Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Classifiers

XD Niner

I was out on the USPSA site this evening and wanted to check on the proper setup for a classifier. Lo and Behold there are a bunch of new ones! There are 11 new 06-XX classifiers although several are variations of the same basic COF. They also dropped five including:

03-06 A Barrel of Fun

03-15 Siouxsie Queues Standards

03-16 The Four Mesquiteers

03-17 Makin' Change

99-20 Fish House Encounter

The Classifier Course Book has also been updated.

I just shot Makin' Change at the Area 6 Championships three weeks ago. I can see why some of the above were deleted for safety considerations but I can't figure out why this one was dropped.

What do you folks think about the new additions?

Edited by XD Niner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

03-06 A Barrel of Fun I got to run this in Jan of this year. Loved it ..... shot a 90% in Open. Is there anything left with barrels ???

03-15 Siouxsie Queues Standards Not surprised this ones gone. Kinda complicated to set up. I shot a 60% on this one.

03-16 The Four Mesquiteers - Never got to shoot this one.

03-17 Makin' Change - I shot this twice at major matches (eg: Area 6), and it only counted once, due to improper procedures allowed. Not surprised this ones gone either.

99-20 Fish House Encounter - Never got to shoot this one either

I already see a (potential) problem with 06-07 Steely Speed IV. If a club uses black poppers that fall ..... what then ???? :huh:

How very cool! One of mine from the 2005 Area 6 match made it in!

Singlestack and I were talking on the phone one day and were toying with the idea of doing what was basically 4 "Bill Drill's Minus 1". I can't remember now what we were trying to achieve (John, do you?). When I later drew it up for the match and submitted it for review by USPSA it was pointed out that the stage was illegal due to the number of mandated reloads (3 in one string). So, I changed it to 2 strings with a mandated reload in each. USPSA asked for a measured drawing, but I never thought they would actually use it. :wub:

"Can You Count?"

The targets are IN YOUR FACE, so people go really fast on this one. Great spectator appeal. And you know what? More than a few folks couldn't count at that speed. :lol::lol:

03-06 A Barrel of Fun I got to run this in Jan of this year. Loved it ..... shot a 90% in Open. Is there anything left with barrels ???

This one ---->> "Ducks In A Barrel" is the one that should have been deleted. We already know that different clubs have run this one incorrectly. It should have been tossed.

I've seen widely varying barrel heights and dimensions used on the barrel classifiers, even if specified in the book. They also tend to reward squatting ability vs shooting ability.

How very cool! One of mine from the 2005 Area 6 match made it in!

Singlestack and I were talking on the phone one day and were toying with the idea of doing what was basically 4 "Bill Drill's Minus 1". I can't remember now what we were trying to achieve (John, do you?). When I later drew it up for the match and submitted it for review by USPSA it was pointed out that the stage was illegal due to the number of mandated reloads (3 in one string). So, I changed it to 2 strings with a mandated reload in each. USPSA asked for a measured drawing, but I never thought they would actually use it. :wub:

"Can You Count?"

The targets are IN YOUR FACE, so people go really fast on this one. Great spectator appeal. And you know what? More than a few folks couldn't count at that speed. :lol::lol:

WOW T1 and T4 are at 2 yards?!?!? That sounds like a very cool classifier. What is the HHF going to be on this one ? 13.5, 14?

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

WOW T1 and T4 are at 2 yards?!?!? That sounds like a very cool classifier. What is the HHF going to be on this one ? 13.5, 14?

The 1st 8 in Open shot 14 or higher. Max Michel's was 16.6389.

The 1st 10 in Limited shot 14 or higher, with Phil Strader winning the stage with a 15.18.

The top 2 revolvers were 11+.

The 1st 8 in Open shot 14 or higher. Max Michel's was 16.6389.

The 1st 10 in Limited shot 14 or higher, with Phil Strader winning the stage with a 15.18.

The top 2 revolvers were 11+.

Oh. My. God.

I have got to get the local MD talked into setting this up.

06-03 Nothing like having a classifier that's slanted towards speed, no sights needed. What's this classifier supposed to test reloads?

What a waste of ammo.

Rich

03-17 Makin' Change - I shot this twice at major matches (eg: Area 6), and it only counted once, due to improper procedures allowed. Not surprised this ones gone either.

There was always a question about whether or not the "screen" was hard or soft cover. We shot it at a Level II match last year and they couldn't submit it because it was allowed to be shot through the screen. Seems to me they could have just updated the stage description and kept it.

What a waste of ammo.

Aw, come on, Rich, where's your sense of fun?? :D We've got classifiers (mostly standards type things) that emphasize accuracy over anything else. What does it hurt if we have one or two that are pure speed, as well?? Arguably, it's an important GM skill...

What I'm still waiting on is some new classifiers with real movement skills (see our "classifier design party" we had a while back...). Right now, it's "Stand And Shoot" to get to GM, but that only goes part way towards winning you the match.... ;)

I have some questions about the new classifiers

CM06-01

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-01.pdf

"Behind Baracade"

So if you want to step off to one side and shoot them all from one spot, that's ok as long as you are "Behnind the Baracade"?

Same question CM06-07

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-07.pdf

CM06-11

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-11.pdf

So the hammer can be back on a semi-auto?

CM06-01

"Behind Baracade"

So if you want to step off to one side and shoot them all from one spot, that's ok as long as you are "Behnind the Baracade"?

That's the way it looks to me.

Again, that's how it looks in the diagram.

CM06-11

I noticed that, too. Since it says I can't start with the hammer back, I will.

I wonder why all the steel only stages? The HF curves on those won't match the rest very well and thus not very usefull as classifiers. I'm really liking most new comstock stages though, specially the Barricades and the Fluffy's.

CM06-01

"Behind Baracade"

Same question CM06-07

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-07.pdf

CM06-11

Since I've actually shot all the stages in question at the Nats in the last few years, I thought I'd take a stab at this: We couldn't physically shoot around the side of the big barricade and get everything. We could shoot around one side of the steel barricade and get everything. I'm pretty sure the non-production/revolver shooters started with the hammer back on 06-11......

Since I've actually shot all the stages in question at the Nats in the last few years, I thought I'd take a stab at this: We couldn't physically shoot around the side of the big barricade and get everything.

Oh yeah.....that's where I've seen that one. Youre right about not being able to shoot all from one side or the other.

An early morning timeslot with no breeze and smoky loads killed me on that stage. :wacko:

I am assuming that 06-03 Can You Count? is jointly sponsored by the ammo and target manufacturers. I suspect the center will be gone from each target after one squad or so.

The good news is that since Mark and John are its creators, they selflessly volunteered to furnish everone on the BE Forum with ammo for their first run! :D