Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Revolver Do You Use?

R112mercer

This first question relates to whatever gun you use most often in USPSA/IPSC REVOLVER Division. Not your favorite safe queen, or the gun you use in other divisions to whoop on bottomfeeders, but the gun you shoot regularly in Revolver Division.

If there's anything you want to add about your gun (Ti cylinder, custom cylinder release, who your gunsmith is, etc.) feel free to post a reply with any additional information.

This first question relates to whatever gun you use most often in USPSA/IPSC REVOLVER Division. Not your favorite safe queen, or the gun you use in other divisions to whoop on bottomfeeders, but the gun you shoot regularly in Revolver Division.

If there's anything you want to add about your gun (Ti cylinder, custom cylinder release, who your gunsmith is, etc.) feel free to post a reply with any additional information.

625/no Randy/CR Speed or Bladetech. This is my main ride for the moment. I am waiting on a Randy 25-2. Randy?............................Randy?

Edited by underlug

While Randy hasn't worked on my competition revos (yet) I do have a Randy hammer in my "B" gun (the one I ran at Nationals this year).

Both "A" & "B" have Ti cylinders.

The "A" hammer has been Carmonized.

I'm running Jerry grips on both.

Both triggers run between 5 1/4# to 5 1/2#.

The "A" has a stock (long) S&W firing pin. The "B" has a C&S firing pin. :o Both are frame mounted FP's.

I like MIM parts. :wub:

5 inch 625 with miculek grips (which I am not liking the more I shoot it) fiber optic front sight and pinnacle cylinder release. I have a 25-2 6 1/2 inch that I started out with five years ago that is stock escept for the main spring and I am seriously considering going back to that and keeping the 625 for back-up.

I'd prefer a CR Speed Holster, but the money man says I got's to keep the 002 for now.

My backup is a 4" M29 w/moon clip conversion (using 44 Russians). Both run Miculek Grips, Standard Cylinder Release and FO FS. 625 has Weigand and 29 has Millet Rear Sights. Both Taylor Throated.

Randy did the 625, Clark did the 29 Action Jobs.

For the USPSA matches I use an older 686 with the hammer nose. Randy did not work on this gun. (But I do have a great ICORE gun by Randy). Speedloaders, Jets perferred but do have a few Safariland Comp III's. I had to vote for (leather Holster) as the Hogue was not listed as an option, CR Speed would be my other choice.

4 inch 610 with Blade tech holster.

Last match I jumped over to Bubber's side of the fence. My 12 year old son used my 610 and I used my 686 with comp III's. I enjoyed it so much I am thinking about using the same setup this weekend.

Trigger jobs on both performed by myself, and are around 6 1/2 to 7 pounds.

Hey Bubber,

You said that you prefer Jets. I have never used them. What makes them better than comp III's? I have modified my comp III's (shaved them), do the jets need any tinkering to make them better?

Sorry to Hijack the thread...

This year except for one match I have been using my 25-2, I will be brandishing my 646 at the ICORE match in Mississippi later this month but that is a little off the subject.

I have yet to decide if the 25 is better than the 625.............I know the 625 is a bit more nose heavy and doesn't seem to have much muzzle lift, but I have had good results with the 25 back when I first got it and actually shot much.

If I had to go to nationals again tomorrow, I guess I'd take the 25 this time.

CR speed Belt and holster,

I do my own action work.............all my smiths run 100% at 6 pounds DA pull..........most run at 5 ish so I just run them all at 6 so I can swap up if needed and the trigger will not be any different. ;)

Vic Pickett Black Majic spring kits

Hearthco Moons at all major matches

And I still use all black sights front and back.

Jerry's grips.

But I'm just a dummy that shoots. ;)

SAM

My stuff's pretty basic.

I do all my own gun work. My actions are around 5.5 pounds.

625-6 and 625-4, both 5" of course.

Millett rear. SDM F/O front.

Ed Brown cylinder release.

Rubber Hogues.

Narrow smooth trigger.

Mixed moonclips.

CR Speed and shoot-the-moon holders.

I load on a Dillon SDB and go back through and hand-seat all my primers.

4.2 of Clays and Rainier 230-gr. plated RN in mixed ACP brass. It's every bit of 180+ p.f. but it always makes major out of Sam's old worn 25-2 and I don't want to make two different loads.....

Edited by Carmoney

I use a Smith & Wesson Model 625-3 with 5 inch barrel.

I've been using an Ernie Hill "Fas-Trac" holster(somewhat old-school), Safariland belts (inner/outer) and California Comp Works Shoot-the-Moon holders.

Right now I've got Pachmayr Compac grips (for K/L frame round butt) on, but like most wheelgunners, I've tried a few different grips, and may even try some more.

I'm not real sure whose springs are inside right now (I've used Wolff, Wilson and Bang products) but I can only blame myself for the action work.

Black sights front and rear.

While my results may not have been on the top of the score sheet, I can't blame the revolver. Now about that loose nut behind the trigger...that part I can blame :wacko:

Very Basic Setup

Revo -- 4" 625-3 Worked by a local smith... DA is prob 6.5 lbs.

Holster -- LH Talon Tactical R4 Holster

Moonclips -- Mixed bag of moonclips acquired over time

Had I known what I know now (or even three years ago) ... I would have kept the old 25 with a 6" BBL. Add it to the list of past life mistakes.

S&W 610 Classic 6.5", Standard Hogue Factory Grips.

Trigger and action job (and cylinder chamfer) by Dan Carden

Safariland 002 Cup holster

TK Custom moon holders

RIMZ Polymer moon clips (Other people can step on them and I won't cry).

I had been using the steel moons available from Dillon, but after a snafu and a screwed up classifier with a bent steel moon, I switched to the polymers. I no longer need any tools to remove them or add them to the clips.

Vince

I use a 25-2 with a 6.5" barrel and a SS cylinder. Found the SS cylinder raised velocity over original. It also looks cool. Trigger pull at 6 pounds. Will lower later this year. Self gunsmithed. Use All Fed. brass, 230 gr Rem FMJ, 4.1gr. clays. Ranch moonclips. moonclip carrier by Elliot Ayen. Holster by speedsec. Love the holster. Tried them all except cr speed. Working on a backup 25-2 now. Also have 2 PC625 5.25 inc barrels. Can not bring myself to try them yet. Will give one of them to my wife when I take my GP100 back from her.

I started with speedloader and 686, then moonclipped 625, now the best of both: moonclipped 40 cal 646. I wish it had a 5" barrell , available as a catalog item and would be perfect!

Homemade fiberoptic front sight, bobbed hammer and extralenght firing pin, that's all.

Speedsec holster coupled with 3 homemade Bladetech clone double carriers.

Ammo: 206RN copperplated lead bullet, 4.5 of Yellow Rex, SP Federal primer, any brand of brass, IPSC 173 PF and not too bad to control.

I thought I was the only one here with a speedloader gun - glad to be wrong. :)

6" M14-3, found in a pawnshop for $180 and originally used as my bullseye centerfire gun. 002 holster, inner and outer belts, Comp II speedloaders and CD2 speedloader holders from Safariland, JM grips.

Load is yet to be determined, near term will probably be whatever charge of American Select is needed to push 158 gr. Berry's RNs to 830 fps, long term probably whatever load I can come up with for Precision or MasterBlaster bullets that doesn't lead and is clean. I'm using Winchester brass, because I have a bunch and can segregate my match ammo that way (IDPA ammo will use Federal for the same reasons).

Backup gun is a 4" M67 which I used forever in IDPA. Currently cruising the pawnshops for a backup 6" gun. :P

wlktheduk, I took the nose piece out of my old Ernie Hill Rig and using a trimmed down piece of aluminum attached it to my 4" 002 holster. Makes a perfect holster for my 5 1/4" PC625. Without the nose piece I kept knocking the 5" barrel out of the 4" holster, almost lost it several times, while R.O.ing.

So I guess my holster is an Eriland Trac-2 :P .

Been shooting a 625-3 and a 646. Both have Miculek grips. Spring kits in both guns, bobbed the hammer on the 646. Shoot them both out of a Comp-tac locking paddle and a combination of CCW spring steel and Ready tactical kydex moonclip holders.

Just built a load for the 646 using 200 RNFP Rainier bullets over 5.3 WSF and Federal primers. Although the load is stouter than a comparable one in the 625, I like the way the 646 handles.

Jerry

My Revolver is a 625 with a 25-2 6.5" barrel.

I have a ti cylinder but not in the gun right now.

Randy did the work on the gun it's about 4.5lbs trigger pull.

My load is 230gr. Bear Creek bullet with 3.7 clays about 170 PF.

John

I have a 625-8 with a 625-3 for backup. Both 5" barrels. The both have bobbed hammers ( looking forward to getting a Randy hammer for my -3), the -8 has the "Black Magic" spring set and the -3 has custom bend springs by me. I use the CRSpeed holster and belt system with the Bladetech moonclip holders.

I also have a 610 and a 686 for if I ever decide to shoot IDPA.

Hey what about the 627? it gets no respect....they let guys in there with 610's, but no 627's...

seesh....

michaels

Most guys don't use 7 or 8 shooters in USPSA/IPSC Revolver Division to prevent firing more than 6 and getting kicked to Open. That's why I didn't include them in the poll.

-625-8 5"

-Round_Gun_Shooter action and bobbed hammer

-Wide, grooved, "old-style" trigger

-SDM FO green FS

-Millet WOL rear

-Pinnacle Custom Cylinder release

-The old rubber grips it came with (hacked to near smooth with pocketknife)

-CR Speed holster, Safariland belt, Bladetech holders, Ranch moons for any matches, misc. for practice

edited to add content.

Edited by Mooney

I use a 610-4 inch

my own action work

wolfe main spring

jerrys trigger rebound

gun runs right about 6 lbs

ball detent (removed front lug)

internal trigger stop- will not shoot single action

blade-tech/saffariland holsters

rimz moon clips plastic(only work on the 610)

180 gr berrys round nose

5.3 gr wst powder

1.125 OAL

rubber hugue stock grips

bobbed min hammer

SDM f/o front sight

had all bull cylinders fluted (helps reduce notch wear)

Gary

I'm really suprised at the second place finisher in the gun category. The K/L frames with speedloaders beat out 625's with 4" tubes and either 610 variant. I thought for sure there would be more 610 users out there, and I thought there would be more of the 4" version than the "rare" 6.5" version. The 25-2 had a good showing as well. Almost a third of the guys who voted have some degree of Randy's work in their guns, and there's quite a few guys running bone stock guns.