Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are The Top Production Shooters Moving To 40?

vincent

Heard a comment yesterday that "all the top (Production) shooters are moving to .40 minor..." and was wondering if it's really true.

What is the word from the folks that went to Nationals? Who was shooting what? The more info the better.

Rob Leatham - XD/9mm

Angus SP-01/9mm

Dave Sevigny- G34/9mm

Robert Vogel - G35/40

Matt Mink - SP-01/9mm

Todd Jarret - Para LDA/9mm

Phil Strader - G17/9mm

Travis Tomasie - G34/9mm

Ted Puente - G35/40

Taran Butler - G34/9mm

Danial Horner - Glock?/9mm

David Olhasso - XD/40

Ron Avery - XD/9mm?

Tony Hawkins - G34/9mm

Mike Seeklander - XD/9mm

Kyle Farris - G35/40

Also,

Roger Sherman - Sig?/9mm

Eric Lund - Sig?/9mm

Gilbert Perez - Sig?/9mm

John Flentz - SW 5906/9mm

Tony Hawkins - G34/9mm

Ara Maljian - G34/9mm

Darrion Holiwell - CZ?/9mm

Scott Warren - SW M&P/9mm

Todd Sindelar - G22/40

Steve Moneypenny - Tangfolio/9mm

Updated with info from posts.

Edited by Flexmoney

Yes I shoot a G34/9.

Of the B squad at Tulsa, Flex was the only one in the squad that shot a 40. Roger, Bear, and Gil shot Sigs in 9. Avery and Seeker shot XD/9's. John shot a 5906 5 incher. Bobby McGee shot a M&P 9. Ara and I shot G34's. Flex shot his G35. Darrion shot a CZ/9.

Ted shot a G35

Edited by Caspian_45

Bob Vogel shoots a G34.

-----------------------

And...none of it matters much. I've shot 40 in Production because it was always convenient for me (all the same components, just a pinch more TiteGroup than my Limited load). Now, with the bullet prices up like they are, I may look at switching to 9mm.

Find something that is accurate, that runs, and takes down steel how you like. It ought to be convenient. It doesn't matter if it is 9mm or 40.

I would suggest that people load to 135-140 power factor as their minimum. If there is any gain from loading lower than that...well, I've never seen it. We are talking minor here. A 140pf load isn't going to hurt anybody's score. It will probably take steel down a little better. It will probably run the gun a little better. You'll never have to stress at the chrono. (and, many that bump their production loads up off the floor a bit...they report actually liking the feel of the gun better than those complete mouse fart loads)

(and, many that bump their production loads up off the floor a bit...they report actually liking the feel of the gun better than those complete mouse fart loads)

+1

I always liked it around 135 - 140. The gun felt like it was actually doing something.

Obviously what you were told was incorrect. A friend of mine is in the process of switching to 40 minor for production. I know that Flex shoots 40 minor, but for me, it's a no-brainer to stick with 9mm. Cheaper bulletts, less powder, and almost free brass!

Cheaper bulletts, less powder, and almost free brass!

Less powder? I use about 3.5g of TG in minor 40, I think that is nearly identical to most minor 9mm loads ?

Almost free brass? I find 40 brass and 9mm brass to be about the same...nearly free, or really cheap.

Cheaper bullets? Yup...especially with the bullet prices having gone up the last year or so.

Cheaper bulletts, less powder, and almost free brass!

Less powder? I use about 3.5g of TG in minor 40, I think that is nearly identical to most minor 9mm loads ?

Almost free brass? I find 40 brass and 9mm brass to be about the same...nearly free, or really cheap.

Cheaper bullets? Yup...especially with the bullet prices having gone up the last year or so.

You've got me on the powder. I use 3.3g...so there's no significant saving there.

I guess perceptually, I don't feel like I must find all of my 9mm brass if I shoot outdoors.

And Flex, I don't know if "Glocked" brass is an issue in 40 if you shoot minor loads, but it's been a non-issue for me in 9.

I guess perceptually, I don't feel like I must find all of my 9mm brass if I shoot outdoors.

Same with 40. It has become such a popular round (police ranges, etc.) that I think of it and 9mm as about the same.

And Flex, I don't know if "Glocked" brass is an issue in 40 if you shoot minor loads, but it's been a non-issue for me in 9.

I've never had an issue with it.

Bullets are the killer, seems like for every 4,000 40's you could have 5,000 9's (and bullets aren't cheap to start with).

Plus, with 9mm, you can run out and buy factory every so often without taking too bad of a hit.