Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Advice For Rimfire Steel

Husker95

I have been shooting a few steel matches at our local club over the past year, usually with a 1911 45. Couple nights ago, i shot the rimfire round with my S&W 622. I was using cheap a@@ American Eagle ammo and it seemed like i was always 'waiting' for the strike to move on to the next tgt. Plus, i had a couple malfunctions. What is a consistently good 22 ammo for these types of matches? Thanks.

Most every thing in shooting has gotten to be very good= Equipment ,bullets,shoters

But! rimfire amoe is not. I shoot way too much rimfire. and if you want it to work 99.8% of the time you may be disapointed.

I will only use CCI in a match and practice. If I get to doing too good I will pick up a box of cheep bulk box 22 =just to help keep my hair thin.

CCI Miny mags non hollow point are worth the $3.75 per 100 if you want the gun to go bang every time.

I buy a case of CCI minimags from Midway every year, or when I run out.... :o . I can also recommend the Blazer .22s as well. They shot as well as standards in my Marvel and Ruger 22/45. A cheaper alternative is the 550 bulk Federal pack at Walmart, but some guns wont run it. First off you need to find out what will run 100% in your gun. If the gun wont run 250-300 rounds with good ammo then it is a gun problem. Get it fixed up so you can do a lot of practice with your .22 on steel. It does help dramatically! Good luck, DougC

Im with the mini mags as well, I have 2 Brownings that adore them and they rarely if ever fail to ignite. They seem to be the most accurate too in my guns, even better than true match ammo.

Agreed on CCI rimfire, it is always consistant. I've used quite a few bricks of the Mini Mag Silhouette which was select batches of Mini Mag that graded out at a higher quality. Unfortunatly, CCI does not appear to offer it any longer. But their new 22 LR Select appears to be a similar product with a lead bullet at subsonic velocity rather than the copper plated, higher speed version on the Mini Mags.

I have had excelent luck and accuracy with the cci mini mags in both my 22/45 and my 10 22 T. 3/8 groups at 50 yards with the rifle are not uncommon and I can recall no failures with of any kind with this ammo.

The cheap federals at wal mart also work quite well with my 22/45 with good accuracy and few faiures, a bout 3 per 550 round box.

Like anything else, you need to see what works for you. The CCI's shoot very average in both my pistol and rifle. I like the Walmart Federal Lightening. At under a buck a box, the only thing that shoots better for me is the over $5.00 premium ammo.

Mike

I ahve been shooting the Lapua signum a little more expensive but goes bang ALL the time and good groups both from the 10/22's and the marvel conversions.

Also it is 1010 FPS out of the pistol so less recoil. I know what you are goin to say but after less is less :)

Edited by Angus Hobdell

A friend turned me onto the CCI Blazer .22s. They seem to be about the softest shooting .22s (redundant?) we've found. Accuracy and function were very good, too. It surprised me 'cause most Blazer ammo has always seemed pretty hot (in their centerfire loadings, at least).

• 2 weeks later...

I run CCI Blazers because they are cheap and pretty reliable. However some lots have given me and a friend misfires. We get good primer strikes (out of Mark 2's) but failure to light off. Recently I tried 3 times with one round and it didn't light and another guy who was shooting tried the same round in a Browning Buckmark and it failed to light off also, 4 good hits failed to ignite the round. In the last match I had 2 FTFire in one magazine , but not another FTFire for the rest of the match. For an important match I would use Wolf Match Target. The accuracy is very good and they work 100% of the time. Blazers cost about $6.95 per 500 when I can find them on sale or usually $7.95 otherwise. Wolf MT is about $31.00 per 500 plus shipping, or locally for $35.00.

Old Blind Squirrel B)

After trying lots of different ammo in my Ruger MK III I finally settled on the "cheap stuff". The Federal bulk pack hollow points from Walmart ($8 for a box of 550) seem to work the best. Yeah, I get about one misfire for every two boxes but I'm ok with that. Plus, there's no lead to handle and they are very accurate in my gun. It seems that almost every .22 is a little finicky about what ammo it likes, but once you find something that works you will be good to go. So far I'm on my third box without any hiccups and I haven't cleaned it in about 2k rounds either.

-Cuz.

Buy a box of nearly every .22 you can get your hands on. Try them all. Find the ones that work best, try more of them, when you finally get the one or the few that function well in your particular gun, BUY by the case.

Accuracy varies greatly between brands. I've seen 25 yard targets that ranged from slightly over 1/4" to well over an inch fired from a match rifle. Interestinglu enough, different guns can reverse the results. It is the combination that works best for you that you are looking for.

Jim Norman

+1 on Jim's comments on trying lots of different ammo, and then double checking more of what works best for ongoing function and accuracy.

Just don't do what I did - tested ONE box each of many brands, and bought 5K of a reasonably accurate inexpensive brand and 1K of an exotic expensive brand, and found out that one box of each isn't enough to insure reliable function. Lots of misfires with the cheap stuff (different lot of ammo). The expensive stuff is OK, so far... :wacko:

Kevin C.