Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Into Open Any Tips

John Suber

You still have to aim, but don't look at the dot, don't close your jaw or your teeth will rattle, dont stick your gun in a barrel, and when shooting around walls and barricades remeber the barrel is much lower than the sight (don't shoot all the props), you still need to practice your reloads.

Well, I can't really give any tips for Open class, but if you shoot like you did at Area 6 a few months ago, I can't wait to see you in a few years with an open gun. I am still impressed with your performance.

Watch out guys, this one is coming up in the ranks like a rocket!

GlockSpeed31

hi i have been shooting limited for a while but now i am moving into open.... Does anyone have any tips?????? :):):):):):) :)

d_8211.jpg

Make sure your equipment is 100% that includes magazines and ammo. Double check everything before a match, and don’t change anything that is not broken.

It is fun!

My best advice (as a Limited shooter) is to spend a lot of time on this site reading everything you can find about shooting Open guns. Lots of great stuff and it's free!

FWIW, I would read and take to heart only those eredite words of the M and GM shooters who have been there, done that.. .02 worth.. while we all are still learning, perhaps their posts might shorten your learning curve.. :)

There is a potential to get "overloaded" with all the feedback the dot gives you. A lot of people think they are shooting too slow and shoot past the dot return.

The other challenge is finding the dot. Dry fire and time cures that if it happens.

Edited by BSeevers

The biggest thing is what everyone has been saying. Having a dot does not give you a license not to aim.

Dry fire with an Open gun is incredibly important because if your index isn't spot on you will never be consistent in locating the dot.

BUY the EGW undersized dies, for what ever caliber you choose...I have them for all calibers... can't think of ANYTHING that has made life more enjoyible. USE a SLOWER powder if you choose 9mm major. Have FUN!!! (I'm a "SUPER SENIOR", working with a friend on the 1.5 trigger for the XD-40 that's coming next week)... Probably the MOST important thing to remember is............YOU can't have to many guns!!

As John's "Sponsor", I thought I would chime in........

Thanks for all of the information. We are both new to open - I only shoot Limited so I have not been much help to him (other than the financing :huh: ). Of course, I have worked out the standard sponsor contract: 1. Grades must remain good; 2. Yardwork kept up; 3. Dogs fed; 4. Car washes; and 5. Other duties as assigned.

We did learn an important lesson the other day - turn dot "OFF" after dry-fire. Those batteries can eat up an allowance pretty quickly.

I will say he seems to enjoy shooting the open gun much more than Limited. I guess its a lot like a video game. He will shoot his first match in Open tomorrow. It should be fun.

Now, as a sponsor, I think it is only good business to use the same equipment as the sponsored shooter. Don't y'all agree? So, I have been trying to convince his mother that I should also have an Open gun so I can properly instruct him. She hasn't quite gone for that one, yet. <_< .

I am sure John will give y'all a report after the match tomorrow. Brace yourselves for more questions. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by Jack Suber

Jack Suber, I think in all honesty that the shooter needs a back up gun for this sport and as his "sponsor" it falls on you to make sure it is always up and running smoothly, test firing at the range as needed lol In all honesty though, I think it is great that you are supporting his interest in the hobby. If only my dad had been as interested in such things, who knows where I would be if I had started shooting when I was still in school.

A real tip though: NOTHING beats practice no matter what equipment he (and you) may be using. Good luck and have a great time sharing this sport together.

Congrats on coming to open John. I have seen you and your Dad shoot several matches and I think it is just awesome. Open will teach you many things. It also will show you that even with a dot you can still miss. Even though in your mind you KNOW you saw the dot on the target. This is "follow-through". It will also teach you the the shooting part and how fast you pull the trigger has very little to do with being a good open shooter. Working on your movement and efficiency is vastly more important. Shoot the Alpha's and do everything else fast. Looking forward to watching your progress.