you cant go backwards, would they be disappearing targets?

they didn't let you go backwards. you had a foot break to slow you down so you could engage the targets. most open shooters didn't use the break at all. my buddy had a jam after the first shot and forgot to break and only got one shot off on a bank of 3 targets. if you did break, the coaster didn't make it all the way down the ramp to be able to engage the last bank of targets, so you had to pull the cart with the guide rope on the side of the ramp.

one of the problems of the stage was the grease in the wheel bearings. we shot the stage first on friday, at O dark thirty. the bearings were cold and slowed the first few shooters, as the day and the bearings heated up, the coaster went faster. still, it was a fun stages

lynn

Edited by lynn jones

roller coaster pic

I'm going to make Dave build me one! :lol:

No you're not.

Come on Dave, you know you want to shoot this stage, why not build it?

Not sure about finding a mining cart, so how about a shopping cart from my store?!?!?! :D

Shoot it, yes. Build it, no. Although I've been unable to prevent myself from thinking about how to get it built .. . .

roller coaster pic

I'm going to make Dave build me one! :lol:

No you're not.

Come on Dave, you know you want to shoot this stage, why not build it?

Not sure about finding a mining cart, so how about a shopping cart from my store?!?!?! :D

Shoot it, yes. Build it, no. Although I've been unable to prevent myself from thinking about how to get it built .. . .

That's the spirit!!!

No pressure, you have all winter to kick this idea around, of course you also have to figure out how to get it on and off the war wagon?!??!?!?

Sounds like a great match

David to fuel the fire I shot a similar stage a long time ago. It was a helicopter that went sideways on a rollercoaster track. Walls, so there banks of targets that had to be engaged quickly and no going back. Some sliders moved with you and others moved in the opposite direction. Droppers "tripped" by the copter. Close and far targets made this one of my most favorite stages.

Best part is we set the copter downrange at the end of the match and blasted it with all of our remaining ammo. Man those were the days. :)

David to fuel the fire I shot a similar stage a long time ago. . .

OK, now you guys are just egging me on. . . and we are thread drifting a bit . . .

(By the way, I've already figured out how to get around the whole "if you can't back up to get targets you missed are they disappearing targets" problem.)

Edited by davidball

To be honest, when I got to this stage my first thought was, "This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" No real way to perform a "ride through" and no real way to get a feel for how fast the cart would go until it was time to shoot.

With a little judicious braking and some slow and deliebrate shooting, I had a decent run. Looking back, it wasn't nearly as bad as most of us had thought upon seeing the stage and everybody I talked to enjoyed the stage.

Overall, I really had a good time at this year's match. It wasn't nearly as technical as last year's and there was a good variety of hoser and field courses.