Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejected Cases Hit Head

GASMAN

Ive recently bought a Glock 17 that i intend to use for production division.Im very happy with the gun so far,it shoots well and has been 100% reliable.

The one thing I find annoying is that it ejects cases(consistently)onto the top of my head or into my face,this is pretty distracting

Has anyone had experience in adjusting a Glock ejector?Ive had a number of 1911's over the years that I have adjusted the angles on the ejectors,but the Glocks dont have as much material to work with.Im sure I could get different ejection patterns by changing loads/springs,but Ive got a great load developed and in IPSC production,its not OK to change springs to lighter aftermarket ones

Ive recently bought a Glock 17 that i intend to use for production division.Im very happy with the gun so far,it shoots well and has been 100% reliable.

The one thing I find annoying is that it ejects cases(consistently)onto the top of my head or into my face,this is pretty distracting

Has anyone had experience in adjusting a Glock ejector?Ive had a number of 1911's over the years that I have adjusted the angles on the ejectors,but the Glocks dont have as much material to work with.Im sure I could get different ejection patterns by changing loads/springs,but Ive got a great load developed and in IPSC production,its not OK to change springs to lighter aftermarket ones

Just happend to read the following last night on sportshooter.com

Dremeling the Glock

Extending the ejector

Getting his 9mm GSSF gun to eject cleanly out from under a low-mounted scope gave Rhea some extra gray hair, and drove a great many of his innovations. One of the weirdest involves extending the ejector.

"If you've got cases ejecting straight up and landing on your head, try this," says Rhea.

The ejector on a Glock is a tiny metal stinger supported by a plastic housing (which also contains many of the trigger parts). Remove the metal ejector from the plastic housing and heat it up cherry red. Use a hammer to flatten the ejector out (forcing it to grow longer and thinner) taking care to restore the angle on the ejector before the metal starts to cool.

"You want it to get about 25 thousandths longer," says Rhea. "Don't worry about trying to harden it; the case hits the ejector pretty straight, and it doesn't get a whole lot of force applied to it."

There is a bunch of other stuff to do with the Glock if you are daring enough.

• 5 years later...

Old thread kindly bumped up by Kyle!

Was wondering if any new Gen 4 owners were having this problem? I do with my G17. Seems to be an issue with the extractor from many threads on GlockTalk. I do have a replacement RSA coming in from Glock, but the brass-in-face situation is getting to be quite a nuisance. I got cut on my forehead by brass last week, didn't know I bled until I got home.

Glock tech support guy told me to wear a hat.

Ok.. I have to say it... it is Friday after all..

Quit shooting it gansta style! :devil:

nyte-sytes.jpg

It's more commonly reported with the Gen 4's, it seems-- and you can probably guess why.

I have it happen once in a blue moon with my Gen 3, although toning down the spring and tuning to my pet load seems to have eliminated it entirely. I get a nice little puddle back and to the left most of the time. Although every now and again, I'll have a round actually bounce off the top of the slide-- typically with a quick transition from left-to-right.

Provided they're not sticking to your neck/shoulders/forearms and burning, it's good that you're noticing them landing on you-- but bad that they could possibly distract you from the front sight. Now, catching them square in the forehead (which I've seen and done myself) is a completely different story-- that crap is annoying.

I learned to always wear a hat :surprise: At my 1st indoor match, I had brass get stuck between my glasses and bridge of my nose. Burning, hot brass... Not conducive to good shooting! While moving between target arrays, I had to "adjust" my glasses so it could fall out. Left a burn mark that took over a week to go away!

Yep, hat me for at all times as well.

Had one trapped between the glasses and my temple in the middle of a stage. It kicked off a wall and landed just so.

I thought it was a fluke and went about my usual routine. The very next weekend-- enjoy another burn!

• 4 weeks later...

Woops. I was thinking extractor, not ejector. Mine is a gen 3 17 btw. About 150 rounds through it. I was letting some newer shooters play with it and it was not as bad yesterday. I could stand behind them and catch most of the brass. When I shot it there would be several that hit me and several that just missed.

Woops. I was thinking extractor, not ejector. Mine is a gen 3 17 btw. About 150 rounds through it. I was letting some newer shooters play with it and it was not as bad yesterday. I could stand behind them and catch most of the brass. When I shot it there would be several that hit me and several that just missed.

Shoot it more... a lot more... and see if starts to happen less and less often.

It did for me, at any rate. I feel like right around the 2k-3k mark, it was like someone had thrown a switch. And this was before swapping out springs or feeding it hand loads.

I purchased a used G22 in 40 and it would place empty cases in my face, down my shirt, on my hat...etc. One shot, move your head kind of deal. I purchased a Lone wolf barrel to shoot lead and while I was at it, I replaced the recoil spring with a 12 lb full length and put in a light weight trigger spring kit from Lone Wolf. After replacing ALL the springs, the cases ceased to come back in my face and now eject properly out the right side of the gun. Not sure why, but that's what I replaced and it stopped putting cases in my face.

I have a gen 4 G34. The first time I shot it I got a few black marks on my forehead from the casings. A few hit my glasses. It was really annoying. Afterwards I watched Matt Burkett's training video and I learned my grip was terrible. I got a real grip going and went out again yesterday. Not one shell to the head. However, I did notice one weird thing. About 85-90% of the time the casings went to the right out of the gun. A few would pop up almost straight in the air. They wouldn't hit me, but they would come down in front of my face. It's better than before, but I figure it must be something weird with the Gen4. I'll be getting a guide rod with a lighter spring and be testing that out later this week. I also will be going to the Vegas GSSF match in january. They will apparently check it out and upgrade to the latest parts if you don't already have them (Stock obviously). Can't wait!