Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've seen some really wierd questions answered on this forum due to the huge amount of knowledge from the combined membership. That's one of the coolest things about the BEnosverse! So here's my wierd situation....

I've long been convinced I have sleep apnea. Read a list of symptoms and I hit about 90%. One of my brothers even developed heart trouble from it.

Just before Christmas I took a preliminary test which monitors blood oxygen levels while sleeping. Results indicate "a strong likelyhood of apnea" (no surprise to me). I'm going in for the full-blown sleep study next week.

Whatever my options are, I'm ready for some relief. Going through life tired all of the time just plain Sucks. there's really nothing normal about being so sleepy at 11:00AM, after sleeping for 7-8 hours, that you're falling asleep while sitting erect in an office chair.

Anyone here have experience with the various treatments for this? I'm familiar with the CPAP device, and honestly don't know if I can learn to live with that contraption on my face while sleeping. I've read about some surgical alternatives, but data seems to conflict on thier effectiveness.

Any help or insights are appreciated, as always.

...Mark

I was having the same problem, a doctor's assistant at the local hospital recommended 'Ocean Spray' to see if that helped. It actually fixed the problem for me, I use it every night. It's an over the counter saline nasal spray, no prescription and you can get it at most supermarkets.

pro_OCEAN.gif

My dad who is 56 was having the same problem....falling asleep at the office at 10am....He was prescribed the machine and since he has been using it he is like a changed man...wakes rested and does not fall asleep at the drop of a hat.....Seems to work for several people in the forum....Good luck

Whatever you end up doing, please don't "F" around with this. My wife lost her father when she was 13 due to sleep apnea. He was scheduled to see his doctor the morning after he died.

What he said (or +1 to use the more common vernacular).

Also cut back on alcohol and caffeine, both can contribute. Your doctor will give you the best advice.

The only advice I can give on the subject:

5. Don't let anyone talk you into the Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty procedure!!

I assume that word refers to the removal of the Uvula (sp?).

A little over a year ago, I had my tonsils and Uvula removed for sleep apnea. Definitely not something that is a quick fix.

One week, that I would rather forget, followed by almost 6 months of nothing tasting normal (When my taste came back, I did eat enough to gain back all the weight I lost).

BUT, I can now sleep without waking up every ten minutes.

There was no way I could sleep with a CPAP machine.

Previously I would limit my available sleep time to only 4-5 hours a night and would feel more rested than when I spent 7 hours in bed.

Another side effect in my case - I have some acid reflux, and it seems when you open everything up so you can breathe, it also make it easier for acid to come up.

My wife also sleeps a lot better - she doesn't wake up when I stop breathing or from my snoring (which is completely gone).

My wife has this, She sleeps with a C pacpmachine. It seems to help!

Ivan

Not something I look forward to, but at this point I'll try anything. Might have to get a new alarm for the house though. I already sleep like the dead (when I sleep) and with that fan blowing, someone could steal the bed with me in it.

I was having the same problem, a doctor's assistant at the local hospital recommended 'Ocean Spray' to see if that helped. It actually fixed the problem for me, I use it every night. It's an over the counter saline nasal spray, no prescription and you can get it at most supermarkets.

I'll look for it tomorrow. Thanks, Brit.

Whatever you end up doing, please don't "F" around with this. My wife lost her father when she was 13 due to sleep apnea. He was scheduled to see his doctor the morning after he died.

Thanks, TT. I don't intend to screw around with any more than the 12 or so years I already have. Seriously, it worries the pure Hell out of me. I know I have to die one day, but for God's sake, don't let it be from something like this!

Your physician will give you the best options for you. Sometimes all you have to do is quit smoking or lose weight. :)

Just my luck he'll prescribe both. :angry:

My dad has it. He tried the spray but it didn't help. He does just fine with that contrapition on his face. It is a good time to make fun of him in the morning when he forgets to take it off and walks into the hall dragging it behind him. :lol:

That made me smile. But at least he's vertical and well above room temperature.

The only advice I can give on the subject:

5. Don't let anyone talk you into the Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty procedure!!

I assume that word refers to the removal of the Uvula (sp?).

A little over a year ago, I had my tonsils and Uvula removed for sleep apnea. Definitely not something that is a quick fix.

One week, that I would rather forget, followed by almost 6 months of nothing tasting normal (When my taste came back, I did eat enough to gain back all the weight I lost).

BUT, I can now sleep without waking up every ten minutes.

There was no way I could sleep with a CPAP machine.

Previously I would limit my available sleep time to only 4-5 hours a night and would feel more rested than when I spent 7 hours in bed.

Another side effect in my case - I have some acid reflux, and it seems when you open everything up so you can breathe, it also make it easier for acid to come up.

My wife also sleeps a lot better - she doesn't wake up when I stop breathing or from my snoring (which is completely gone).

Funny how that works. If I sleep 4-5 hours, it's harder to get up, but I fell better all day. If I actually sleep 7-8 hours, I wake right up but feel like shit all day. That's just wrong.

Oh yeah -- snoring. I don't want to boast, but some qualified judges have stated mine is without a doubt the worst they ever heard (the attendants at a sleep clinic where I had an flawed test done about 12-13 years ago).

I also could NOT live with a CPAP machine. Tried for 8 months and gave up. I have since lost ALOT of weight and the problem has been gone for years. Breath right strips may also help. Are you overweight?

I've tried them, but they didn't seem to have much of an effect.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks everyone for the good advice and the encouragement. My brother who almost died from this messy called me tonight and was very uplifting. He kept saying, "You won't remember feeling as good as when you finally get a good night's rest!" Damn, it's been soooo long since I've done that.

Whether by CPAP or surgery (I will consider it) I'm gonna get this behind me. Then, look out for the big ugly guy speeding through a field course at a match sometime....

Sometimes the saline sprays just aren't enough. My doc suggested I do the saline nasal lavage route. Basically rinse the sinuses out every morning with 8 oz of warm saline. Sounds weird and you feel like you are drowning the first couple times but now I am used to it and it REALLY helps. Combined with Flonase to combat the allergies and I now keep my wife awake because I am NOT snoring.

No lie! She has awakened me several times because she couldn't hear me breathing. In the process of seeing me breathe she wakes me up. Freaked her out and she didn't get much sleep for a couple nights. I sleep soundly now.

I have also lost some weight (more to go...isn't there always?) and am getting more exercise.

I have several friends on the CPAP devices and they swear by them.

Good Luck with this.

I have the same thing in a mild case at this point, My day had it also and used the CPAP with great success. He cussed it at first but wouldn't go without it after a while. It sounds like you have a lot in common with how he slept.

After he lost the five year fight with cancer and it's treatments my mom and I looked into finish paying for it for me to use. But after talking to the doctor we turned it back in. There are two types of machines and it takes a doctor to determine the needs.

I hope you the best with getting this handled.

My wife noticed my snoring getting worse as I gained weight. I have had an acid reflux/heartburn issue since I was a kid. I used to eat Tums like candy and am now on Prevacid. Nexium is better but my insurance won't cover it (not sure why, they cost the same and Nexium works MUCH better). But when I did the Apnea test, I had it pretty bad.

I was up to 208 pounds (it doesn't seem like much, but for my medium frame, it was too big). I had to take that damn test twice because they didn't find an optimal pressure to set my machine to. I tried just the over the nose connection and had my sinuses completely blocked up within 5 mins. I needed the full face mask. When they finally determined the pressure I needed, it turns out it was higher than what the Doc wanted to use, so I had the machine set to 15 cm. I got a unit that detects when I exhale, so it goes in an in/out cycle. I was able to adapt to the full face mask and since I listen to headphones all night, it was pretty easy to ignore the sound of the machine. My wife hates it though.

I've been on WW for almost a year now and have dropped about 10 pounds (which is what the doctor told me to do when I went on it). I have since stopped snoring completely (when I take a nap without the machine). I had the sleep center people set the pressure lower on the machine (11 cm with a ramp up from 8 cm) and am actually using it only when I feel I need it. Since I lost the weight, I've not really needed it much and am seeing my Doctor tomorrow for a follow-up.

It's not something you want to mess with since this is also what killed a famous football player, Reggie White. Get checked out, try the machine. Use a full face mask if the nose only thing doesn't appeal to you. When I really needed it, it improved my waking hours so that I no longer felt tired when I was supposed to be (driving, working, shooting, etc).

Vince

Sometimes the saline sprays just aren't enough. My doc suggested I do the saline nasal lavage route. Basically rinse the sinuses out every morning with 8 oz of warm saline. Sounds weird and you feel like you are drowning the first couple times but now I am used to it and it REALLY helps. Combined with Flonase to combat the allergies and I now keep my wife awake because I am NOT snoring.

No lie! She has awakened me several times because she couldn't hear me breathing. In the process of seeing me breathe she wakes me up. Freaked her out and she didn't get much sleep for a couple nights. I sleep soundly now.

I have also lost some weight (more to go...isn't there always?) and am getting more exercise.

I have several friends on the CPAP devices and they swear by them.

Kevin, that just sounds absolutely freaky to me. I've had a pretty intense fear of drowning since I was a kid, but finally got over the whole phobia of water-thing and learned to swim when I was 11 (combine an infant with a high-dive and an older brother with a very sick sense of humor and these things happen). BUT, at this point I might try anything. I'll mention this to my doctor.

*I can see it now -- they'll have to disarm me and get everyone in the office to hold me down while he demonstrates how it's done. :o

When I really needed it, it improved my waking hours so that I no longer felt tired when I was supposed to be (driving, working, shooting, etc).

Vince

Thanks Vince, That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

It sounds like there's more than a few people here who know how bad it sucks to feel dog-assed tired most of the time. I hate this. I swear I do.

*Please excuse the whining and bitching, but I am SO ready to be done with this.

Edited by ima45dv8

The kit I use is from NeilMed Pharmaceuticals (www.neilmed.com). I got it at Shopko for like $12. It isn't a prescription thing. Living in dry country I find that I have a lot less problems with dry and cracked nasal tissues too.

They say to use boiled and cooled water but that is a huge hassle so I use bottled water. You don't want to use straight tap water as it might give you something you don't want like some weird bacterial infection.

I nuke it just long enough to bring it up to slightly warmer than body temp (probably about 110 degrees). They make the salt up in little pre-measured packets which seems like a big waste of time. Then I sat down one night with the reloading scale and weighed out a few and realized that the little pre-measured packets are a LOT easier to deal with.

FWIW...two of my friends who are members of the "hose nose club" as they call it are prime physical specimens. One is a tri-athlete the other is a physical trainer. Neither is even slightly overweight. So it isn't all about weight...but that is a major component for many of us.

A former prof of mine in college almost died from apnea. Luckily his wife was a former nurse and was able to revive him. He became a member of the hose nose club very quickly.

The kit I use is from NeilMed Pharmaceuticals (www.neilmed.com). I got it at Shopko for like $12. It isn't a prescription thing. Living in dry country I find that I have a lot less problems with dry and cracked nasal tissues too.

They say to use boiled and cooled water but that is a huge hassle so I use bottled water. You don't want to use straight tap water as it might give you something you don't want like some weird bacterial infection.

I nuke it just long enough to bring it up to slightly warmer than body temp (probably about 110 degrees). They make the salt up in little pre-measured packets which seems like a big waste of time. Then I sat down one night with the reloading scale and weighed out a few and realized that the little pre-measured packets are a LOT easier to deal with.

FWIW...two of my friends who are members of the "hose nose club" as they call it are prime physical specimens. One is a tri-athlete the other is a physical trainer. Neither is even slightly overweight. So it isn't all about weight...but that is a major component for many of us.

A former prof of mine in college almost died from apnea. Luckily his wife was a former nurse and was able to revive him. He became a member of the hose nose club very quickly.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

"Hose Nose Club". Sounds obscene. :lol:

Man, they make a kit?! And here I've been making a mess scooping water out of a bowl all this time. Seriously, snorting warm salt water is great for colds, sinus infections, allergies, etc. I laughed when I first heard of it too, but it's better (and a lot cheaper) than any over the counter cold/allergy/sinus remedy. I guess I should add apnea aid to the list now...

I have been using a CPAP machine (with built in humidifier) for about three years. Made a profound difference in my overall energy and fatigue level. Everything looks ugly and will probably stop you from being a chick magnet in bed, but from a health standpoint, nothing else totally cures snoring, oxygenates your blood, and allows you to function normally. Was told sleep apnea typically effects middle age overweight men with larger than 17" necks. THAT'S ME! Sleeping on you back is a small challenge, but the results are worth it. Good luck!

Edited by lndshrk

Was told sleep apnea typically effects middle age overweight men with larger than 17' necks.

Hey! I resemble that remark! Well, assuming you meant 17 inch, not 17 foot. ;)

The rinse bottle in the NeilMed kit makes the thing a LOT less messy and is worth every penny. I tried the bowl of saline method, I tried snorting it with straw (hint...don't!) etc.

Edited by kimel

Your physician will give you the best options for you. Sometimes all you have to do is quit smoking or lose weight. :)

+1

The snoring suggests (but doesn't prove) obstruction. ENT's that I've talked to point to weight as a major contributor with weight loss being considered by some to be a better option than surgery, and coming from docs who make their living in the OR, that's something.

CPAP and other meds can help a lot (antihistamines and decongestants, for instance, if you have strong allergies), and surgery is sometimes recommended if you have a specific problem such as enlarged adenoids/tonsils. But treatments are not necessarily cures and surgery is a major intervention that is not without significant cost, discomfort and risks. If you are a magnum sized person, while not easy, weight loss could be helpful in many ways, not just for the apnea.

But again, talk to good docs, your primary MD and perhaps a pulmonologist or an otolaryngologist.

Good luck,

Kevin C

I have been using a CPAP machine (with built in humidifier) for about three years. Made a profound difference in my overall energy and fatigue level. Everything looks ugly and will probably stop you from being a chick magnet in bed, but from a health standpoint, nothing else totally cures snoring, oxygenates your blood, and allows you to function normally. Was told sleep apnea typically effects middle age overweight men with larger than 17" necks. THAT'S ME! Sleeping on you back is a small challenge, but the results are worth it. Good luck!

OK, you guys are convincing me the CPAP should be given a chance (no worries about being a ckick magnet for me). But the idea of sleeping on my back is already making it hurt. If I can learn to sleep on my side with it I may have found the answer.

I wish the date for the "official" sleep study would get here sooner.

Edited by ima45dv8