Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"custom Revolvers From The Past" Photo Thread

Carmoney

OK, you know how I feel about spending money needlessly on custom doo-dads that don't really do anything. Yes, I am sort of the technology grinch around here. But now, just for fun, let's sit down and compare photos of some of the efforts that have been made over the years to improve wheelgun technology--who knows, maybe something here will stir up some new innovative juices! If nothing else, it'll be fun. Please add photos, guys!

#1 I'll start with my own favorite custom revo, made by the hands of the late, great John Nowlin himself, back before most shooters had heard his name. I used this custom 25-2 to win a Second Chance shoot-off back around '89 or '90. It's got a ported Shilen barrel with interchangeable underlugs, and a shortened cylinder. post-4033-1155097905.jpg

#2 Here's a wild one! The Schottler boys used to cart this thing around on a frickin' sling. I'm not kidding. Yes, that's a Model 28 with a 15" barrel and an AR comp opened up to .365. post-4033-1155098333.jpg

#3 Here's Jerry's 10-5/8" Clark Custom M-27. This is the one he used at Second Chance in 1993, finishing in third place that year. You can definitely see a lot of features that were later incorporated into the Performance Center models. post-4033-1155098790.jpg

#4 One more for tonight.....this one's an Alan Tanaka ICORE gun, built during a time when ICORE was actually considering recognizing a separate class for (get this) "Unlimited Snub-Nose"! That's right--a PDP-2 red dot scope is fine, as long as the barrel length is 3" or less! I shit you not. post-4033-1155099287.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

Mike if you're this bored working in CA. Go to the Beach! If you're back in the Cornfields, you better be practicin' for the Nats. I picked you or Danbagger to upset JM!

That Nowlin Piece is a Beaut! Use it in ICORE?

It's hard to "show" a pix of a truly great Action Job! And that's about as trick as it gets.

That Nowlin Piece is a Beaut! Use it in ICORE?

Dave, ICORE was really only getting started about the time I took my "sabbatical" from serious competitive shooting (to have kids and go back to school), and the whole ICORE thing has never really taken off in this area--so no, I never shot ICORE with it. In fact, the only ICORE match I've ever shot was Bud Bond's Rocky Mountain match last year, and I used an 8-shooter.

The Nowlin gun was built for Barney Niner on a gun he won at Second Chance. John Nowlin told me it was one of a kind, and he put special care into building it because he considered Barney an "up-and-comer" and figured it would get the Nowlin name out there. (Keep in mind, at that time, Nowlin worked behind the scenes making barrels and parts for everybody else, but nobody knew who he was.) But Barney was always one of those guys who changed guns all the time, so the 25-2 came on the market. I grabbed it, and it became my primary pin gun (replacing my other 25-2, the one that Sam shoots currently) after I used it to make Master Blaster my first year at Second Chance. I finally got away from shooting it when I switched to the Baumannizer--from that point on, it was the gun I shot for the 8-pin mandatory reload event, but not much else.

I've only installed the heavy underlug once, and didn't like the muzzle-heavy feel at all. But it's a beautiful package. I know I shot at least one IPSC match with it, years and years ago (at Boone, Iowa) because I remember the hand breaking in the middle of the match and the cylinder not turning. I only shot a couple of IPSC matches in the "early days," all I really knew how to do back then was stand and shoot, starting from low ready. That's how we shot all our pin and steel matches back then. So all this drawing from a holster and running around stuff is still pretty new to me! :)

Drawing only takes a second, or so, not much difference. Me thinks you've gotten past that little issue. The running around is a bit different than any other shooting sports though. But hey, you're a lawyer you know how to run and talk at the same time! HA!HA! :D Dare I say you can keep notes too?

You want to talk old time, I remember sitting in a Pizza Place across from the Bullet Hole for one of their early Indoor Championships (early '80's) and listening to 2 up and coming Pistolsmiths, Les Baer and Richard Heine, talk of their preferences in 1911 slide tightness. Man the talent and knowledge that passed thru there was amazing.

I even saw some Revo's back then on occassion!

I keep toying with the idea of starting an ICORE Match somewhere close. Just can't bring myself to commit to extended match organization again. Shot the Arkansas Regional in March and it was a lot of fun. Of course, Good people = good matches. Maybe you can get down there next year. I think the Luttrells are going to try to move it up a little, wait and see.

Edited by pskys2

C'mon guys, you gonna make me do all the work here or what?? Let's see some pics of some kool kustom wheels!! Doug, at least put up a shot of your "starter pistol on steroids", OK?

Here's the Andy Cannon "Street-L" with integral comp, complete with bocote Spegels. Another of the original generation of competition gunsmiths, Andy passed away a couple years back. He claimed to have shot over a million rounds of ammo through various revolvers (in practice and competition) during his career as a PPC shooter. post-4033-1155176031.jpg

Another Andy Cannon custom revo, this gun of Mas Ayoob's was built on a 25-2 specifically for pin-shooting. Photo circa 1991 or so. post-4033-1155176510.jpg

Photographer extraordinaire Ichiro Nagata was one of the early ICORE guys, remember when they were all trying to outdo each other with wacky barrels?? post-4033-1155177294.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

Let's see if I did this right. I have a picture of "Elroy" the 38 Super eight shot from the Late eighties or early nineties. It was the softest shooting revo I ever got to shoot, till the GunSmith wanted it back. :(

post-309-1155177591.jpg

If I could figure out how to put pictures on this forum I would post a one of a kind 610 made by Charlie Prest of RPM (no longer in business and the first maker of an 8 shot 38 super) sweet gun but only a six shot. Trigger pull at 4 to 5 pounds and reliant ignition on federal primers. If someone can tell me how to put pictures on I will put on this beauty

Traded to me by the late, great Mr. Phil Reed (dam I still miss him :( )

Me too, Dave. I have many fond memories of shooting and talking and smoking cheap cigars with Philly. He was one of a kind. His wife always called us (Phil's shooting friends) the "bait and bullets guys." :)

If someone can tell me how to put pictures on I will put on this beauty

Can you email it to me Dean?

Edited by Carmoney

Let's see if I did this right. I have a picture of "Elroy" the 38 Super eight shot from the Late eighties or early nineties. It was the softest shooting revo I ever got to shoot, till the GunSmith wanted it back. :(

Was "Elroy" George Jettson's gun?

• 8 years later...

#4 One more for tonight.....this one's an Alan Tanaka ICORE gun, built during a time when ICORE was actually considering recognizing a separate class for (get this) "Unlimited Snub-Nose"! That's right--a PDP-2 red dot scope is fine, as long as the barrel length is 3" or less! I shit you not. attachicon.gifattachment

A scoped BUG. Cool!

I just bought a 25-2 it has a nowlin

barrel that says 45acp.It shoots great! But I don't know anything about it including value. HELP!

Way to resurrect a 9 year old dead post with your very first post.

at least it's a cool thread

I feel like I am looking through old American Handgunner Magazines. All the greats had spreads done on their wares. Andy Cannon, Tanaka, etc. I always wanted a Street L . And when I purchased grips for my USPSA wheelgun, I had Hogue make me some "Ichi" grips . Gotta love these blast from the past. :)

I saw this thread pop up, and I thought to myself, hey that's a good idea for a BE Revo forum conversation!......then I realized who started the discussion. I had completely forgotten!

I saw this thread pop up, and I thought to myself, hey that's a good idea for a BE Revo forum conversation!......then I realized who started the discussion. I had completely forgotten!

Mike, they say that our MEMORY is the Second thing to go--I can't remember what is FIRST--LOL!