Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Educate Me On The Kaboom

bountyhunter

I am getting a G35 in a few days. It has the stock barrel.

Is it "safe" to shoot good quality reloads? I am currently shooting Miwall .40 FMJ reloads by the case and have never had a problem.

I have read Glock warns only to shoot new ammo. I have heard it's only a problem in bad reloads with weak brass.

Please weigh in on the safety of me shooting Miwall reloads in my G35. I am fond of my right hand and would not like to injure it...... (married 25 years, so it is my primary source of gratification).

I realize this KB thing is a hot topic and I'm not looking for a guarantee, just common sense advice based on experience.

EDITED TO ASK:

What's the worst case scenario for a kaboom? Barrel and slide are toast, mag blows out the bottom, grips off sideways......... what's the chance of hand injury?

Edited by bountyhunter

Don't know about the Miwall .40 FMJ reloads, but......I have been reloading the for the G35 for about 2 years and have not had a problem(minor for USPSA). Weak brass can be an issue but if the reloads are of quality you SHOULD be ok.

If you do a search on the topic you should find a lot of info!!! :D

Dave M.

I am not sure which is the longest running Glock myth, kaboom or lead bullets. I suspect that the guys that sell the aftermarket barrels keep it alive for obvious reasons. There is nothing wrong with your stock barrel. I have shot tens of thousands of reloads through my G35s. I don't recall ever firing factory ammo through either of them.

I get about 14,000 rounds from an 8 lb keg of Titegroup. I go through at least 3 kegs a year.

That being said I saw two Glocks blow up a couple of weeks ago at a local IDPA match, G22 and G21. They blew up on the same stage within 10 minutes of each other. Both were the result of either a dramatic overcharge or double charge.

Edited by Joe D

I have been told emphatically by Glock employees to stay away from lead bullets in their guns with stock barrels - apparently, the polygonal rifling tends to lead more heavily than standard cut rifling and may lead to higher than normal pressures - generally when followed up with a jacketed bullet of some sort. This was 7 or 8 years ago - the official party line may have changed since then, but... Obviously, Joe D doesn't agree with their opinion ;)

Other than that, I think you'll find a ton of people reloading for their Glocks here - do a search in the reloading forum, and you'll come up with what they're doing.

I've shot thousands of lead bullets in stock glock barrels, mostly 9mm. I did replace the 35 barrel with a KKM, not because I was worried about blowing it up, but because I hate bulged brass.

If you use good lead bullets, like Lasercast, and keep your pressure low, you shouldn't have to worry.

Most kB!'s are caused by bad ammo, like too little crimp that allows the bullet to setback in the case when it strikes the feed ramp, and causing overpressure detonation. Or, not enough or zero powder charge leading to a squib load, or overcharges.

Just go shoot your gun, but I personally wouldn't run a single Miwall round through any pistol I own, I've seen way to many problems with shooters using that stuff.

Please weigh in on the safety of me shooting Miwall reloads in my G35. I am fond of my right hand and would not like to injure it...... (married 25 years, so it is my primary source of gratification).

Thats Funny!

I would say reload your own rounds. you can reload and almost cut your price of bullets in half. After a few thousand round the loader has paid for its self and then some. As far as the barrel I would get a kkm barrel. I own one and love it. I think, whether it be a myth or not, its better to be safe than sorry, and I dont think you want to lose one of Rosies 5 friends. lol

The 40S&W is a high pressure round. I only shoot my reloads or factory. When you reload pay attention to what you are doing and you'll be fine. The factory barrel is fine. IMO most of the KB's are due to double charging the reload. It doesn't matter what you're shooting when mistakes in reloading are made which is why I say pay attention.

From what I've seen the gun is toast, frame and grips can creck, barrel and hood can split. Injuries are usually minor but that may not always be the case.

IMO the G35 and 40S&W round are very safe. Nothing really needs to be done to the platform, just go shoot it. Plenty of modifications can be done to satisfy your personal tastes.

If you reload I highly recomment the EGW under sizing die. You will eliminate the Glock bulge and forget about bullet setback. I also feel the Lee factory crimp Die (FCD) is a good investment. YMMV but I will not reload 40's without them now.

Bottom line go shoot it.

I had my first Kaboom Saturday at a local USPSA match. I was shooting a G-35 with stock barrell. :( The brass case blew out at the 6 o'clock. I pick up whatever brass is laying on the ground and toss out the bad ones at home. Guess 1 got thru the check. It was loaded with 4.3 of titegroup with a 180 gr. zero JHP. OAL was 1.125. no damage to the gun, very slight power burn on my right hand.

RW Magnus wrote: "If you reload I highly recomment the EGW under sizing die. You will eliminate the Glock bulge and forget about bullet setback. I also feel the Lee factory crimp Die (FCD) is a good investment. YMMV but I will not reload 40's without them now."

Exactly. Most people wrongly blame case head seperations on false "double charge" because they are clueless about what set-back is or how sensitive the .40 is to OAL/effect of a set back. Alternatively, they blame seperation on the Glock chamber or weak brass (though there ARE problems with certain older types of brass or really worn out .40 brass).

I have loaded well over 20K of .40; all of it with at least 180 grn bullets and most of it loaded to Major with sometimes questionable brass and using the die combo above, I have had ZERO KBs with .40.

I had my first Kaboom Saturday at a local USPSA match. I was shooting a G-35 with stock barrell. :( The brass case blew out at the 6 o'clock. I pick up whatever brass is laying on the ground and toss out the bad ones at home. Guess 1 got thru the check. It was loaded with 4.3 of titegroup with a 180 gr. zero JHP. OAL was 1.125. no damage to the gun, very slight power burn on my right hand.

That's why I don't pick up others brass. If I plan on shagging brass I mark mine before I shoot. Brassman sells once fired 40 brass cheap.

"4.3 of titegroup with a 180 gr. zero JHP. OAL was 1.125" is a safe load, I shoot 4.4gr, 180JHP at 1.128". Other than a bad piece of brass you could have expierenced bullet setback increasing the rounds pressure. Glad to hear you wern't hurt other than slight powder burn.

And if I didn't say it earlier "Pay Attention" when you reload. No distractions. I like to weigh powder charges & OAL every 25 rounds. I never reload for speed just take your time and do it right the first time.

I think the 40S&W has gotten a bad rap for KB's when in reality it's mostly shooter or reloader error. A stock box Glock .40S&W is as safe as anything out there to shoot. Hell the factory and self defense ammo is more stout than what most IPSC shooters reload to!

Thanks for all the replies.

Reloading myself is not an option. I have serious neck and spine problems. When I spend any significant time sitting with my head leaned forward, I get severe upper back pain and numbness across my back and into my hands.

Don't get old and DON'T ever fall off a motorcycle.

As for Miwall being crappy:

Yes and no. I have shot a ton of their .40 FMJ in my Para and Trojan and have had very few problems. The bullets will "set back" past the crimp when slammed into a vertical feedramp from slide drop..... step forward Para 1640 and confess your sins.

But in reality, that was a gun problem as the ramp was too flat and not cut properly (I fixed it). Never saw a case bulge noticably even though the Para barrel has about the same unsupported profile as the stock Glock barrel. I shot those "set back" rounds with no noticable difference at all.

Thanks again for the opinions.

I recently got a G35 and ran a few loads through the stock barrel .

My mind was changed by what I saw, Once fired brass seems to bulge slightly due to the overly large chamber dimensions , but did not swell at the 6 Oclock feed ramp area.

I even ran some pin loads worked up for another gun ( I worked my way up to this ! ) without the feed ramp bulge problem.

IMHO fairly newish brass should get along fine .

I would not push the number of reloads on 40 brass due to the amount of swelling and resizing possibly causing metal fatigue at the rear of the case, but I'm a paranoid kind of guy who has NEVER had a case separation in any firearm .

Just .02 from a new G35 owner.

I think I will just spend the $$$ I set aside for the new barrel on brass , and pitch it long before I am used to pitching my 45 brass ( only when cracked ).

This sucker shoots fine !

Travis F.

I to am unable to reload currently due to space restrictions so I have been buying MIWALL as well. I have shot about 5,000 rounds of .40 and .45 a piece through my glocks and have not had one problem with it. I think MiWall makes a good product and is definitely cheaper than regular factory.

Has there ever been a documented Kb! with a properly loaded jacketed bullet? It's my impression that it's always a result of an improperly loaded round or the extended use of lead bullets.

The repeated chambering and unchambering of a round will eventually make the bullet setback. It takes many, many times of chambering the same round in order for this to happen.

My 1st was a G23. After 2 shots and looking at the brass I ordered a KKM. No more bulged brass. I'm a brass scrounge if it's on the ground it goes in my pocket.

2nd is a G17--no problems w/the barrel. It doesn't get reloads, W World's WWB make me too lazy to reload.:)

9mm brass is about the stongest pistol brass made...you can shoot them in a non-ramped 1911 w/o problems...i dont think you could have the same trouble the 40 has with a 9mm.

ive shot over 40K rounds of major 40 through my KKM equipped Glock model 22 without one case failure period. I used Universal clays, titegroup, 231 and winchester super target with everything from 155 grain lead bullets to 200 grain jacketed and 220 grian precisions(very few of the 220s)

I used mainly range brass of american manufacture and load on a dillon square deal...Im sure the problem is with the factory barrel. though two powder charges in one case will blow just about anything up.

Several thousand rounds of .40 reloads using Rainier plated bullets through my Glock 27 and Glock 35. I have reloaded the same brass over and over and never have had a problem with it.

Most handgun makers recommend only factory ammo. Internet Hysteria has just blown the whole Kaboom thing out of proportion with the Glocks.

I have wasted the money before on aftermarket barrels for Glock, and I ended up getting over my paranoia and just staying with the factory barrels.

Edited by cmzneb

Guys, I decided to chime in on this one and with two relatively recent observations I made of Glock KB’s. I won’t speculate on “my third cousin saw a guy at the range” crap, I will only comment on KB’s I saw first hand…both were at relatively large matches and both were experienced shooters.

The first one was at the Smith and Wesson IDPA winter championship two years ago, I watched a shooter on our stage load his G34 mags at the table next to me with factory PMC ammo and half way through the first mag KB! This occurred in front of MANY witnesses at one of the largest IDPA events of the year.

The second KB was at the South Carolina state IDPA match a few months later. I saw a shooter in the squad in front of us (things were a bit backed up so our squad was waiting for the squad in front to finish shooting so we were just standing and watching)load the mags of his G17 (older gun no rail) with Winchester White Box and when he started shooting his second mag of ammo KB!

Since I work for a manufacturer, running up with my digital camera and taking photos is not something considered professional, plus Dave and Julie are friends of mine so I would never add insult to injury just as they would never if one of ours was to die on a stage.

I just wanted to post with my observations, but “I am sure it was the ammos fault” :rolleyes:

Not the fact that they(and I proved this with three different Glock models and empty primed brass) will fire out of battery. And the problem is made only worse by the addition of light recoil springs.

But as I said just my .02 and testing.

Everyone of the Glock KB's that I have seen or worked on has been the result of improperly loaded ammo. Either double charges, or in one case the guy was using longloaded ammo from a buddy's Para. It didn't fit so he just tapped the bullet a bit farther in with a mallet. You're going to see more KB's with Glocks than probably any other gun. Not because they are more fallible, there are more of them out there and they get more ammo through them than just about anything else. I would be surprised if less than a billion rounds of ammo go through Glock factory barrels each year. I know my departement goes trough a million of them.

For those folks that think factory ammo is infallible, guess again. I've seen everything from no primers, no flash hole, upside down primers, insensitive primers, no powder, double charges, upside down bullets, sideways bullets and bullets shoved halfway down into the case. I've also seen 9mm in 40 boxes, straight out of the factory case.

We recently had a large agency in the area go away from the Glock 21 because it had a dangerous barrel desing. 15 years they never had a problem and then two KB's out of the same lot of ammo. I have a feeling I know why. The ammunition, according to the pictures that I saw was all loaded to different length, substantially different. And this was quality factory ammo from a reputable source. Nothing is perfect.

It's always a good idea to inspect any ammo that goes into your gun. Don't worry about the Glock barrel. If it was actually an issue I would imagine that Glock would have changed the design, as they have dozens, if not more, times. What purpose would be served by using a known faulty barrel?

Everyone of the Glock KB's that I have seen or worked on has been the result of improperly loaded ammo. Either double charges, or in one case the guy was using longloaded ammo from a buddy's Para. It didn't fit so he just tapped the bullet a bit farther in with a mallet. You're going to see more KB's with Glocks than probably any other gun. Not because they are more fallible, there are more of them out there and they get more ammo through them than just about anything else.

+1

I can tell you that 9.4 grains of Titegroup under a 180 does bad things to a G22. Don't ask me how I know . . . :o