Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handling The High Cost Of Uspsa Shooting

The median income of IPSC shooters is pretty high from the market studies I saw at one time. Keeping up with the Jones's just isn't going to happen for me.

My wife doesn't mind the time spent so much as the money I spend on shooting IPSC. I haven't added it up and neither has she, and that is a good thing. Up till this year we have been single-income-with-kids. Now we are DIWK, but she is 100% commission based and the paychecks aren't steady or known in advance bringing me right back to budgeting off of my income alone.

This is my second season, will be shooting two sectionals and an area match this year, all three within driving distance. Next year I hope to shoot the nationals, this year it is out of reach financially.

I shoot 3 club matches per month, and that uses up my monthly budget of time and money by the time I buy the gas, reloading components, match fees, go to the match, and so on. That leaves no funding for practice ammo or any time for live fire practice. Dry fire is helping me continue to improve, and keep my interest level up.

Like anything else, you just have to decide how much you can spend on this without damaging any important parts of your financial health and then live with that decision. Sucks to be a working stiff, but not many here have any other choice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has little interest in shooting but has been supportive.

However, shooting does cut into our quality time together and I have to be mindful of that.

One way I have found to address this is to turn trips to major matches into mini vacations.

For example, at this years Fla Open I rented a condo for 5 days at a local resort.

Instead of the match being the focal point of the trip, it became one component of an Orlando vacation.

A day of shopping,

a day of laying by the pool (with pina coladas),

a visit to the spa,

nice restaurants and a day of shooting.

The wife was a happy camper.

I work long hours, and spend a lot of time on the road in a very stressful job.

I make good money but pay some hefty dues to take care of my business and family.

Ipsc is what I do for me.

I live for this and I couldn't care less what it costs.

Tls

I work long hours, and spend a lot of time on the road in a very stressful job.

I make good money but pay some hefty dues to take care of my business and family.

Ipsc is what I do for me.

I live for this and I couldn't care less what it costs.

Tls

Thats my view also. Plain and simple....

I really don't care what I spend to shoot. My wife has always been supportive of my hobbies. She has just started shooting and her 3rd match will be next weekend. Yesterday we went to a friends house and she got upset with me because I passed up buying a 9mm open gun that my friend bought it for his wife instead. She told me that it would have been a perfect starter gun for our daughter to shoot ( she is 20 ). You do however have to put more important things before a hobby. As far as cost goes I buy in bulk so I can keep the cost down. I would rather write 1 big check each year then a bunch of smaller ones throughout the year

My situation is similiar to yours. My wife doesn't have much interest in shooting at all but does go every once and a great while to shoot with me. As for the cost issue that isn't the biggest issue for me. Last year I got into Kart Racing and if you want to talk expensive try getting into some sort of racing. Between buying tires every 2-3 weeks $200 and practice sessions twice a week at $75 each and 2-3 races a month $105 things add up extremely fast. Plus, with the 2 stroke motors it is $18/quart for oil, $10/gallon for race fuel and that is if you don't break anything. But, guess what? You're gonna break at least $100 in parts a month. This doesn't include the thousands of dollars for the kart, race gear, trailer to pull the karts, and fuel and 2 hour drive to the track.

Needless to say my wife did not condone my racing. I've since sold all my gear and haven't raced and have only been shooting.

Here is the way we do things. I have a seperate account that we call "fun money". I put X amount in this account every week and it is mine to do whatever I want with. However, when that money is gone I can't dip into our joint account. This has been working great for the past few years. So when I want to build a new gun or whatever I have to compromise with some other things.

when I was married, there was her money, my money and our money...I used my money any way I wanted...that was that...

Now that I am single...I can use all my money to drink, smoke, shoot and chase women... :D and throw in the occasional fishing trip... :lol:

when I was married, there was her money, my money and our money...I used my money any way I wanted...that was that...

Now that I am single...I can use all my money to drink, smoke, shoot and chase women... :D and throw in the occasional fishing trip... :lol:

Wow,

Talk about timing. I've been sweatin' this topic for a while now. I just got back into shooting a couple of years ago after taking about 8 years off. Luckily I already had my Dillon 550 press and all the other reloading gear. I recently added an SVI pistol which was a major expense for me, then you need mags, holster and other gear. Add in a timer and chrono. There's always something you need... For a while I toyed with upgrading to a 650 or even a 1050 press but I just can't swing the additional cost. I don't shoot any major matches. Those expenses just don't figure in. I am lucky in that I get to shoot a local match every weekend. Two USPSA, and 2 Pin or steel matches per month keeps me well rounded. I've been burning up the ammo too. It seems over the last few months I've been shooting about 1000 rounds a month almost exclusively in matches. Not getting any real time to practice. I'm sure most of you exceed my round count, but with 2 small kids I can tell you these expenses certainly cut into the budget. I had never really done the math because I knew it would be scary. The only way to save money is to spend more. Got to buy bullets and stuff in large quantities which could almost equal a gun purchase. USPSA tends to cost me a good deal more than the pin & plate matches. If I ever have to give one up it would be USPSA as I tend to enjoy pin shooting a bit more. Hopefully I won't ever have to make that decision. Especially since I've just invested in all my equipment. I am very lucky to have an understanding wife who knows how much I enjoy shooting. She actually shuffles the budget around and goes without stuff she wants so that I can support my hobby. Gotta remember not to take her for granted...

-Cuz.

Pre-Army/stationing overseas:

I shot somewhere around 5-6 club matches a month plus 3-5 days a week at the range practicing. Even when I took a break from USPSA, I was still shooting clays, trap, skeet, bench w/ Dad, etc. Basically, shooting is what I do. Yeah, I'd go ride motocross or motorcycles with my friends a lot on the weekends, but there was always a match that I had to go to.

As for out of state/major matches, there was 4 weeks back in '01 where I shot four majors in a row, after having decided to shoot Open for the first time. It was weird explaining to the boss all the time that he signed off on. Week 1, I had Thursday through Monday off; Week 2, I had Friday through Monday off; Week 3, I had Thursday through Monday off; and Week 4, I had Thursday through Monday off. It was great! In a month I had worked a total of like 10 days. Got paid for all the days off and still had comp time/vacation time left over. It was kind of cool living out of a suitcase for 4 weeks straight.

In the end, you can't total the costs. If so, you WILL be surprised and maybe disheartened. Honestly, if you're happy and are not burdening anything in your household, you're fine. It's like people that renovate their homes. I always told them, NEVER total the receipts from Home Depot (or Lowe's or other home improvement store), because you will be disappointed. Just do what feels right and most times things work out.

As you're married, it's more complex. As long as you're taking care of the home fires, AND TALK ABOUT IT WITH HER, it shouldn't be a problem. But like others have said, see if she's interested or participate once in a while in one of her hobbies and see if that works.

Just my $0.02.

Take care,

Rich

You can spend a little or a lot on this sport and there is also the fact that your little may be my lot.

Shoot production, rock stock, uncle Mikes and either load or blazers, shoot only local club matches. you can have a lot of fun and it will cost yo a lot less in a year than one night a week at a Go-Go bar.

OR

You can shoot Limited or Open, with a totally custom gun, travel every week to a distant match, practice every day after work. That will cost about the same as two nights a week at a local Go-Go bar.

Really this sport, at least the way it is shot here in the US is such that unless you have no choice but to travel overnight to shoot even a local match, you really are not obligated to spend too much.

When I started, I shot only at my home club, once a month, plus two indoor "practice matches" and I also shot high-power rifle and shotgun.

When I was totally hooked, I started traveling to other local matches and also to Area and other matches. I think I am at about the one night at the GG bar cost level.

Jim

You can spend a little or a lot on this sport and there is also the fact that your little may be my lot.

Shoot production, rock stock, uncle Mikes and either load or blazers, shoot only local club matches. you can have a lot of fun and it will cost yo a lot less in a year than one night a week at a Go-Go bar.

OR

You can shoot Limited or Open, with a totally custom gun, travel every week to a distant match, practice every day after work. That will cost about the same as two nights a week at a local Go-Go bar.

Really this sport, at least the way it is shot here in the US is such that unless you have no choice but to travel overnight to shoot even a local match, you really are not obligated to spend too much.

When I started, I shot only at my home club, once a month, plus two indoor "practice matches" and I also shot high-power rifle and shotgun.

When I was totally hooked, I started traveling to other local matches and also to Area and other matches. I think I am at about the one night at the GG bar cost level.

Jim

I gotta agree with Jim. You can spend as little or as much as you want... ;)

I gotta agree with Jim. You can spend as little or as much as you want... ;)

Yes you can.... and I usually do ( and hope I don't get caught :lol: )

Actually, Mrs. Jarrell is very supportive of a hobby that helps me relieve stress.

Where would I be without her....

dj

Edited by dajarrel

D.J, where would you be? Searching for Ms right I suppose. Hey guys & gals, look at it this way, if you enjoy it, whatever that it is, it has costs associated with it. example:

1 Bass boat=$25,000

1 tow vehicle=$25,000

tackle=$5,000

fuel=$lots

lodging=$lots

have fun fishing=priceless

same goes for competitive shooting, if you have fun=priceless. We will all die someday, maybe tomorrow, so let's have a little fun while we can. Just don't spend the mortgage payment on bullets, or quit paying attention to your spouse. Balance is good. Have fun, God didn't intend for us to be unhappy. God Bless All!

Edited by encoreman

Time, not Money, is My limiting factor.

Work, and sometimes Family stuff, keeps Me from shooting as much as I'd like to.

If I get called out at 3:00AM for an emergency, or have to work the weekend, it's hard to get to matches.

I miss alot of matches due to work issues.

I don't chase whores, or go out drinking, I don't have a bass boat, I shoot.

I don't ever add up the cost !

Edited by Derek45

Preach on TL preach on..

The church of the "seen the light and now single" crowd.

:D

Well guys/gals I started shooting 1 year ago in which I had previously been playing the game of golf for 15 years...now with all the discussion of cost (which I really haven't wanted to caculate) I thought I would compare the 2 sports...

Country Club Dues $185(month)$2200 year

Beverage(Beer)/Food $170(month) gotta play Gin after a round)$2040 yr

"Sorry I'm late flowers" $100(month) $1200 yr

Cart(Club Cart) $3500(one time, traded every 4 yrs) $875 yr

Clubs $1200(Every other Year)

Golf Bag $285(every 2 years) $142 yr

Golf Balls(Pro VX $54dzn) $648 (Yearly)

Shoes/Clothing $1100(yearly)

Tournament Fees $750 (year)

4 Golf Trips per year $2500(year)

$13,000 per year (WOW) and I know I forgot somethings

Man the money I have WASTED!!!!!! See now I'm depressed.....good thing I have a match to shoot today and 12 NOON......feeling better now....

Shooting...Where do I begin....

Guns Started with Glock 35..total rig(gun/mags/holster/belt) $850 Got "B" Limited with It

Probably quicker to call Chuck at shooters connection and get an itimized statement.....

Currently (Initial Startup expenses)

Triangle Shooting Open .38 Super $3000

Mags (5-140mm & 2-170mm) $985

Cr Speed belt/4-mag puches/Ghost Holster $313

Safety glasses (Oakley w/3 lenses) $225

Dillon XL650 setup $972

Case Cleaner/Seperator $175

Timer CED $149

Chrono $185

Shooters Connection Range Bag $139

_______

$6143 Startup

Yearly Expenses

Bullets 124gr JHP Montanna Gold 3750 $200 $800 (yr)

Powder VV N350 $375 (yr)

Primers Win Small Rifle $240 (Yr)

Brass Starline .38 Super $960 (Yr)

Range Membership $250 (Yr)

Match Fees (local matches 4 per month) $720(Yr)

Major Matche Fees (10 this year) $1126 (yr)

Hotel/Air/Car Rental/Misc $2150 FL open big part $800

Misc Expenses $500

-----------

$7121 per year

Now this does not take in account the 3 gun part or the other custom Limited gun in the safe but this is just 1 side of the sport. Granted you can SPEND as much as you want but I believe NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SPORT each has its expenses, whether it be Golf, Hunting, Bass Fishing etc. you have expenses.

Sorry this post is sooooo long but I did not realize everything that went into a "HOBBY" but on a Positive note it looks like SHOOTING is SAVING ME ABOUT $6,000 per year!!! Now whats that JP website address....

Hope you enjoyed the novel

Randal

Time, not Money, is My limiting factor.

Work, and sometimes Family stuff, keeps Me from shooting as much as I'd like to.

If I get called out at 3:00AM for an emergency, or have to work the weekend, it's hard to get to matches.

I miss alot of matches due to work issues.

I don't chase whores, or go out drinking, I don't have a bass boat, I shoot.

I don't ever add up the cost !

That is basically my position. I just dont have the time to do it.

The financial costs involved with this sport cause me considerable grief. I sometmes beat myself up over the money I appropriate for such a frivolous and self indulgent hobby. I don't have kids so I can at least console myself that I am not doing it the expense of anyone but myself.

I know there are much more expensive hobbies out there, but I find little comfort knowing that yacht racing or _____ costs more than USPSA shooting, participating in those hobbies was never even considered an option for me.

I do play this game as cheap as possible, I shoot a CZ in production or limited-minor, I load 9mm to keep that cost down, and I only shoot local club level matches. I have never shot any major or area matches, spending $200-400 on a match fee is an obscene cost for a weekend of enterainment (for me).

I see three ways I could deal with this dilemma.

1.) Keep shooting at a minimum cost level and just deal with the grief

2.) Stop shooting matches and walk away form the sport

3.) Find a way to drastically increase my earning power so the costs involved are not such a big deal.

I have been doing #1 for nearly five years, but it takes a lot of the joy out of the sport when you get down on yourself for blowing so much money on it.

Number two seems about as fun as suicide, no thanks.

Number three seems like the final solution, but it is the universal solution for many people's problems and not exactly easy to do. I am open to suggestions for this one ;)

Kory,

What does your local club charge for matches? My local clubs charge $20-$25 per match which isn't bad at all. Another thing they offer is if you help setup the day before you can shoot for free. This could be something you could look into to cut a lot of the cost issues out.

Since you already have all the gear and a gun the next big cost is ammo. How much are you shooting a month? Maybe you could cut your round count by 25% which might help save some cost. You could just make your practice sessions more focused so you never waste ammo. I don't know what you use for bullet components but you could prob. find cheaper alternatives.

How much are you spending on average a month to fund this sport? What would you like to be spending?

Another compromise would be to cut back the amount of matches you shoot. You could shoot 2 matches a month instead and that would cut a lot of your cost.

Pete

I wonder how much money these computers have cost us? When you see all the latest gadgets and people posting pics of new blasters you can't hardly help but go shopping. Seems to me that shooting is cheaper than web surfing.

It's not so much the cost of guns and ammo that hurts. It's the just cost of everything! Copper has tripled in price, lead has more than doubled, gasoline is expensive and going higher. (seems a real shame to have to burn gasoline) Our standard of living is undergoing a total re-alignment. It's times like these that make me really appreciate the fact that I was born poor. Having been born into poverty, I've always found friends among poor people. So the tremendous personal upside here is that I have so many new friends!

• 2 weeks later...

Like David Feherty (another golf announcer says) in an interview recently, "...when I was young I spent a lot of money on fast cars, women and booze, the rest I just squandered."

Just about sums it up for me... :lol: