Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Enthusiast Or Competitive Shooter?

JTR

revolver enthusiast or competitive shooter?

Curious

Are you a revolver enthusiast who shoots competitively?

OR

A competitive shooter who chooses a wheel gun?

Just a question I have been pondering for a while now seeing some of the fast guys with all their equipment. Do they shoot anything else for fun? Is it all sport? Sold everything else off to fund the game? Or are you an enthusiast/aficionado who wants to play the game?

What else do you enjoy?

Competitive enthusiast that also shoots revolver.

Why? The skillset needed to shoot revolver well is very different from semi-land.

It's a lot of fun.

3-Gun, Limited. Limited-10, Production, Trap, Skeet, Clays, High Power, etc., etc., etc.. This includes but is not limited to banging away at a tin can and golf balls with a 22.

Everything is shot for fun.

This is a great thread. I have wanted to know this for a while myself.

I am a competitive shooter who chooses a revolver as a platform. I started USPSA in 1994, with an autoloader, and made the switch to a round gun in 2003. I have been shooting almost entirely with the revo now, and I find that I am actually better with revolvers than I am when I pick up the old 1911.

The auto is still fun, and I keep telling myself that I should shoot it more, but I never break it out of the gunsafe for more than a practice session.

I find it to be more rewarding to shoot well with a revolver, especially when I end up beating bottom feeders. (just a chip on my shoulder, I guess)

Take care,

DM

I am competitive enthusiast that also shoots revolver. I starded out 2 years ago with my bottom feeder and was talked into shooting my SW model 10 to help the REVOLVER group grow in number within our sport. I went to a SW model 66 and now shoot a 625-8.

I enthusiast about the sport in general and with the revolver. I competitive in as much as I know I'm only competing against 6 shot revolvers. Can't get close to those 17 to 27 round mag shooters and shouldn't try. I hear alot about a stage not being revolver friendly. SURE THEY ALL ARE FRIENDLY since again, I'm only competing against other revolvers.

I just got back from Dundee OR watching the annual CRAZY CROC match. It was great to see so many revolver shooters there. Some from OR, some from ID and WA. Since this was a 400 plus round match it was also funny to see 12 and more moon clip holders on each shooters belt. They had a BLAST. B)

I love the revolver. Started with one 30 years ago, made a mistake and went to an auto but went back to revolver and never regretted it. I shoot USPSA and ICORE whenever I can. I may not come in at the top of the scoresheet but I do manage to beat some of the auto guys.

Are you a revolver enthusiast who shoots competitively?
Yep, that'd be me. Mostly IDPA, but recently I've started USPSA, which is another animal entirely. The competitor part may be making inroads on the enthusiast part now. :)

I learned to shoot with only revolvers in the beginning, but I've never shot one in sanctioned matches. Most of them were sold or traded for shotguns and my sole 1911.

I still love revolvers, and wish I had the time to train with 1911s and revolvers for competition. But I don't, and even if I did, it would be tough for me to learn both at the same time.

On the other hand, I do have some sort of growing urge to become one of those guys who can flat rip with an old bone-stock tapered barrel S&W M-10.

Edited by JD45

Hmmmm!

Always loved Revolvers and had many as a youngster.

"I" Bought my first gun which was a Ruger Super Single Six at the tender age of 15 in 1971. Never liked Auto's then. Still trying to find any gun as fun as the old 1917 .455 Webley/converted to 45 Colt (split every 5th case). But it would out shoot the M28 or 27 I had.

In 1978 the IPSC bug bit me and I started shooting competitively with a Combat Commander in .45. Natural progression within the sport took me thru the early '90's and the Hi-Cap, Comped, Dot Sighted Caspian 1911. Shot my first few Limited Matches with a M28. Burnt out in mid '90's and came back slowly with the Limited 10 Division (the only competitive gun I had at the time).

When IPSC brought up the Revolver Division, I just had to try it. Loved it. Still like shooting the 1911 and probably will campaign some time in Limited, with a proper gun, just to see how well I can match up with the "Big" Dawgs in the "Big" Division.

All said I really don't know what I am. I am so hooked on the "RUSH" of IPSC competition that it kind of distorts things. Even though I like Revolvers, I'd probably fall into the Competitor who happens to shoot a Revolver.

One of the reasons I like Revolver in IPSC is the complexity of the courses. Shooting a Hi-Cap has it's challenges, but after a while the courses all look the same. It's so much simpler when you don't have to plan out your reloads. But, it takes out half the fun!

Started shooting in 1993 bullseye type (ISU and NRA) shooting then moved to a modified type of PPC native to PR. My first revo was a K38 and I want to kick myself in the arse every time I remember I sold it. However, I sold it for a good cause, I needed my first IPSC gun. Discovered practical shooting in 1996 and haven't looked back.

A Tanfoglio, 2 Colts, a P-14, my first STI, burnout (actually got tired of the IPSC PR royalty), about 10 Glocks, moved to the CONUS, more STIs...

One day in 1998 Yamil offered me an IPSC revolver, a SW625-2 with 100 moonclips, 7 clip holders and a Safariland Cup holster. I didn't have anything to do or anybody to shoot against with that gun but it was an IPSC gun, so I had to have it. Back in PR I convinced two friends to shoot the Y2K season with a revo. We had a lot of fun that year, the three of us.

Back to the safe the revo went until New Year's day '05 when I shot my first USPSA classifier with it because my "compadre" that was visiting for New Year's was shooting my limited gun. Then took the revo out again when my STI's became my sons guns in October last year. My friend Hopalong also encouraged me to return to the gun with which I suck the worst. ;) Now I have a second 625 worked by the Apexman himself.

I'm a competition (not competitive) shooter, presently shooting a revolver and loving it!

to be continued

Competitive shooter who shoots a wheelgun.

I have been competing with a round gun now since the early 80's. PPC, Combat, Bullseye.

Got into IPSC 'cuz it looked more fun than just standing there shooting at circles.

Bought a bottom feeder just to shoot L-10 with, but Lord Carmoney pulled me back to the round side. So I bought a 625 to play the game with.

It's more demanding. Much like the reason I started shooting Bullseye. It caused me to improve my basic fundamentals. Then my Combat scores started moving up. It forces me to plan a stage in more detail because of the ammo limitation, instead of spraying till I get to the end. Now when I shoot my 1911, I am much faster than before.

And I must agree that the cheap skate in me can't believe the amount of brass people walk off and leave. With a Revo I get to take it all back home with me, fill them back up, cork the end and use 'em again.

And I believe Deano did shoot a Revo in Rio Bravo, and Sons of Katie Elder. Pay no attention to Matt Helm, that's a sissy gun.

I've been shooting revolvers for decades and carry one daily. It's a lot of fun shooting them at Championships because people are so surprised by the concept. For the 2005 GA State IDPA Championship I shot a Charter Arms Police Bulldog snub. So far I've shot the IDPA National Championship twice with a wheelgun and this year will make the third time.

Revolvers teach me a lot about trigger management and fire discipline; I like that.

I guess I would say I'm a revolver enthusiast who shoots competitively.

Edited by HeadHunter

Wow guys, this is great.

Neat to hear everybody’s background.

I grew up shooting with my dad. Got into High Power Service Rifle 1986 at the age of 14; that wasn’t my game.

Moved to Arizona in 1993 for school and that’s where everything really started. When I moved down there I had a Smith 629-?, a Taurus PT-92 and an SKS (everybody has got to start somewhere). While there I met some wonderful people who introduced me to all different facets of the gun world. One of them, a gunsmith, Neson Ford, got me hooked on Smith revolvers, Colt autos and the Class III world.

As it is, I’d say I’m an avid shooter who dabbles in the competitive side of things. That dabbling is becoming more and more frequent and occupies more daydreams than before.

I’ve still got a few Colt autos, but also enjoy the SIGs and Glocks. The class III world is very prohibitive, but I try to do my part and collect some stamps. I’ve also gotten into military type rifles; arfs, AKs, M14s and FALs. The Smith revolvers are my passion though. At the shows they are what really catches my eye. I’ve heard before some say that "a Glock doesn’t have a soul." The obverse then, a Smith revolver is all soul; there’s nothing like a big blue N-Frame.

Especially if it's one of the older Royal Blue finishes. They are simply gorgeous. Almost too pretty to shoot.

I've been able to keep myself away from the Class III stuff, that can get expensive in a hurry. So I just try to make my Smith sound like one. :lol::lol::lol: