Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Egw "u" Die

Is anyone having any success using this die in 40 S&W. I get alot of crushed cases on my 650 with it and I believe it helped cause me to break a ring indexer because I had to short stroke the machine a bunch.

I just did a search and found some information on this. I think I will scrape this die and go with the Dillon decapper instead.

I've just started using one on my RL550. I don't really notice any difference.

-Cuz

The EGW die is a modified Lee die. I don't have a Lee die but I'm assuming the EGW die sizes the case farther down than the Lee die. I've been using one on a XL650 and have no problems. I don't force the press any harder than i have to. If i feel it takes more effort than usually needed or it feels like the press bottomed out even if i'm not at the end of the stroke, i make sure the case is seated properly in station 1. I definetly don't crank out 1000 rounds an hour.....

I am running the EGW U die on my XL650 in 40 with no problems now.

I broke a few ring indexers for other reasons .

Primer feed problems ( if the plate hangs up and you force the handle the indexer breaks )

Trying to decap 40's with 9's stuck in them ( OOPS ! )

Seems like any serious hitch in rotation of the shell plate, or short stroke can break this part.

I needed to adjust the plate timing with the platform alignment tool and get the case insertion adjustment just right to get the brass perfectly aligned with the die for smooth operation , the amount of flare at the bottom of the die kind of makes it unforgiving of misaligned cases.

I use Hornady One Shot and never tried it without lube.

Just .02

Travis F.

Hey Todd,

I use the Lee die exclusively in a 650. A little case lube and easing it into the die works just fine for me. As for your primer post, my 650 was shearing anvils in the press. I got a new disk from dillon, polished the heck out of it, and things seem OK.

Daniel

anybody knows what exactly is machined off a generic lee die to make it a "U" die? pictures?

i have a lee sizing die for 9mm/.38 super and compared it with my EGW "U" die for 9mm. i wonder if its just me, but i don't see any difference, even after doing measurements on the case mouth.

Better off getting the Lee factory crimp die and just using a properly adjusted sizer.

You will not get the same result from the Factory crimp die. It's size ring is slightly oversize, the U die has a slightly undersize ring.

Better off getting the Lee factory crimp die and just using a properly adjusted sizer.

You will not get the same result from the Factory crimp die. It's size ring is slightly oversize, the U die has a slightly undersize ring.

hi,

would it possible for you to post pictures that would illustrate the difference?

No picture, but might help, this is from Lee:

>>

If your sizing die has a "U" stamped into the wrench flat, it means that it is .003 inch undersized. We make these for customers who want a tighter bullet fit than standard.

<<

If I may jump into this (as one who will receive his first 650 Monday):

Is everyone saying that the 650 can't be operated "at speed' when using the "U" die?

While I have 15K pieces of .40 brass already prepped with the "U" die, I'm wondering if I still need to prep in advance (on a Pro1000)?

I would think that the problems I have with the Pro1000 (crushing cases here and there) would be reduced with the 650 (hopefully more precision construction).

It's hell waiting on a new press.........

I ran the "U" die for a couple of months and finally retired it and went with a Lee 4 die set. Then last year when I started 9major I bought the same 4 die set in 9mm. For $26 you can't go wrong with the Lee dies.

The "U" die and standard Lee die in .40 are identical to the naked eye except for the U stamped on the wrench flats as Dave mentioned.

You won't get the same results from the FCD as it post sizes the round to standard specs.

anybody knows what exactly is machined off a generic lee die to make it a "U" die? pictures?

Nothing. It's custom made by Lee. It does resize further down than the standard die and the ring is .002 or .003 smaller in diameter than a standard die. Mine was .002.

The Lee standard die set runs smooth and fast with one shot on the cases. I put the "U" died back in once and took it right back out. It's not very smooth and I could do without the extra problems that it causes.

I use an EGW die in 40S&W, 9mm, and 45ACP on a 650 (I run this setup for all three).

Running range brass with the EGW die in station one can be hard (lots of crushed cases for me).

First I processed my brass in a separate step (I set up another tool head with my Dillon sizing die in stage one, EGW in stage 3, and a Lee final size die in stage 5). This worked great, but meant I had to run each piece of brass through the press twice (to much time and work).

I then took Flex’s advice and set up my press like this.

Stage 1 Dillon sizing die.

Stage 2 EGW sizing die.

Stage 3 powder measure (you just bend the return rod a little, this was much easier then I

thought it would be and I haven’t had any problems with it not returning or throwing charges out of spec).

Stage 4 Seating die.

Stage 5 Lee final size die.

My concern was that I could not run my powder checker with this setup, but I just watch the cases to make sure there is powder before I seat the bullet and pull anything that looks different (99% turn out to be right in spec, but better safe then sorry).

PS I would suggest running a case lube with this setup, but besides that this setup has worked great for me.

EGW just sells the Lee 'U' die.. there is no difference.

Really? I thought the EGW die had some metal turned off the end of the die so that it sized further down the case, in addition to being undersized in diameter. Are you sure there is no difference?

Just to let everyone know. I have changed my ring indexer and from what I noticed I believe my platform was out of alignment and the 2 screws that hold the platform were very loose when I took the platform off of the machine. Everything seems to be working fine now, even with the EGW "U" die. Thanks to all the replies.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had no problems at all using the "U" die. I can run the machine as fast as I can pull the handle and haven't crushed a case yet (2K rounds).

No need for 2 sizing dies at all.

I'm thrilled with this machine :D

Stage 3 powder measure (you just bend the return rod a little, this was much easier then I

thought it would be and I haven’t had any problems with it not returning or throwing charges out of spec).

Any chance you could send me a picture of how you bent the rod?

Thanks

Jerry

Any chance you could send me a picture of how you bent the rod?

Thanks

Jerry

No need to bend anything. Just loosen the nut on the powder die and rotate the measure 15 or 20 degrees to the right until the rod lines up. Mine has been like this for years with no problems.-----Larry

Edited by lkytx

Been using the U die on my 550 & 40 S&W for about a month. For me, it is slower because you need to take better care in getting the empty case lined up. I do crush a few cases.

However, IMHO, it is still better than having to cull out loaded rounds that got by me with buldged cases. Pulling bullets is a drag.

I used to chamber check all my .40's before shooting them in my Open Glock (with KKM match barrel) but now that I load them using an EGW "U" die, I dont bother chamber checking any more. They always feed and shoot fine.

I dont notice any slowdown either.