Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reshoot Or Not

I was practicing today and set up two targets to move from box to box. The buzzer went off and I went to move to the first box and got a killer cramp in my thigh. I have had cramps in my calf muscles before but I have never experienced one in my thigh. I actually thought I had shot myself. My question is I had not fired a shot and I know locally I most likely would have been allowed a reshoot but what about big matches? I know one thing for sure it sure limited any movement practice for the rest of the session. I just hope it's not sore as hell in the morning because I have a match tomorrow. :(

Hello: If you are getting cramps then try taking some calcium tablets. Tums will work or a large glass of milk. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Haven't I heard that bananas (potassium) are good for curing muscle cramps??

Potassium is good for preventing cramping but not stopping ongoing cramps. If you're having cramps you need to hydrate to get rid of them and it's probably too late to eat a banana.

Hydration starts many hours before the event not in the car on the way to the range.

Potassium will help. Hydration 2-3 days prior is the best prevention.

BTW, you can get the same levels of potassium from oranges as you can with bananas without the same level of sugars. Bananas are a great natural weight gainer.

Rich

Hello: If you are getting cramps then try taking some calcium tablets. Tums will work or a large glass of milk. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Haven't I heard that bananas (potassium) are good for curing muscle cramps??

Actually Quinine Sulfate works the best. Keep a bottle of Quinine water in your bag.

Mine are so bad I have a prescription for Quinine tablets. It used to be you could by Dr Scholls "Legatrin" which was a quinine tablet. Unfortunately, it became a regulated drug.

And as someone already said, No re shoot

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I was hydrated and do take multi vitamins daily. I think it started from last weekend when I was helping my brother-in-law get ready for the sherriff's department. We were practicing and he wanted a frigging 50 yd sprint to the first box on every drill. Needless to say I was sore a few days early this week but thought it was gone. Guess not. Cardboard doesn't run and neither do I. Thank God for close ports and only 8 ft long walls. He did get qualified though which is good.

My question is I had not fired a shot and I know locally I most likely would have been allowed a reshoot but what about big matches?

Why would you get a reshoot at your local club? Do they use a different set of rules?

If I was the RO even at a local match, and you stopped youself saying, "I have a bad cramp." I'd simply say, "The Clock is running." If you didn't continue to shoot the course, I'd say, "If you are finished, Unload and show clear."

I would feel bad about your situation, but I would follow the rule.

Had a similar situation with a shooter who got DQed, and afterward said "I knew I shouldn't have shot because I wasn't feeling well". He could have asked to move his shooting position to the end of the squad.

When given the command, "Load and Make Ready", He could have simply stated I'm unable to shoot at this time.

If the cramp came on after the start signal (BEEP!!!!), You're on the clock.

+1 on all of the hydration/nutritional info here.

Well maybe no reshoot locally...........who knows............it didn't happen at a match....and if it did I probably would have just sucked it up and went. So a good question to people who RO there local matches. Would you permit a reshoot or not? I know 2 of em's answers already.

Well maybe no reshoot locally...........who knows............it didn't happen at a match....and if it did I probably would have just sucked it up and went. So a good question to people who RO there local matches. Would you permit a reshoot or not? I know 2 of em's answers already.

For match score --- no, sorry. For fun --- absolutely, but we'd do that too, if your gun broke, or any of a myriad other things happened that didn't cause you to DQ.....

Right before I was going to shoot Stage 5 at the '06 Double Tap, I started getting a wicked cramp - in my strong hand thumb. Like, I couldn't open the thumb! How the heck do you draw like *that*??? :D I stretched it and massaged the thumb, palm, and forearm a bit, and still seemed to have problems... luckily, it didn't happen when I drew, but.... d'oh... :D

9.10.3 Acompetitor who reacts to a start signal but, for any reason, does

not continue their attempt at the course of fire and fails to have

an official time recorded on the timing device operated by the

Range Officer, will be given a zero time and zero score for that

course of fire.

While shooting stage 10 at Area 3 this year I took a side step and dislocated my knee. In my mind I was thinking I really should stop but part of me said keep going and limp through it. OK points with crap time but at least I didn't zero the stage. Afterwards I unloaded, showed clear and about passed out from the pain. Everyone that saw it happen thought for sure I was going down but I managed to keep it together, gun always in a safe direction even though I looked like the Hunchback limping through the stage.

I knew I would zero it if I didn't at least finish the stage according to the rules stated above.

The crap part of it all was it happened on a reshoot, steel didn't go down with a dead center shot with a Major PF load. Called to have it recalabrated and it took a triple tap to the head zone to get it to even MOVE. If I had sucked up the missed steel I likely wouldn't have gotten hurt. Oh well, live and make sure you have good health behind you when you come up to the line.

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...

No comments on the rules since I haven't had the priviledge to shoot at a competition but as far as cramps go I have plenty of experience with these. The way to deal with it is to flex the muscle that does the opposite action of whatever muscle is cramping. So, if your calf cramps, pull your toes up toward your face. If your thigh cramps, use your hamstrings to bend your leg. Stretching in and of itself is good but the muscular inhibition that occurs when you actually flex the opposite muscle forces the cramp to relax without pulling the cramped muscle fibers apart thereby making you more sore. Hope that helps for future situations. (Not to downplay proper nutrition and hydration because these ARE important).

thejoe

Drop down to the ground in pain (set your pistol down on safe, or reholster safe first), and roll around until your ears come off accidentally ;)

5.4.4 A competitor who inadvertently loses eye or ear protection during

a course of fire, or commences a course of fire without them,

is entitled to stop, point their firearm in a safe direction and indicate

the problem to the Range Official, in which case the provisions

of the previous rule will apply.

5.4.5 Any attempt to gain a competitive advantage by removing eye

and/or ear protection during a course of fire will be considered

unsportsmanlike conduct (see Rule 10.6.3).

US5.4.5 A competitor who intentionally loses or displaces eye or ear protection

during a course of fire will be disallowed the provisions

of 5.4.4, and will be subject to match disqualification (see 10.6.3)