Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock For Ccw

urnsrus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently own a model 19 and won a certificate for a free Glock. In your humble opinion, what is the best for CCW: 27,30,29, or 23....or....something else?

It depends on how easily you can hide a gun. With the stuff you listed I would get a 23. That's just my opinion. It has a larger grip.

There are a lot of things to consider. I carry a Glock 19 most days and I'm pretty comfortable with it. If I were in your situation and wanted another gun for carry, I'd grab a 26 since everything I currently have works with it.

If you're not particularly satisfied with the 9mm as a carry gun, I'd suggest getting a 23 or a 27.

If size is not an issue, get a 17. The 17 will work OK for carry and is probably the "best" Glock as all the others are basically derivatives of the 17. I like the way the 19 feels in my hand better than my 17 and it's smaller, but I shoot the 17 better. YMMV.

If you've got holsters, mag carriers, etc. for the small frame Glock, stick with it. If you don't want to change calibers (reloading, mags, etc) stick with the 9mm. Of course, if this will give you a justification to get new stuff for the new gun, go for it! :)

I have a G27 with a million miles on it. It carries like a charm in a SideArmor IWB holster. I tried the G30 and it was just too bulky for me. Since I reload for 40, the G27 was a natural. (I also load 9 and 45, but wanted the 40). If you load 9mm, that would be a logical choice. But like was said above, when do we need logical choices when talking about new gun stuff. :D

I started ccw with the 23. I was shooting a 17 in IDPA at the time, and when I was away on training I'd leave the 23 at home with my wife and carry the 17. Now I'm shooting a 34 in production, It has turned into my carry gun. Looking back I should have started with the 34. I didn't think I could conceal it. I'm 6' 230 and carry in a sidearmor IWB. I bought it for the 23 originally. I opened the end up and now I can carry all my glocks. I never heard anyone say a 34 would be a good carry gun, so I'm saying it now. You don't have to get a compact for a carry gun. My 2 cents

David,

I'd recommend you carry the largest gripped gun you can in the 40/10/9 frames. If I can hide a Govt' 1911 IWB on my scrawny @$$, you should be just fine with a big gun also.

My reasoning is that you will practice more with a big gun since it is easier and more rewarding to shoot. Gun handling skills such as draws, reloads, press checks, gun strikes are also much easier with the larger guns. Caliber choice is all yours but I'd lean towards one of the more postent cartridges available in the smaller frames since handguns are often underpowered for the task at hand.

Good luck and be sure to carry the darn thing!

Later

Dave Benzick

Personally, owning all the sub compact models except the 9mm, its a matter of what caliber you want to carry. I personally like the new 39 in .45 GAP since I think that is what the GAP was really made for, .45 power in a smaller grip for CCW.

I have carried a G23 for about 8 years and I really like it. If you are use to the 19 then the 23 is a logical choice it is the same size but in a larger caliber. 14 rounds of .40 in a fairly compact package works for me and I think should for most people

My usual carry pistol is a G3036, which consists of a 30 frame and a 36 upper. Yes, they do fit together!

But I also have a 23 and a 19, either one of which are very fine carry pistols. I don't care for the sub-compacts, as I am unable to reload them rapidly because the magazines hang up on my weak hand when ejecting them.

Andy C.

I lost track but +6 on the G27, although ctgun has a good point about the G23 being similar to your G19. Only problemo is the 14 rounds....oh yea that's a CA issue, :o

I use both the G23 and G27. the G27 is very unique and can be carried so may ways. If I were limited to just one for CCW it would be the G27.

I pretty much agree with most of the posts on this one. I prefer to carry .40 or larger for self defense. I'm not a fan at all of the 9mm for stopping power. Seen too many (bad guy)survivors of the 9mm. Every fatality was a head-shot.

23 or 27 get my vote. I prefer the 23 in the colder months and the 27 in the summer. If I could only have one (may that day NEVER come), I would go with the 27, but I would want the 23. :D

Edited by SA Friday

Can anyone spell "conundrum"? Great information from everyone. Seems the 27 and/or the 23 is leading the pack at this time. David B has a good point, familiarity and skill with whatever you carry is the first priority, and althought the smaller frames are easier to conceal, the larger frames feel more like my competition gun. As always, continue your thoughts, but the 23 seems to be leading primarily because of my current 19 and it being the same size with more "poop".

Can anyone spell "conundrum"? Great information from everyone. Seems the 27 and/or the 23 is leading the pack at this time. David B has a good point, familiarity and skill with whatever you carry is the first priority, and althought the smaller frames are easier to conceal, the larger frames feel more like my competition gun. As always, continue your thoughts, but the 23 seems to be leading primarily because of my current 19 and it being the same size with more "poop".

I felt the same way initially but a SD gun doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a competion gun. Having both is really the way to go. They are both the same platform and handle with a similar feel. The G27 is a sweetheart to carry and it shoots really well. I actually scored better with the G27 on qualification, maybe because it's shorter sight radius made me focus more on the sights. While the G23 is pretty easy to carry the G27 goes there and in places a G23 can't. Both are nice. Had I purchased the G27 first I may not have purchased the G23. Bottom line is you can never have enough weapons so get both. Heck one will be FREE this is a no brainer. :) I'll say it again if it's strictly a CCW gun for it's primary purpose and one is the limit go the G27 route.....you'll never look back.

G22 @ work daily in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster. G22 (different gun) for USPSA and IDPA. Same same.......

That said, a smaller gun for off duty carry has benefits. I'd probably go G19 size if I were to get something. IMHO, the subcompacts are nice to carry, but are just not as comfortable / easy to shoot given there is a lot less gun to hold on to.

Nick-

If you're going to carry it, I'd go with a G36 (if you can find one). They are a very slim package and with the +2 grips you've got 8 rounds of 45ACP. They shoot really well. I personally am waiting for the "slim-line" full sized Glock they keep talking about.