Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus Pt1911 .45 Acp

Tokarev

I bought this pistol this morning from Diamondback Police Supply on Broadway and Kolb in Tucson. If I can get to a dry range tomorrow I'll put some rounds through it.

Overall, I am highly impressed with this pistol. Fit and finish is very nice with very little evidence of tool marks. The trigger is crisp at four pounds and the feed ramp is polished to a mirror finish. Looks like most internal parts are MIM.

The gun came with two 8-rounders that look very much like the Novak/ACT-MAG product.

For the money, Taurus has a sure winner on their hands--if it runs out of the box.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tok...1911/sights.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tok...sideofslide.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tok...T1911/frame.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tok...11/feedramp.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tok...sassembled1.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney

Thanks for taking it apart. The current crop of gunzine writers either don't know how to get guns apart or don't think readers will understand if they show photos or diagrams of the innards.

I note that the firing pin obstructor is Series 80-ish but the levers are not shaped just like Colt.

Where does the key lock in the hammer actually engage? Somewhere that it might affect trigger pull or not? I don't think the Taurus lock much likely to lock by itself.

Richard Heinie needs a better Portugese translator. They did not use his 1911 sight - he says it is based on the one meant for Taurus 24/7 - and they did not even fudge it so it came out even with the back of the slide. Ugly.

Thanks for taking it apart. The current crop of gunzine writers either don't know how to get guns apart or don't think readers will understand if they show photos or diagrams of the innards.

I note that the firing pin obstructor is Series 80-ish but the levers are not shaped just like Colt.

Where does the key lock in the hammer actually engage? Somewhere that it might affect trigger pull or not? I don't think the Taurus lock much likely to lock by itself.

Richard Heinie needs a better Portugese translator. They did not use his 1911 sight - he says it is based on the one meant for Taurus 24/7 - and they did not even fudge it so it came out even with the back of the slide. Ugly.

Yes, the sights are identical to the ones used on the 24/7. I don't like the gap at the back of the slide and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before somebody's got a replacement for the Taurus part. It might actually be the Yost dovetail, which is a Heinie without the additional cut for the rear sight blade. Actaully these sights give a good sight picture with the rear sight allowing plenty of light to be seen around the front sight.

I haven't bothered to open the ziplock bag and try the little key for the safety. The key safety is in the top of the hammer and it looks like it's got a little tit that sticks out and keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin when the safety is engaged. It would be no problem to remove the safety entirely by replacing the hammer with a standard part.

The internal safety parts function like Colt's Series 80 parts. The blade on the plunger level does have a different shape than the Colt part but looks like it'd probably interchange with the Colt part. One of these days, if I get the desire, I'll pull my XSE Colt apart and see how the parts look side-by-side.

If you don't mind me asking, about how much did it set you back?

Price was $519.00. The shop I purchased it from is known for having some fairly high prices. I'm sure Sportsman's Warehouse will have these for $450-$475 when they start stocking them.

Nice one. Looks like they might start to get a little of the competitive shooters market with this one. Their guns have done nothing but shoot in my experience with them. Priced right and I am sure solid as a rock.

By the way, how did you get all those parts to stick to your ceiling like that? :D

Mike

On the 1911Forum Mr. Heinie stated he might make a replacement set for the Taurus that was higher. Hopefully he'll make it so the rear sight will extend to the back of the slide too. I haven't seen one in person yet myself, but your good pictures do help.

I have no need for another 1911 in .45 ACP. HOWEVER, if it ever does come out in .38 Super, I'll probably think long and hard (about two seconds) about getting one. I don't need a .38 Super, but I don't have one, and any self-respecting shooter just needs to have a single stack .38 Super...just because. The MilSpec SA .38 Super is $580 at my FLD, and he's known for low prices; then the gun still needs work. This would be beaucoup cheaper.

Wonder where they make the frame and slide? And chance it's the same as Springfield?

Looks like a deal.

While it's not too crazy to think that there's probably some cooperation between IMBEL and Forjas Taurus, it's my understanding that they're two seperate companies.

Taurus has a number of different 1911's in the works. In the 2006 catalog they show a compact version with a Commander slide and Officer's frame (ala Colt CCO) and 1911's in .38 Super and a few other calibers. I'm hoping that Taurus will apply thier knowledge of making firearms out of titanium to this line.

Now all we need is a good inspection/review by a competent gunsmith. Anybody have Patrick Sweeney's phone number?

Wonder where they make the frame and slide? And chance it's the same as Springfield?

Looks like a deal.

The frame and slide is porbably made in Brazil. Taurus has a large factory in Porto Alegre/ South of Brazil, most of the Taurus Revolvers are made there as well.

I found the time to hit the range earlier today. I didn't have the time to give the gun a thorough shakedown but I did manage to run 69 rounds through the gun. I fired three 7-rounders (topped off to 8) of Winchester SXT's and 5 8-rounders (topped off with 9) of ball and LWSC reloads.

I had no issues at all during this brief range session. All the ammo fed fine and the magazines locked the slide open when empty. I didn't set up a paper target and shoot the gun for group but I had no problem cleaning our Bianchi plate rack from 50 yards.

Three of the mags I dumped as fast as I could manipulate the trigger.

So far so good!

Hopefully I'll have more time soon for an extended range session.

I love cheap 1911's (when they work!). They really piss off the guys who coughed out $2,000 for a super-tactical custom. All things being equal, it's the archer, not the arrow!

Looks like the extractor is shaped sorta weird.

The extractor is a standard Colt-style with the cutout for the Series 80 firing pin block. I've got what I assume is a factory Colt extractor in my parts bin that fits in the Taurus slide without issue.

I give the gun two trigger fingers up!

Edited by Tokarev

I called all my gun distributors today and everyone is out of them... They said they pretty much vaporized with in an hour. I wanted to carry some in my shop, but looks like it will be alittle bit of a wait for any of the corpus shoppers, before I get any. Cheap 1911's are always hot sellers (High Standard, Rock Island, Norinco, Springer GI, etc.) I guess we get to add another budget friendly option :D

PS Revchuck: high standard is making a 38 super that sells for around $425, and runs pretty darn good.

PS Revchuck: high standard is making a 38 super that sells for around $425, and runs pretty darn good.
Thanks! Now all I have to do is find the website, then come up with the money. ;)

The High Standard GI guns are actually made by Armscor in the Phillipines. I imagine the High Standard .38 Super would be the same.

I had a bright chrome Rock Island .38 Super at one time. It really wasn't a bad gun and, thanks to Virgil Tripp, it became a kick-a$$ "sleeper" 9mm.

Sarco has the Rock Islands here

Edited by Tokarev

Taurus says they should have the 40, 38super and 9mm as well as the comander length avalable by Christmas. In Blue and SS.

Frames, slides and barels are being made at there factory.

They also said most of the parts are being made in house and they expect to be manufacturing all parts in house by fall.

They also said every pistol is hand fit, not how much or what (frame slide, brl. ect.) but the ones I have seen are very tight and well made.

When the 40 SS comes out I will be picking one up.

The MSRP will definately shake up the US makers.

I've been kind of flamed on another board for posting a favorable opinion on this pistol. I got responses of, "I'd never bet my life on cheap junk!" to, "My TRP is better."

I never said these guns are as nice as a Nighthawk Custom or Ed Brown Special Forces. These are entry level guns! With that said, I think this gun is the best deal for the money, feature for feature.

I did experience my first problem the other day on the range. I've got half a dozen generic Power Mags that I've used in a couple guns without any problems. I did discover that one of these mags, when using ball ammo, will always lock the slide open prematurely. It only happens with this one mag and with WOLF ball. I can see that the rounds have been hitting the lobe on the slide stop during feeding so I'll have to get in there and take a tiny bit off the slide stop. Taurus certainly isn't alone in making guns that do this.