Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burn Out

hopalong

I will offer a little insight on what burnout does to a person.

I am quite competitve by nature always have been.

As most of you know I have shot the Revolver exclusively for the last 2 years partly because of the challenge it represents and because somehow it seems pretty natural to me.

I started in 2004 shooting the wheel gun, was a B class Limited shooter.

Every one knows that Jerry Miculek is the Barrometer in Revolver shooting, I first got to shoot with him at A-3 in 2004 and go to meet the nicest two people you could ever want to know(Kay and Jerry). I also managed to end up 60% of him for the match, with 2 stage wins.

So I saw what I needed to work on to improve for Nationals, worked on it and made a goal of 70% and hopefully the shootoffs.

Nationals came, missed the shootoffs by 2 spots but did make the 70% and was quite satisfied.

Now is where it changes.

I usually take a break during the winter months but that winter 04-05 I kept at it, not much dry fire as I preferr the information feedback provided by bullet holes.

Scheduled major matches(13) into the mix to keep pushing the BIG MATCH atmosphere to help get the anxiety issue that we all get when going to a big match.

Starting in March I would hit the range Saturday or Sunday and go through a pretty strict practice regimine that required 4 hours Min and 1000 rounds min, then on the other day I'd try to hit a local match, with the goal of 60% of the overall match winner(usually an Open or Ltd M or GM)

Work took an unexpected downturn and in April I took a voluteer lay-off to get more range time, which I took advantage of.

Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays were spent with 6 hrs at the range working on what I thought I needed to work on. I was doing this all by myself, no one else to practice with, and no one to offer advice.

Tuesdays and Thursdays were 4 hrs of shooting stages or other scenarios.

This went on from mid April to June when I was satisfied with the results and started to really concentrate on not trying to speed up things but to eleminate mistakes.

Nationals was in July and after the last 3 months I set a personal goal of 80% or better of Jerry and wanted top 3.

The two weeks before Nationals I worked on mainly steel trying to get my eyes to catch up to my hands, seems to have worked as I could run a 3 second run on a TX star and sub 3s of the plate rack at 15 yds.

Time came for Nationals, chose to shoot with my friends in a squad full of Master class Limited shooters....good bunch of guys and glad I did.

Was having what I thought was a decent match with a few little uh-ohs but nothing serious I think 2 misses for 12 stages and one No-shoot. On the last day I put 4 stages back to back together that I thought were pretty good and came up on a stage that I thought would be the "make it or break it" stage.

I saw it as two ways to shoot it. Agressive and put the nail in the coffin or safely and hope it turned out good. I chose the first way and managed to really screw it up with 2 noshoots and 4 mikes(2 caused by the no-shoots) and ZEROED the stage. My choice I'll live with it and don't regret it.

Finished up the the match and ended up 78% of Jerry with a 90 point stage zeroed.....pretty good in most folks eyes, even managed to win 2 stages one of them the hardest stage of the match.

But after the one stage I was not even satisfied with 78% even though I had made the goal of 80% and after the months of working on shooting I felt pretty disgusted with myslef.

Now the time for Sections come up, still shooting the wheelgun but not as hard and often but still more than in 2004. Have only 4 total shooters for the two section matches I atttend and that is the straw that broke the camels back. After the Mississippi Classic I put away the wheelgun and have not shot it more than 24 rounds since. :(

In that time I went through 60,000+ rounds of Major .45 and by then don't really care if I ever shoot another again and even contemplated quitting and selling some of my gear to recoup the time off and cost of the year. :angry:

The only thing that saved me takeing a leave of abscence is the Limited gun Benny Hill built for me, I started shooting it a little and did not have any preconcieved ideas of that I should do good no great no matter what. It put the fun back into what I started as a fun hobby.

So in a nutshell, please don't take it too seriously........As I did or it will drive you away as it almost did me. Plus, I'm not a quitter and don't plan on becoming one ;)

KEEP it FUN!

Hopalong

Oh yeah, for the what ifs.....

If I had shot the stage with the same 78% as the rest of the match........

2nd or 3rd and 85% of Jerry....

But I didn't and it doesn't matter any more.

Edited by hopalong

Man, great post. I really enjoy reading thoughts on setting goals, obstacles, problems, successes....

My only observation, is now you're shooting a top-of-the line Limited pistol, as a Master(?)-class shooter.

Doesn't sound like the competitive fire has exactly burnt-out, or converted to "fun-only" :)

I had to focus on the fun after my last burnout, although I burned out as MD and it carried over to anything related to shooting.

Glad to hear you figured out a way to get the fun back into the picture.

Boo,

Funny thing......when I first started I took all the Limited shooting I had done and applied it to the wheel, reloads and other revolver specific stuff aside.

Now that I'm tinkering with the Ltd gun I have taken much I have learned from the wheel and applied it.

And I don't know about Master.....that is just a silly average that doesn't mean much. ;)

DaJerrell,

Glad to hear it, you must be healing well. I will be there on Friday if I can make it at all. Benny Blaster in tow! :)

Tony........... :)

HOP

Edited by hopalong

Sam,

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. The lessons learned while shooting revolver will improve your limited game when you return to it. Imagine, spend six months to a year (or more) trying to know where every shot goes because you only have six and have a planned target for each of them. You have (hopefully) learned to place (call) your shots and shoot with no misses or penalties. You just cannot afford them. Then pick up the limited gun. Sooo many of the concepts you have cultivated while shooting revolver can only help your limited shooting. No wonder you ran your average up to "Master" level. :)

FWIW

dj

I too was feeling a little burnt out. But not with shooting, but with ROing.

I worked a lot of majors in the 04 and the first part of 05. Getting up at 5:00am and working until 5:00pm can take a toll on anyone and I was no exception. I ended up stepping back a little the last part of 05 and concentrated on competing. I ended up moving from D class to B in L10 last year. And now I'm working on improving my rating in production. I do plan on ROing a few majors this year, just not as many as in the past. Its sure is nice to take a break and just showing up to shoot.

Cheers,

John

John,

Too Many people do the exact same thing, it is called Passion......Glad you got straightend up.

Dennis,

Man you're lettting the cat out of the bag. That is supposed to be our(revolver division) little secret. ;)

Hopalong

just another dummy that shoots :blink:

• 5 months later...

Now an update, just 3 weeks prior to the 2006 Nationals.

I have deliberately avoided shooting much revolver, and have not practiced other than a plate rack or two every now and then.

I have shot the revolver in 4 major matches this year and have done ok with it for not having shot it much.

We had the Tennessee Section match last weekend, I was going to use it as a springboard to the Nationals and get practiced up just a little(so I don't embarrase the rest of the wheelgunners).

BUT....................

I got so HOT, Tired and physically drained from shooting all day Friday, and RO ing the rest of the weekend, I really don't care if I see another gun, match or whatever right now. :(

So here we are, back in the same boat...............just this time it has a leak. :angry:

Up until this weekend I had actually been looking forward to the state match, and the Nationals................now have even considered withdrawing from the Nationals.......something I never would have thought I'd even consider. <_<

AMAZING what a weekend will do to a person.

Good luck people.

SAM

I'm with you Sam. What I have to try to remember is that all that crap is a distraction from the shooting. The challenge for me is to not let it get me down. I still need to find the Alphas.

Through the fog of distractions and expectations, it can be hard to see what you need to see...

I'll be heading out for the Prod. Nats in Tulsa...right after I lock the gate on the Ohio match this year. Giddyup !!

That shall be a true iron mans test for you Flex. I thought.. damn he is tough.. or crazy for holding it the weekend before nationals.. but with little choice that late in the season. Well I hope some of us can let you de-stress some before nats man!

Sam, get away from shooting. get off this forum. do something else.. don't even talk shooting for a week... you'll miss it and be back with atleast a little fire. It's all the other crap that distracts us from shooting ( the ammo loading the practice)

What ever yappened to "weeeehheeeeeeee my turn to shoot :-D" find that and we find the true "beginners mind"

Edited by Steve Moneypenny

Wonderful posts. Funny I should read this today. I mentioned to a friend to take a little vacation after the Nationals so he doesn't get burned out.

I shot competitive archery for years and would take at least two weeks off after a big match. No shooting, no fletching no thoughts of the sport. I wish I would have done the same thing in pistol shooting because after many years I had a burnout like I never did before.

Got to remember that this is something we do, it is not what we are. There are other things in life.

Sam take some time off and come back slow. Maybe don't shoot between now and the Nationals. You will be surprised how well you will do when you just don't care about how you finish.

Hey Sam, this past weekend was brutally hot and humid and really took a toll on us all. Not to mention you had one of the toughest stages to RO and be sure it was all reset correctly. :( Don't let it keep you away from the Nats! Just step back a little then go wear them out at the Nats, then take a break, you've earned it. :)

I think your best bet is for me to come pick you up and we'll go get knee walkin commode huggin drunk and chase women! :ph34r: Whadaya say? But do keep in mind that when I go chasin women, damn they can run! :P

Burnout is a tough thing to overcome...

many a morning when the alarm went off..that instead of a match or practice..I rolled over and went to sleep..just no motivation..

sometimes a layoff is the best thing..a buddy of mine has totally quit for the year..after a really working at it the last two years..

sometimes its switching guns and no major matches..that can bring the fun back into it..hanging out and shooting..

Sam..good luck..I hope you find what makes you happy..

if you make it Nationals..maybe see ya there...I'll be the one with no expectations.. :D

Sam,

I shot the Tenn Sec match as well (was on Matt Mink's squad). I feel for ya. Dont feel too bad, it was very hot and humid and by the end of the first day of shooting (Sat for us, we shot 8 stages), I was tired, hot and actually to stop for the day and go back to the hotel and shower, eat and go to sleep.

Now, that was my first day, you did that for 3 days in a row. Relax, take a break and remember this is supposed to be fun. When I made GM in Limited like 5 years ago, I was working my butt off and after doing that for years, it wasn't fun anymore, it felt like work and I began to dread it. That is when I took a break and walked away for about a year and half to 2 years. I reminded myself, it has to be fun. I have enough work to do at work, I dont need more work, I need some fun.

Maybe change divisions or just take a break completely, but the heat was getting to all of us.

Now Sam, you know darn well that if you don't go to the Nationals you will kick yourself later. Heck, you drove all the Pennsylvania to chase down a slot.

You need to shoot like me - wake up, remember it is match day, grab your gun, shoot the match, put the gun back in the safe, and and not touch it again until you wake up on the morning of the match day. And if you practice, shame on you!!!!

.......oh, and go diving in between all the matches! :)

No worries folks, I said I don't care if I see another gun, match or what ever................

But that doesn't mean I'm done.................nobody stuck a fork in me!!! ;)

see some of you Saturday at the KY 3-gun match.................bring a crying towel.........I might need it! :blink:

SAM

Interesting and timely post Hop.

I haven't shot in three months and I know wht you're feeling. I've also decided not to shoot in July or August anymore. It's just too damn hot and I'm getting too old to put up with that heat.

Good luck and try not to over-think it.

Looks like more of us are having the same troubles. I decided to take it easy after the end of the 2005 shooting season. I have shot, 4 matches since and don't feel like practicing at all. The weird thing is that I don't even care about my lack of interest for shooting. I have more fun things to do :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well Nationals is over (for Me) and Performance wise I was "a little off" but that's the way it goes.

I had a good time with my squadmates, friends new and old, but just did not seem to enjoy the "moment" like in the past. Don't know what was different or missing but there was something different.

Wheelgun will be cleaned up this weekend and put way in the back of the safe. IF and when I shoot, it will be with the LTD gun. The only time I plan on shooting a wheelgun for the rest of the year will be with my 41 mag, at a BIG FAT DEER! ;)

I have enjoyed the challenge of shooting a revolver in USPSA/IPSC but I am/was lucky enough to have had no major troubles adapting to it. Now the challenge is not in the shooting but in the wanting to shoot :angry: .........A much larger and tougher challenge that I have yet to decide to tackle.

Good luck to you all.

SAM