Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charlie Vanek's Drop In Trigger Kit

oct_97

I shot my G-34 with Charlies Production drop in trigger kit today, it's great.

John

I figured it would be great. When he told me he was going to be offering one, I had planned to get it when it was available. But, the Sotelo trigger works so well in my G-35 I don't think I will now. I don't think I'm pro enough to tell the difference.

Are you able to compare it to the RS kit?

I have one of Charlie’s installed triggers and have shot both Charlie's and Ralph's drop in kits. I think that Charlie's is a little lighter; it's also a little more expensive. For pricing info please contact Charlie. I will say that when I wanted another trigger for my second G-34 I went with Ralph's because of the money difference and was not disappointed. They are both great guys to work with.

Thanks,

John

I have one of Charlie’s installed triggers and have shot both Charlie's and Ralph's drop in kits. I think that Charlie's is a little lighter; it's also a little more expensive. For pricing info please contact Charlie. I will say that when I wanted another trigger for my second G-34 I went with Ralph's because of the money difference and was not disappointed. They are both great guys to work with.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the update. I'm assuming Vanek's kit comes with a new trigger housing hence the higher price.. I'll look into it.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the update. I'm assuming Vanek's kit comes with a new trigger housing hence the higher price.. I'll look into it.

Yes it does.

John

A little off topic, but I know Wolff makes a lighter trigger spring, but does that trigger spring work the reset and how fast the trigger resets? I think it does, but want to make sure.

I know the Glock trigger spring is heavier than the Wolff, but I would like to speed up trigger return/reset.

Also,

John, did you get the MO for the tungsten rod? Plus, you think Charlie's kit is a little lighter than Ralph's? Is the break lighter or easier/smoother?

Thanks

A little off topic, but I know Wolff makes a lighter trigger spring, but does that trigger spring work the reset and how fast the trigger resets? I think it does, but want to make sure.

I know the Glock trigger spring is heavier than the Wolff, but I would like to speed up trigger return/reset.

The trigger spring pulls back and up on the trigger bar. As far as trigger pull goes, it works against the striker spring...which means it assists in pulling (making lighter) the trigger back. So, for a lighter trigger, that trigger spring need to be stronger (all other things being equal).

I prefer the trigger spring from Glockmeister. I used a bunch of them, anyway. The limited experience that I've had with the Wolff trigger spring is replacing one that broke.

The trigger spring pulls back and up on the trigger bar. As far as trigger pull goes, it works against the striker spring...which means it assists in pulling (making lighter) the trigger back. So, for a lighter trigger, that trigger spring need to be stronger (all other things being equal).

Yep, and if you get trigger spring too strong, the trigger doesn't reset all the way because the striker spring isn't strong enough to overcome it and force the trigger all the way forward.

Right. That is why I will only go with any 2 of the 3 common modifcation in this area. Run all 3 and risk failure to reset. (1. lighten striker spring; 2. Relocating the hole in the trigger bar; 3. "heavy" trigger spring)

flex,

actually you can run all 3, but i suggest using this:

The Lone Wolf 3.5 lb Connector is an improved version of the Glock original 3.5. Special features include: 25% reduction in side thickness provides superior reset action, completely pre polished for the smoothest trigger pull, Nickel plated for corrosion resistance. Precision target shooters and Law Enforcement personnel demand excellence in trigger performance. Now you can tune your trigger to perform its best! This drop in part is easily installed or removed and will instantly provide a lighter crisper trigger pull. Fits all Glock models.

;)

Right. That is why I will only go with any 2 of the 3 common modifcation in this area. Run all 3 and risk failure to reset. (1. lighten striker spring; 2. Relocating the hole in the trigger bar; 3. "heavy" trigger spring)

Pretty much spot on. I'm running Raph's setup in my G34 and like it quite a lot but with that said, it does affect the trigger safety a bit on mine. The trigger safety will faithfully reset upon cycling the slide to "make ready" which to Ralph's credit, he cautions users to immediately check this function 1st thing after install. On my 34, once the trigger safety is initially depressed it does not have sufficient striker spring force to re-engage it without manual assistance. From what I understand, this little "quirk" does not occur in every install but on the other hand, is common. I havn't checked but I would be willing to bet if 1 of the 3 changes cited by Flexmoney were reversed the trigger safety would return reset upon release.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve put 800 rounds through Charlie’s kit with no problems. I have a good friend that is the Glock armorour (I cannot get spell check to correct that word) for the Daytona Beach PD, he has taken it apart, cleaned, lubed, and checked all safety operations each 200 rounds. It’s very smooth and getting close to the one Charlie installed on my other G-34.

John

flex,

actually you can run all 3, but i suggest using this:

The Lone Wolf 3.5 lb Connector is an improved version of the Glock original 3.5. Special features include: 25% reduction in side thickness provides superior reset action, completely pre polished for the smoothest trigger pull, Nickel plated for corrosion resistance. Precision target shooters and Law Enforcement personnel demand excellence in trigger performance. Now you can tune your trigger to perform its best! This drop in part is easily installed or removed and will instantly provide a lighter crisper trigger pull. Fits all Glock models.

;)

You work for Lone Wolf? sounds like an ad! Actually, I just got a half dozen of the LWD

branded 3.5's, and the above is absolutely correct. Kick-ass connector. Still needs a little

hit with the soft muslin wheel and some fine compound, but much better than Scherer

or Glock.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to come in so late here, but can this trigger be upgraded later with a set screw to take out the pretravel, making it a shorter pull? Reason i ask is because i shoot production now, getting my feet wet in USPSA, but later down the line would like to try open with a dot, and would maybe like a shorter trigger, without having to install a whole new one. Thanks.

Sorry to come in so late here, but can this trigger be upgraded later with a set screw to take out the pretravel, making it a shorter pull? Reason i ask is because i shoot production now, getting my feet wet in USPSA, but later down the line would like to try open with a dot, and would maybe like a shorter trigger, without having to install a whole new one. Thanks.

Just call Charlie and talk to him. Great guy to talk to and a great product. I will definitely be purchasing from him again.

www.vanekcustom.com- his number is listed on there.

I just installed my vanek drop in.

Im pleased with the feel and break.

I had the opportunity to dry fire a friends sotelo kit before I bought the vanek, and the pretravel was a bit crunchy, only lightly so, but it was there none the less. In fairness, that could have been because it was a dirty gun.

But A big difference I felt was both in the break, and especially in the smmoth , light take up. Sotelos take up, was kinda like a 1911, no, tension on the trigger other than what it takes to push it back until it engages the sear.

While the vanek was a constant very light takeup.

Is it worth $60 more; I thought so.

But then again, Im a equipment chaser; Id use whale sperm as a lubricant if it was said to help.

I have several of Charlie’s Triggers (Custom fitted and Drop In) and also the RS. I found the RS trigger (G17 sized frame) to be rather firearm finicky and have since relegated it to the box of unused toys.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one myself recently, all I can say is WOW!

Allow me a little drift now !!!

As I suspected the kit is not reliable with CCI primers on my G17.

What's your experience with factory WWB, Remington, Federal (that's all I use in my revolvers) Reloads? Has anybody used the trigger kit with Atlanta Arms and Ammo's 147 JHP (the one they use for Glock team)

Thanks,

Julio

I got one myself recently, all I can say is WOW!

Allow me a little drift now !!!

As I suspected the kit is not reliable with CCI primers on my G17.

What's your experience with factory WWB, Remington, Federal (that's all I use in my revolvers) Reloads? Has anybody used the trigger kit with Atlanta Arms and Ammo's 147 JHP (the one they use for Glock team)

Thanks,

Julio

I just used his trigger kit with the Atlanta Arms Ammo last Sunday at a match and had no problems at all. Jay

I sent him an e-mail about these awhile ago, but never got a reply. All it has on his web site is coming soon. Are the kits available yet or are you guys just testing them? If available, what's the price and what does the kit get you? Are you out there Charlie?

I have been looking for the Vanek drop in kit. Where can i get it?? I have the R. sotelo drop in and can not get it to function flawless even with fed primers.

Just send him an email at vanekcustom@cox.net

He has always been very responsive to my email inquiries. Recently he did let me know that he currently has them available, but he does not have them on his website yet because he is not yet ready for mass production.

Hope that helps,

Cor