Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best All-around 1911 Grips

Malak

I currently have a Kimber Classic Stainless Gold Match single stack, that I have been working on for IDPA SS division. I occasionaly carry this gun, but seem to carry my glock more and more, so this gun is become more and more 'gamey' ;)

I am currently running the factory's rosewood doublediamond grips that sure are purty, but don't provide the amount of grip I think is needed for competition.

Has anyone used the VZ grips, and if so which ones? They seem to have quite a few options, from paper, to linen, to canvas micarta, and a bunch of finishes :wacko:

Has anyone else used the carbon creation grips, they look really cool, but do they provide better grip than double diamond wood grips?

Are there anyother grip manufactures that make a good grippy set of panels for my ss?

Don't really want to roll a $60 set of dice on grips that suck, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Strider grips (AKA Simioch (spelling?) are by far the grabbiest grips I have felt. Eric Stanley and I have not found the perfect setup.....so I'm saying screw it and I am in the process of designing and maching my own. After programming I am going to test a bunch of patterns. I'll need some feedback so when I have a bunch done I will post and get some of you guys to try them out and field test them.

hey paul, sign me up! I would love to try a new product like that.

R/T, whose thumb saftey is that in the picture? looks nice and wide, thinking about changing to wider saftey on my single stack as well

as you can tell by his avatar, dirtypool used to use the carbon creations shooting shoes....now he uses skate tape on his old PF Flyers....

sorry Eric...had to do it.....congrats on the South Florida Single Stack win Sunday. It was good seeing you again, long time. We still need to get a state-wide or even a SE regional match going.

Paul, I have a couple of ideas for the grips if you are interested. I played with a set, but without proper tools I really couldn't do it justice. To be honest, I used to watch the old series with Tim Allen, Home Improvement, and for the first 2 years I thought it was a documentary. :blink: LOL

Frank

I have a set of Kim Ahrends' skip checkered grips that look good and seems to hold well enough. I am partial to the good looks of the ebony wood on my Black T'd gun. Henry Ford would be proud, "any color you want as long as it's black".

However, I've been pondering a smooth Aluma Grip wrapped in TruGrip. That set up should yield a really aggressive, positive grip and be oh so gamey... B)

I am all for gamey, but if you don't make the perfect grab when you draw, then you need to adjust as you push into whatever stance you shoot from...double diamond wood lets you do that as well as being textured enough to not slip as you shoot.

Sometimes you got to dance with who you came with...

I am currently running the Ergo grips on my AR and they are really nice, they are rubbery, but to the extent as the houges.

Vlad, are the single stack grips rubbery or are they hard platic with texturing? Can't remember... I vaugely remember seeing them at this years shot show... and for $22, I think these might be the ticket :D

Ergo Grips Website

The only grips I would ever have on a SS 1911 is the smooth alumnagrips with TruGrip on top.

I could care less about looks, but to me this combo looks pretty good and very business-like.

I could provide a pic if needed.

I use the Carbon Creations on my ss1911 that I have been shooting in SS div. and also as my duty gun. I think they are fine especially when my hands are wet, but I also like the alumnagrips my wife got me with my badge laser etched on them. Try to feel as many options as you can before you spend your money or like me you will end up with a drawer of 1911 grips.

I am currently running the Ergo grips on my AR and they are really nice, they are rubbery, but to the extent as the houges.

Vlad, are the single stack grips rubbery or are they hard platic with texturing? Can't remember... I vaugely remember seeing them at this years shot show... and for $22, I think these might be the ticket :D

Ergo Grips Website

They are hard textured plastic. No rubber to be found. They have just the correct level of texture that when you close your hand they stay put but if you need to change your grip, you can relax your hand and you are good to go.

I've got VZ "Gator" grips and don't find them that grippy. The cocobolo double diamonds that I got from Yost-Bonitz are real good and grippy. I vote them best all around. For even grippier, I got some smooth Alumagrips and some TRUGRIPS. I cut the TRUGRIPS to fit the just the grip panel and stuck them on (I have 30 lpi checking on the front strap so didn't want the tape across the front strap). They work great (super grippy) but the grips screws come loose after ~100 rounds without Loktite or something (a problem with AL grips). I tried teflon tape. Didn't work. Tried rubber O-rings. Screws stick out. Tried blue Locktite. Ripped the bushing out. Tried purple Locktite. Works but grip screws still come loose after about 500 rounds. I'm currently using the purple Loctite since that works the best.

If you want the o-rings to work, you need to use the short grip bushings. It's the only way to get the stack height correct. One of these days I'll make a thin, flat rubber washer to do the job and buy a Corvette off the profits...a Hot Wheels Corvette that is...

The only grips I would ever have on a SS 1911 is the smooth alumnagrips with TruGrip on top.

I could care less about looks, but to me this combo looks pretty good and very business-like.

I could provide a pic if needed.

Man, I'd have to totally agree. For me, it is simply THE ANSWER I've been looking for for 35 years or so. Good stuff!

Ed