Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Into Open Any Tips

John Suber

We did learn an important lesson the other day - turn dot "OFF" after dry-fire. Those batteries can eat up an allowance pretty quickly.

Search here for C-More batteries... there are cheaper options than spending $5/ea on them... !! :)

Thanks for the info on the batteries. After our dry-firing over-sight, I had a heck of a time finding new ones. I went to 4 different places and only found 2 (and they were rather pricy).

John did well Saturday - he shot 48.5% of a Master in Open. Most important, he had a great time. He definitely had much more fun with this gun than he did Limited (and seemed much more confident). His Old Man would have one Limited Division but a certain 12 year old, new Open shooter called two foot faults on him :blink: . How's that for gratitude....

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

Edited by Jack Suber

We did learn an important lesson the other day - turn dot "OFF" after dry-fire. Those batteries can eat up an allowance pretty quickly.

Search here for C-More batteries... there are cheaper options than spending $5/ea on them... !! :)

Go to Batteries Plus and buy size 357 at half the price (it will take 2).

It so happens that I use the same batteries for my B/P monitor & Blood Sugar. If you tell them they are for medical use you get them for half off. :D

Manny

Edited by TruStreet

Go to Batteries Plus and buy size 357 at half the price (it will take 2).

It so happens that I use the same batteries for my B/P monitor & Blood Sugar. If you tell them they are for medical use you get them for half off. :D

Manny

Appreciate the lead but what category are they listed ubder?

Remember that Open means "almost anything goes" so your equipment and techniques will always be changing as you get better. Don't be afraid to modify your equipment or your techniques to best suit what you do.

And practice...everything: Dry-fire. Regular draws. Surrender draws. Strong hand draws(that Open blaster is going to be heavier/bulkier). Passing the gun to your weak hand. Finding the dot SHO and WHO. Picking the gun off a table. Loading (EMPTY MAG!!!) after the beep. Keeping the dot steady when moving. Reloading. Jam clearing (tap, rack bang). etc. etc. etc.

Watch Open shooters at matches...The actual shooting is so fast that the deficiencies in all the other aspects becomes glaringly apparent. Practice those other elements and you'll get a big leg up on your competition.