Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok All You Web Designers

Ok so the company website leaves a lot to be desired, quite boring actually. I have a lot of experience with authoring DVD/CD but am looking for some direction on what program/application I need to learn in order to re-design our website and also maintain and update it in the future.

Thanks...

I know I'm probably in the minority of developers, but I like "clean" sites developed as plain HTML/DHTML.

I would suggest the Werbach barebones guide, and javascript.com. You can go to w3c.org for the XSL/XML standards. Do some menus, and add some grafics in. It's amazing what you can do with a little know how. HTML-kit is good.

I may as well chime in for Macromedia Dreamweaver as well. Did my own site in that. I used to build pages from absolute scratch (which was a great way to learn), but Dreamweaver makes it soooo incredibly easy with its design (graphic interface) view. However, you can access code view as well and do tweakings from 'inside' the layout if you like (which I have done on occasion), so the options are good for manipulating your creations either cosmetically or surgically.

I know I'm probably in the minority of developers, but I like "clean" sites developed as plain HTML/DHTML.

+2 on that. My favorite tool is Macromedia's HomeSite - clean, standards-correct, easily maintained code.

I like straightup html (and php) nowadays, but recognize the power inherent in a site management tool like Dreamweaver, or even Adobe GoLive.

Don't wanna' learning curve, get Dreamweaver, or GoLive, do an ftp import and BAM!, website in a can, pretty as can be.

Wanna' be be a real hardcore coder and learn the nuts and bolts, do it with a text editor, an ftp client and some elbow grease.

My advice if you want to keep your life simple is to use the management application (I like GoLive, myself).

I remember being introduced to HomeSite some time ago... I thought, however, that HomeSite had been discontinued....... Or was it that Macromedia had bought up Allaire.....?

Macromedia bought up Allaire. As far as I know, HomeSite's still available (believe v5.5 was the last).

I have been teaching Web site development and html at our local high school for 10 years. Of all the development tools, Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 is about the most intuitive and it has a shallow learning curve. In fact, Macromedia Studio 8 is just plain nifty.

I remember being introduced to HomeSite some time ago... I thought, however, that HomeSite had been discontinued....... Or was it that Macromedia had bought up Allaire.....?

Macromedia bought up Allaire. As far as I know, HomeSite's still available (believe v5.5 was the last).

At one time a few years back HomeSite and ColdFusion were slated to be dropped, then thay had a change of mind for some reason.

Now it has all been bought by Adobe so who knows what the future has in store.

+1 for Dreamweaver.

I have no problem developing websites in notepad or VI and I've done plenty of it but these days the code view in Dreamweaver is the way to go. It incorporates all the features of Homesite and adds a lot more. There are no problems with clean code in Dreamweaver using the code view. If you want to see dirty, try Frontpage or even pages generated out of MS Word.

Homesite was so good that Macromedia scrapped their own app in favor of using Homesite as the development core for Dreamweaver. Adobe did the same thing. Develop in Homesite, have your clients purchase Contribute, and you really can't go wrong. Actually, these days it's hard to go wrong period. I think a monkey could make a great looking website or just buy one cheap.

http://www.templatemonster.com/category/last-added/

I've been doing it for years and I can't come close to giving you a site this nice for under $100.

John

Ok now my next dumb question.

Can I design our website, since we already have server space from a service provider, put said website on server space and it is now usuable.

I'm decent with Macromedia Director. Those that can compare the learning curve for director and dreamweaver what would it be?

Thanks a bunch guys.

...so simple a caveman could do it...

Oh no...now Bonedaddy is going to be offended. :)

No he's not --- he'll be buying a copy of Dreamweaver and transform himself into a web designer extraordinaire, which will really just give him more time to shoot.....

and to pick the bones out of his teeth..... :lol::lol: