Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Michael Schumacher

outerlimits

While it is truly an end of an era, there will be others.

Was the sport ever going to be the same after..

Senna died

Prost left

and on.....

Some would argue that it's Bernie's flying circus anyway but this probably isn't the forum for that.

F1 is the ultimate racing IMO, without a lot of the 'level the playing field' type rules. F1 is the 'what is actually possible within a fairly wide set of rules' racing that people can really sink their teeth into. F1 is the standard by which all other road racing is judged IMO.

I am not concerned that Schumacher is leaving, it should make for better racing. He is a step ot two above the others, and could win in less than the best car fielded for the day. F1 should be more of a fight now between the teams and drivers, and that is what I like to see.

Rally car is my other racing hitch, rally racing would be what I would want to do if I could pick.

Being an engineer, I'm kind of bored with F1 especially with all the rule changes in the last 10 years. Racing in the late 80's, early 90's was much more interesting even though they had active suspension, ABS, traction control, launch control, etc. There was actually passing back then.

I hate there's a lack of technology in F1. The big thing for this year was a mass dampener which is now banned. Mass dampeners aren't even that sophisticated.

He can always join the master's series to prove how good he really is.

He has said until they put him in identical cars as everyone else, no one knows who is faster.

Maybe he needs to go on Top Gear and drive the Suzuki. Nigel Mansell is still the fastest. Faster than Prost, Blundell, and Button.

He can always join the master's series to prove how good he really is.

He has said until they put him in identical cars as everyone else, no one knows who is faster.

Maybe he needs to go on Top Gear and drive the Suzuki. Nigel Mansell is still the fastest. Faster than Prost, Blundell, and Button.

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to go back in time and put Nigel in NASCAR instead of the Indy cars! :P

FM

This seems to be one of the last shoes to drop on F1. As many have said, I am also disappointed to see how the technology has been throttled and now the best driver of all time is leaving the sport. I think many of the rumors about Michael being pushed out of F1 might have some merit. Ferrari wanting to solidify their team for the next three years with Kimi leaving McLaren. I would love to see MS move into another type of racing such as endurance racing like Lemans and start dominating that sport, just to show he is still the best.

Adam

I'm not entirely convinced he's done. I'm thinking out of respect for Ferrari he made the 'spot' available for Massa. I'll be routing for the red cars regardless. If he is done, he might have been arguably the very best ever in F1.

Its sad to see him leave, but he is the oldest driver, (he says most experienced) haha

I hate him because he's 6 years younger than me, better looking, world famous and has made over 1 billion dollars doing what he loves and what I wish I could do....is that hate or envy?

• 1 month later...

The changing of the guard. :(

82184.jpg

Alonso pays tribute to Schumi

Sunday October 22 2006

A gracious Fernando Alonso has paid tribute to the retiring Michael Schumacher.

After a contentious and occasionally bitter fight for the Drivers' World Championship, the Spaniard secured his second title at the Brazilian GP by taking second place. The tension-filled race marked the closure of Schumi's F1 career with the German delivering a stunning fightback to take fourth place.

"It has been very close," admitted Alonso. "I think it was good to fight with him. I always said that to become champion when Michael on the track was valuable than when he retired. I was extremely lucky to win the last two championships he raced in.

"We all wish him the best for his new life. For us, it has been a pleasure to race with him."

The Sao Paulo race also brought the curtain down on Alonso's career at Renault with the 25-year-old moving to McLaren as the sport's youngest back-to-back champion.

Speaking on his own race Alonso was naturally extremely pleased with the whole weekend.

"It is an unbelievable feeling," he remarked. "The position in the grand prix doesn't matter. The important thing was to win the Championship - and we did it."

"It's been a fantastic weekend.

"It was a very good race for us. I only needed a point to become champion, and I was ready to help the team become constructors' championships.

"These points were good enough for me to become champion for a second consecutive time. It's a great feeling."

Alonso's Renault team boss Flavio Briatore also paid tribute to Schumacher following his amazing drive at Interlagos.

"I think today we have to show great respect for Michael Schumacher, because what he's done today will go down in the history of F1," Briatore told RAI television. "He was flying. I don't know what he had but he was literally flying.

"We've won a difficult championship against an extrememly difficult rival, Ferrari, so congratulations to them too for keeping the title open even too much."

I have been watching F1 for a long time and watched MS's very first race in F1 all the way down to his last race. It is watchng history being made. It was amazing!!! No one will ever be a 7 time world champion again. It was kind of funny, if you watched all of his races and to think that only in the last two rases his "luck" finally ran out to not be a 8 time world champion. I loved wathing all of the years he race. Of course I also love watching Arton and Nigel and well you get the point. I can't wait for next year. Mclaren sucks. Ferarri with no MS or Ross B. Red bull has Adrean Newey as a designer. Honda maybe, BMW Yes. Wow It will be fun, fun, fun! And I LOVE IT!!!

Scott P

I know I shouldn't be amazed, but I am....with the indepth knowledge of one of the most complex sports today....this is primarily a shooting forum, but the base of knowledge about F1 on this forum is very deep...really amazing... :)