Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I generally hear what the dates are just about the same time you do.

Not saying that's optimal. That's just how it is.

Have - several times over the past several years - offered a motion for a non-binding resolution which indicates the Board's desire to have next year's Nationals dates announced no later than the end of the current year's Nationals season, but... for myriad reasons, the resolution has never passed. Which is especially annoying because it wouldn't actually *do* anything except put it on the record that that is what the Board *wants*, and we can't even seem to agree on that....

B :ph34r:

You guys should run for a Washington office :ph34r:

How to alienate the entire BOD in one sentence. B)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tellin' it like it is. I am incredibly frustrated that we have to have this conversation every year. Most of the Area matches know their dates a year out. In Area-1, we have a tradition of announcing next-year's venue at the end of this-year's match (we missed it this year, but only because the intended venue backed out at the last moment). I just don't understand why we (collectively, blaming no one in particular) can't solve this at the Nationals level.

And, the "blame" for the failed resolutions, at the end of the day, comes back to me anyway. I like to think that I am pretty good at building consensus, and clearly I have not been very successful on this one.

B

Edited by bgary

Moving matches around is probably a good idea as those in one corner of the country or the other can make a reasonably short trip. Even though I live in Montana I would make the trip to Tulsa for a limited Nationals, but I would only travel that distance once every three or four years. As for nationals scheduling, I wonder how good of an idea it is to schedule a match three years in advance with an all volunteer group of of club officials that could change drastically in a year or two.

Not that this adds anything particularly to what everyone has had to say but at the "Members Meeting" which happened during the Nationals & had maybe 20 attendees other than the BOD guys, Michael Voigt pretty well made it clear that the nat'ls next year would be in Montana & Tulsa.

As a side note, I think the meeting was a great idea, too bad it got one little line in the match book with no explanation of what a member's meeting was, much less who was going to be there. I was at the least impressed with several of the bod guys & my opinion of MV changed quite a bit. Before this, I thought bad things(let's leave it at that) of him, after the meeting I could at least understand him & the direction uspsa is going a little bit. It was an interesting time, at least for the most part. Then of course, some guy showed up late & wanted to go through the whole list of things he had missed while explaining his particular skew on it all. That was when we left. I think there were several interesting ideas tossed out for us to think about. You guys that missed it, missed out. MLM

There were 15 including the BOD members. Last years Nationals had 12 so there is a slightly upward trend :D

They have these members meetings at every Nationals, there were signs posted all over the range. But each year we get less than 20 members to show up. Kind of sad really.

The meetings are always interesting; The BOD's position on Production was very interesting and it was good to get some background on the whole IPSC / USPSA thing.

The meetings are always interesting; The BOD's position on Production was very interesting and it was good to get some background on the whole IPSC / USPSA thing.

Isn't that like a judge or a marriage guidance counsellor hearing only one side of the story from only one of the parties? I'd like to see reps from USPSA and IPSC in a real debate so we can hear both sides of the story instead of the typical "our guy said whatever, so it must be right" narrow mindedness.

Not that this adds anything particularly to what everyone has had to say but at the "Members Meeting" which happened during the Nationals & had maybe 20 attendees other than the BOD guys, Michael Voigt pretty well made it clear that the nat'ls next year would be in Montana & Tulsa. ...

MLM

And this is the point of this whole thread. Not the membership meeting or the USPSA/IPSC rift. When and where are the nationals going to be held?????

Until we know at least one year in advance, the board and the president need to be held accountable. There is little if anything else of equal importance. Keep in mind that it is only the first year that requires longer range and double planning. After that we need only plan one match but two years out.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

And this is the point of this whole thread. not the membership meeting or the USPSA/IPSC rift. When and where are the nationals going to be held?????

Until we know at least one year in advance, the board and the president eed to be held accountable. There is little if anything else of equal importance. Keep in mind that it is only the first year that requires longer range and double planning. After that we need only plan one match but two years out.

Jim

+1

And a big AMEN!!!!!!!

Ok,

We have it on reliable secondhand rumor that one national may be held in Missoula, MT and that another may be held in Tulsa, OK.

I will now book flights to both cities for every week of the year starting in July and ending in October. I will also book rooms in both cities and just in case, I will also book a room in Barry.

Hey, why not? We have a rumor, let's all rush out and act on it!

Jim

Probably Missoula, site of the 2005 Area 1 Championship

I know others aren't going to be happy if it's in Missoula....but I LOVE that range. It is so beautiful there in Missoula (not to mention its God's country)......the range is HUGE and the people are great there.

I'm really hoping its the Limited Nationals that land in Missoula....I'll be there in a second!

You are right. I shot a match in Missoula and the range is beautiful. There are trees everywhere and if held at the right time of year the weather will be perfect. My only problem is the distance from home.

But no matter where Nationals is I will try to get there, if I'm lucky enough to get a slot that is.

Beautiful or not, I'll bet at least 95% of the USPSA membership lives more than 1,000 miles away from Missoula. And it's not anywhere near an airline hub, so flights are going to be inconvenient and expensive.

Good place to hold a section match, maybe an area match. Not a good choice for a national match.

Or so it seems to me.

It's not like people flying in won't have to rent a car anyway. Get in, drive the 200 miles and enjoy the scenery. It's no big deal. The range is beautiful, lush and green, and there's lots of nice stuff to do and beautiful country to explore. I can't imagine for the life of me why anybody would be upset over going to Montana but be just thrilled to go to Vegas or <gag> Barry.

Beautiful or not, I'll bet at least 95% of the USPSA membership lives more than 1,000 miles away from Missoula. And it's not anywhere near an airline hub, so flights are going to be inconvenient and expensive.

Good place to hold a section match, maybe an area match. Not a good choice for a national match.

Or so it seems to me.

WOW,

I may be new to the sport but how is this going to serve the majority of the USPSA membership. I can see alternating between the coasts but this would be a bit much.

The sites are dependent on who bids for a Nationals.

You guys are complaining about the location when there is a high probability that there were only two to three ranges that asked to host a match and are capable of holding a national level match.

When I went to Bary, I had to fly into St Louis and drive a rental 2-2.5 hours to the hotel... and the hotel was 30-45 minutes away from the range.

Having to fly in and drive a couple of hours is not a new thing. We've had the Nationals in Bary for what? 20 years?

MV toured the range in Missoula this summer for 2 days.He semed to approve of our facility.Not up to USSA standards,but we do a good job.Let's hope Nats is not in June as that is the rainiest month of the year in Missoula.

Bubba

It's not like people flying in won't have to rent a car anyway. Get in, drive the 200 miles and enjoy the scenery. It's no big deal. The range is beautiful, lush and green, and there's lots of nice stuff to do and beautiful country to explore. I can't imagine for the life of me why anybody would be upset over going to Montana but be just thrilled to go to Vegas or <gag> Barry.

Don't worry about the whiners... "nothing to do" is just code for "no strip clubs". :ph34r:

I'm going to be hauling my happy self from about as far away in the US as you can get if the Open's in Montana.

Don't worry about the whiners... "nothing to do" is just code for "no strip clubs". :ph34r:

I'm going to be hauling my happy self from about as far away in the US as you can get if the Open's in Montana.

And when you get here, the first pitcher is on me. :)