Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Serial Numbers

I've owned 3 STI hi-cap pistolas and handled some of my firends STI's as well. All the STI's I've seen, unless the have a custom serial number, the SN's start with the letters CM.

Does anybody know what the Charlie Mike is all about? Must be some kind of jinx because I can't get better hits than that with mine.

Sounds like Chip McCormick ? (didn't he invent the thing?)

I don't know. Did he? :huh:

I know one of our local GM's had an older open gun and the grip frame has the CMC logo instead of STI.

I'm not sure, Nemo. I think the really old guys ;) refer to it as a "McCormick" frame.

Thanks a lot for that. And yes Chip was one of the founders. Its getting futher and futher apart but I still see a CMC gun come thru Bennys shop now and then. Most have cracked where the grip area narrows down to the dust cover by now, I think that was one of the changes made by Virgil.------Larry

A brand new STI, I saw recently was 1075X and my old one is 189X. Does that put me in the semi-really old guys group?

:blink:

The McCormick theory makes sense. STI owners have ben very nice through the years. If I would've been the owner every single one of your STI blasters SN's would read something like: NWASHEREXXXX.

B)

Wide dust cover frames have all begun with the CM prefix for 7 or 8 years now. They just rolled over to 5 digits so I imagine they are going to stay that way for a while. The standard frames start with an SAS prefix. Single stacks with a TS or MS prefix. Not sure of any significance to the serial numbers.

Just to keep the numerology buffs busy, I have 2 old STI guns: EM 1xxx and ST 1xx. I can see where the CM migh be for Chip McCormick and ST might be for Strayer Tripp but the EM has me baffled.

My 6in FF in on a standard frame CM 7XXX and its not but 2 or 3 years old. So its not just the wide guns with CM. I saw a 5in standard frame withe the number SAMPLE 1 and thought that had to be something rare, then I found out it belonged to Larry Sample.-------Larry

The STI modular was, as I understand it, developed by Virgil Tripp. The very early frames were marked "TRI" on the grip. Chip was the early promoter (marketer), and many of the frames he sold had the TRI replaced with CMC or such. Then, of course, came STI, and, later, SV.

TRI = Tripp Research (Inc. or Int'l)

CMC = Chip McCormick Corp.

STI = Strayer Tripp Inc (originally - now simply STI, I think)

SV = Strayer Voigt

But I don't know about the serial number prefixes.

Guy

• 12 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2006 at 9:53 PM, MasterLefty said:

They are all initials of different people. At least since Dave took over the company.

Wide dust covers start with CM (I'm not sure who that is).

Standard dust covers start with SAS, and this is Shirley's initials.

Kenny

Just purchased a Eagle 6.0 with a SAS serial #, can you tell me more about "Shirley's" guns and if there is any meaning?  I did reach out to STI but they were unable to give me a build date for the pistol.

Thanks,

--BF

• 3 weeks later...

I still have one (1) custom serial number STI frame... still brand new.. waiting...

and i have sold the other which was my Matt McLearn Open Gun using an STI Frame. 

Edited by Yagi