Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Educate Me On The Kaboom

bountyhunter

You cant tell me that more rounds go through Glocks in a year than everything else combined SIG, Beretta (including M9 in the sand box),Smith, H&K etc etc. and yet the ratio of KB's of Glocks to the combined every other gun is huge. Sure there is some bad ammo issues once in a while but if there was that much bad ammo around other guns would be KB'ing as well all the time...and they don't...once in a while but not at the rate Glocks do...all manufactures have a problem sometimes but we never see posts "educate me on SIG KB's or Smith KB's or Beretta KB's or H&K KB's...or do the ammo manufacturers sell all "the bad ammo" only to the stores Glock owners shop at.

Care to back up those assertions with some hard data?

Just pure speculation here, but I think that the Glock and the KB get the press because of the plastic gun syndrome started back in the day or because it's the evil black ugly gun of the gangstas. As for personal experience with a KB, I've had a KB with a 1911 due to shooting police supply reloads (won't ever make that mistake again). Should I now accuse all 1911s being prone to KB because I had one and I've heard of others?

Just out of curiosity, are we making a distinction between a Kaboom and a case separation? I have seen 5 case separations on .40 caliber high capacity 1911s. In all occasions, nothing on the gun was broken (only once did the mag come apart). In all cases, the gun was quickly cleaned and put back into service. I've also seen on one occasion a Sig P229 have a case separation. In this case, the extractor was blown out but no other parts were harmed. I've seen 3 Glock case separations. In all occasions, both the frame and the barrel came apart, the mag blew apart, and on one occasion the slide was trashed as well.

So do you consider the first example a Kaboom, where no parts where damaged and the guns remained in service? Do you consider the second case a Kaboom, where a minor part was damaged? How about when major components, slide, frame, barrel are ruined? This is not a rhetorical question, I am wondering if those that say all guns kaboom are drawing a distinction.

For the record, 3 Glock .40s, about 15K total, no KBs. :unsure:

Just out of curiosity, are we making a distinction between a Kaboom and a case separation? I have seen 5 case separations on .40 caliber high capacity 1911s. In all occasions, nothing on the gun was broken (only once did the mag come apart). In all cases, the gun was quickly cleaned and put back into service. I've also seen on one occasion a Sig P229 have a case separation. In this case, the extractor was blown out but no other parts were harmed. I've seen 3 Glock case separations. In all occasions, both the frame and the barrel came apart, the mag blew apart, and on one occasion the slide was trashed as well.

So do you consider the first example a Kaboom, where no parts where damaged and the guns remained in service? Do you consider the second case a Kaboom, where a minor part was damaged? How about when major components, slide, frame, barrel are ruined? This is not a rhetorical question, I am wondering if those that say all guns kaboom are drawing a distinction.

For the record, 3 Glock .40s, about 15K total, no KBs. :unsure:

Excellent point, I assumed a KB was anytime the round exploded in the chamber and blew back.... so, a case separation would be a KB.

If nothing was damaged, it's a KB with no collateral damage. From what I've seen, the Glocks with stock barrels usually are damaged significantly.

To be fair to Glock, documented KB's firing good quality NEW .40 ammo are about as rare as honest politicians. I believe it is primarily associated with reloads where the cases were weakened with use.

Care to back up those assertions with some hard data?

Just pure speculation here, but I think that the Glock and the KB get the press because of the plastic gun syndrome started back in the day or because it's the evil black ugly gun of the gangstas. As for personal experience with a KB, I've had a KB with a 1911 due to shooting police supply reloads (won't ever make that mistake again). Should I now accuse all 1911s being prone to KB because I had one and I've heard of others?

No, but I disagree that it is just Glock prejudice: the photos posted show they really blow apart a lot worse than 1911's do, for obvious reasons (steel is stronger than plastic).

I also shoot a Para 1640 which has as much "uncovered case area" at the feed ramp as the Glock does, but I suspect my hand will be in less danger if a KB goes off inside that tank.

I won't shoot PMC ammo. I have watched it come out of the box, go into the gun, then seperate the case. The same thing happend to another shooter a few weeks later...with PMC ammo. Likely a bad batch that made it to my neck of the woods?

...I have seen several " Alligator" KB's...

Ivan

Sorry, I don't follow? :huh:

Good I thought only I was confused :D

I think Ivan is making a reference to those KBs that blow the chamber and barrel and slide open so far that it resembles the open jaws of an aligator.

There may appropriately be different terms needed for the various failures being discussed, like detonation, case seperation, KaBoom, or whatever, but the one I just described is a Kah-BOOOM!

Edited by ima45dv8