Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Or 34 For Idpa

dtibbals

I am getting into IDPA for the first time. I shoot a lot of 45acp guns but would like to get a gun that shoots fast, low recoil and most importantly the cheapest I can. I figured 9mm is the cheapest probably has the lowest recoil (please note: I am buying factory ammo) and its my understanding there is no points bonus for shooting larger calibers. So I love Glocks and figured a 17 or 34 with a 3.5lb trigger would be a good gun. Is there any real advantage to shooting a 34 over a 17 for IDPA? The cost of a new 34 is a couple of hundred over a 17. I thank you for your help and if you have a better solution than these two guns please let me know.

Thanks,

David Naperville, IL

I did not know there was a shoot sunday, i could try to make it. you can email me direct at dtchicago@wowway.com. i would have to shoot a 45 right now but thats ok, just figure a 9mm would be much cheaper to shoot. what is the OPSC UPSA match? I am on vacation next week so have some free time. Thank you so much for the reply!!!!!

David,

If you want to put a few rounds through both, PM me. I'm in your area. If you plan on shooting Oak Park Sportsmans Club IDPA on Sunday, I'll show up and bring both. If not, I'll be at the OPSC USPSA match on July 8th.

You can look at it in two different ways.

• Yes ... the 34 costs a little more than the 17, but it is only a ONE TIME PURCHASE which will give you years of enjoyment (with a slight advantage thereby multiplying your enjoyment level!)
  • The other way of looking at it is the 34 is only SLIGHTLY BETTER than the 17. Save the dough and buy ammo with it.

I shoot a used 2nd Gen. G17 and do quite well with it. The 34 is only about 1/2" longer but it is balanced a little better. If I were buying new I would go with the better gun, and not look back. You will reap the rewards many times over. But if you were looking at buying a used gun to save some money, I would not hesitate to shoot the 17 for many years. There is such a minor difference the average shooter will not ever notice.

Just pick one ..... dont look back ...... practice, practice, practice.

In that order B)

Since you asked for opinions. this is mine:

Shoot what you carry! That is the whole point of IDPA even though it is a competition. People seem to do idpa and then look for their 'race' guns as such and miss the whole point - being capable to shoot your normal carry weapon if you ever needed to to survive an attack on the street/in the house/other environment. To me - and again this seems to parallel Brian's book; you seem to be wanting to win this IDPA thing and look at it as I need the best gun possible, versus testing what you can do with your normal carry gun.

On the other hand, I may possibly have missed the point.

The competition is against yourself and your skillset, etc.

I started shooting the 34, shot them for about 5 years. Last year I switched to a 17. I prefer the balance point. It feels like it is more "in my hand."

It really is a toss up. More people probably shoot the 34, than the 17. It comes a little closer to "set-up" and some like the 1/2" greater sight radius.

If you are willing to put some money to customize the gun to your liking, it REALLY becomes a question of which balance do you like better.

Seth

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 17 and I don't think I give up any advantage to a 34. I have shot a 34 and a 17, both stock, with the same ammo at the same range session. My impression was a little more "kick" or recoil from the 34, possibly cause the slide is lighter?

Either way, I am happy with my 17.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both, and the 17 runs drills faster than the 34 for me. The draw and transition are faster. I shot them a week apart at the last two matches, and the 17 just felt better to me all the way around.

steel1212,

The differences are: G-34 has longer slide and barrel, extended mag catch and slide release, and an adjustable rear sight. The cutout in the G-34's slide gives it the same weight as the G-17.

Personally, for competition, I like the G-34. Longer sight radius, more velocity with identical loads, extended controls, and adjustable sights.

Larry

steel1212,

The differences are: G-34 has longer slide and barrel, extended mag catch and slide release, and an adjustable rear sight. The cutout in the G-34's slide gives it the same weight as the G-17.

Personally, for competition, I like the G-34. Longer sight radius, more velocity with identical loads, extended controls, and adjustable sights.

Larry

+1 AND the G34 also comes stock with a factory 3.5lb connector.

i likes the 34 for it feels and balances out about like my 45.....now for indoor,real up close shooting....i perfer the 19....and if i feel real froggy...i'll shoot the 26.... :lol:

got a 17 but havent shot it in years....

The targets are usually pretty close in IDPA so I'm not sure how much the extra sight radius on the G34 helps. Also, depending on how your built, you may actually do better with the G17 on the draw as it is a shorter gun.

You can find tons of used G17's for less than $400 that are like new. Add a great pair of sights, a 3.5lb connector and a few extra mags and your have everything you need.

Just my .02 cents.

Edited by Rockclimbg

I used to shoot a 34, but traded it for a long gun, now I want another one.

The benefits to the 34 over the 17, which is why I bought the 34 are

-extended controls (good for lefties like me)

-adjustable sights

-longer sight radius

I would change the sights if you have the money, that would make it much better in my opinion.

If you don't carry concealed, or if you have another gun you carry concealed, get the 34.

Redwoods

Just a comment about the extended controls on the 34. IDPA allows any Glock to use the extended controls, since they are a factory option now on all Glock models. I have them on my Glock 19, which is my carry gun and my IDPA gun. So you could install them on a 17, if that is what you like better. I highly recommend the extended slide release, especially for IDPA, since most of the reloads on the clock will be at slide lock. The extended mag release is nice too, but only really necessary if you have problems with the stock version.

Arnie

When I was shooting GLOCKS I STARTED WITH A 34 and shot it pretty good,after shooting a friends 17,I liked it so well I bought a used 17 slide(frame will take either slide) and had the best of both worlds.

pat :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I have a 34 and a 35, the 35 was my first CCW. As ammo prices crept up I then purchased a 34 for IDPA and CCW; talk about a weight difference between a loaded .40 and a loaded 9mm... The #1 thing that I did to the 34 was to remove the extended mag release, lost my mag too many times when carrying CCW and it also had a tendency to dig in. I have a LEO friend who put the extended slide stop on his G22 and discovered he was accidentally activating it due to his two hand hold, not a good thing to do for a duty gun. Another gripe that is easily fixed is the sights, it happened once but the OEM sight was pushed over in it's dovetail. It doesn't take too much pressure to move so I then upgraded to a set of Novak lo mount black fixed sights, which have a VERY nice sight picture compared to OEM sights. (simpler is better for CCW) I really like the Glock 19 and consider them to be perfect for carry but i'll stick with bigger is better. The 34 has two internal cutouts in the slide which could possibly crack sometime throughout it's life, FYI.

I have never shot IDPA competitively or even shot a classifier, but the open/practice events were fun and even heard of someone using a .22... can't get much cheaper than that!

I like the 17. Seems more balanced in my hands. Drawing from the holster although slight feels faster with the shorter barrel also. As you can see my perceptions of "seems" and "feels" are all subjective and maybe all in my head but it works for me. Maybe it'll work for you too.