Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Cart All Your 3 Gun Gear Around?

I'm getting into 3 gun this year and was thinking how I will be hauling all this gear around. It's bad enough with pistol and my Shooters Connection bag never mind adding a rifle, shotgun, and all the gear needed. Does everyone just spend the $239 and buy the shooting cart from www.Ruggedgear.com or is there a cheaper way around this or is this the way to go? I don't want to go ghetto and use a baby carriage but I'm sure there has to be something just as good but for a lot less money.

Thanks,

Pete

$50.00 two wheel cart with milk crate strapped to the bottom. Two gun cases and brackets from an ATV store, and then make sure your shooting bags fit between the gun cases bolted to each side of the two wheel doll.

Not pretty, but works good.

Brought my wife with to the 3-gun nationals and she helped carry items (she loves to watch the shooting). She thought it would be cool to have a t-shirt with "Range B$tch" printed on it. She has a cops wife sense of humor <_< .

Hope that didn't offend anyone.

Pete,

I got the Rugged Gear cart for Christmas. Prior to that, I used a cart I adapted for Highpower. You'll see everything from Radio Flyers to garden center wagons. You should be able to find something. I've seen Golf bag carts adapted too. The first one I saw doing the golf cart was Jerry Michulek, back at the Masters in the 90's.

Hope to see you at some of the Northeast 3 gun stuff. Good luck with the Benelli.

Pete,

I started out using my Range Boy cart from Sporting Clays days.

Mrs. Airedale got into 3 gun with me so we incorporated our John Deere Gator into the mix. I have Rugged gear racks in the back for long guns and a rack on the front for the range bags It works great. It also works great for it's intended purpose around home.

However, the Rugged Gear cart looks like a great option.

Dave

Pete,

Mrs. Airedale got into 3 gun with me so we incorporated our John Deere Gator into the mix. I have Rugged gear racks in the back for long guns and a rack on the front for the range bags It works great. It also works great for it's intended purpose around home.

Dave

Dave,

The Gator might exceed Pete's budget! :) I've been seeing his aquisitions for 3 gun stuff lately, and can understand his desire for a low cost option. :lol:

Pete,

You might look for a used Jog Stroller locally. That can be a good base to modify from.

A lot of the matches let you park close to where you'll shoot so a 2 gun long gun case ( Blackhawk ) will let you get them there along with accessories. You can ware your pistol and carry ammo in seperate small container of your choice. There is usually enough time between stages to resupply. RM3G is strung out over 5 miles so you drive to each stage and have a "short" walk to the shooting area. May be different back east but this has worked well for me. I went to the trouble of building a carrier out of a golf bag cart and after revamping it ( to much stuff and bent the supports for the legs ) works well but hardly ever use it. As with most things KISS works here as well. If your like most shooters you have enough stuff to build another gun in your range bag, just have to have the essentials for each stage and leave the spares in the truck. Keith

Wow, thats a pretty nice offer there SinistralRifleman, To shell out that kind of dough just out of kindness is what our sport is all about. When should he be looking for your donated goods to arrive? LOL..........just pulling your leg.

There's a bunch of miscreants out of West Texas who use a four-wheeler and a trailer. The trailer has long gun racks across the back to accomodate the 3-gun needs of at least five people. At the end of the match, drive the four-wheeler up onto the trailer and haul it home. It works like a charm.

Liota

It's in the back of either my Tahoe or the trunk/back seat of the rental car....that is until I go shoot with Russel. Then, it'll be me and my LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers).

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

After a few years of trying differnt I have settled on the Blackhawk Dragbag (thanks to my buddy Chris who got one before me) It holds an open rifle and shotgun, all of my tec-tubes, mags, and bi-pod, just throw it on your back (it has back-pack straps) and your off to the stage.

Like has been said earlier, most matches allow you to park fairly close to the stages so you just throw what you need for the next stage or two in the bag, holster up your handgun if needed and walk to the stage.

I bought a used jogger stroller from a church consignment sale ($15). Cut off the stuff I didn't need (e.g., baby seat belt) and purchased two sets of ATV rubberized rifle holders from Cabals ($30 total).

The ATV rubberized rifle holders bolt onto the sides of the jogger stroller to hold the SG and rifle. Shooting bags will all the stuff and ammo goes in the baby seat.

It works great and cost a total of $45.

chp5's idea works good. Look at some of the thrift shops for the cart. While I was trying to find one, I never could so I forked over the money for the Rugged Gear one. Since then I can't hardly go anywhere without stumbling over used carts like chp5 is talking about. These type of carts are vary versaltile for what you can do to them to carry all the gear that you want to carry. Good luck with your endeavor.

Old Blind Squirrel

Like what chp5 and overkill did, got the outgrown babyjogger and installed ATV racks from Montana Jack's.

post-3273-1142371791.jpg (wheels detached)

Frame has shock absorbers, pouches are big and also got detachable wheels. Got the cart new from ebay for $75 and the racks for $50.

Edited by norbs007

Since the handgun is holstered, and the shotty and rifle have slings, I've just stuck with some South African pattern web gear. It consists of a belt and suspenders with 2 integral fanny packs, each of which can hold up to 100+ shotgun shells. It also has 4 permanently attached mag packs that can hold 2, 20rd 30cal mags each or 3, 30rd 5.56 mags each. The set came with an additional bag that can hold lots more stuff. Packed out, I'm toting the belt, bag (extra rifle and handgun ammo), shotgun ammo belt, water, and guns. No carts here. The actual load is like 250 handgun rounds, 250 rifle rounds (much is in mags), and 150 shotgun rounds. There's also a liter of water and snacks stashed. When I get to a stage, I just set it all down, make sure I have the right stuff for the stage and go shoot.

Between stages, I probably look like some form of psycho from a bad B grade scifi movie, but I don't have to worry with a cart. After the match, I just pop the trunk of the car, stow the weapons and drop the whole shebang in and go.

Best part is the entire web gear set was only $35, and I don't even use the entire rig.

• 2 months later...
I took our babyjogger after the kids were too big for it and converted it into a three gun cart. Its worked out ver well and all the parts for the conversion cost about 10 bucks.

LOL and I thought I was the only one. Yeah it works great and you dont have to buy any new gear, the kid don't need and hell the wife barely used it so its like brand new.

Do a search on the internet for Pier Fishing Carts. They are built out of aluminum with pneumatic tires and have 1 1/2 " rod holder tubes on the sides. You can make a rack out of heavy walled PVC pipe to hold your rifle and shotgun using the rod holders. Inside you have plenty of room for range bags, ammo and even a cooler. That is what we use in Florida. They are around $100.00 and very well built and light weight. Mine fits in the back of my Avalance with the cover on the bed ( with the rifle and shotgun rack taken off)

Baby's R Us, get the Extreme Cart for about $99. Go or Web shop at Cabellas for ATV Gun Racks, get 2 sets.

Total invested about $160 or so.

Time about 1 hour, the cart seat folds nearly flat so it holds a large Shooting bag, there are ttwo net bags under the cart that work well for empty bullet boxes and knee pads etc.

I can easily carry two long guns and a pistol on this rig.

Last week we shot steel, I had two pistols and ammo for both, then in the afternoon we shot again, this time shotgun and 22 rifle, again more than ample space.

The Rugged Gear carts are maybe a bit heavier than this cart and I do like the pin that goes thru the hing, but the Rugged Gear cart will not easily fit a large bag. It was designed, not for three gun, but rather for Clays. The seat area is stepped to hold boxes of shot shells.

Very nice unit, but expensive. Alos, the front wheel of the Expedition cart is mounted to the steel tubes of the cart as opposed to a plastic molded part.

The only tools you need to build the cart I have are a 7/16 wrench, a large screwdriver and maybe a saw to cut off the mount for the baby sunshade. the mount gets in the way of your long guns.

One other thing, the Rugged Gear cart carries your long gun "Inside" which places them over the place where you put your bag. If you do what I did, the mounts fo r the long guns are outside so your bag is fully accessible.

Jim Norman