Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Opinions On Pistol Choice

cep

I want to buy a single stack 1911 syle pistol in 9mm or 40 cal. and want to pay no more than $1500 retail. The array of pistols offered by Kimber alone is confusing to me. What would be a specific model that would have a light trigger pull, say 3 to 4lbs, be about the size of a Glock 23, with superior sights such as the Heinie staight 8, be light weight for daily carry and yet be accurate enough to enjoy shooting at the range. I would like to compete in the local combat shoots and would like to be competitive. I currently shoot a first generation G23 and would lilke to try a single action pistol with better sights and a much better trigger. Any specific model suggestons? Thank you.

...and have a gun that might not run.

The 1911 wasn't designed as a small gun. And, it wasn't designed around 9 or 40.

All that will work against you getting a gun that runs 100%.

You can get sight on your Glock that are just as good (identical) to sights on a 1911. And, you can get a trigger job that gets you pretty close too.

Learn the Glock trigger, my G23 has a 2lb trigger w/no take up and all 3 safetys work--cost $18 and it's 100% reliable.

For sights consider this for you Glock 23:

Here's what I did for sights on my G23 & G17:

Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel.

Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low and will fit any holster.

The 1911 wasn't designed as a small gun. And, it wasn't designed around 9 or 40.

You can get sight on your Glock that are just as good (identical) to sights on a 1911. And, you can get a trigger job that gets you pretty close too.

Actually the original function design (models 1900, 1902 etc.) was performed around the .38 caliber. J.M.B. "re-designed" (enlarged it to accomidate the .45 and added the Grip safety, enlarged ejection port, grip angle etc. but the "Function Design" has stayed the same. This is why the 1911 works in calibers from .38 - .50 with slight modifications between. A properly built 1911 in 9mm will work just as good as one in .45.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I agree with flex, you want a gun to bang every time you pull the trigger, especially when your carrying a firearm on your person. I would say stick with a glock for competitiion and learn the trigger, and have that as your carry gun, so your not changing anything from the gaming world to the real world. Alot of guns have different angles, and point different, so IMHO I would keep it all the same. the gun is lightweight, carries alot more rounds, and most importantly goes bang when you pull the trigger. And as far as being competitive, its not the Bow its the indian..

Oh...come on now. Let me get my boots on. smile.gif

To actually answer your question....

You would probably be looking at a Pro Carry. I am not sure if Kimber makes this in 9mm and 40 though. You are describing what is basically known as the "Commander size", call up a good gun shop, or a bunch of manufacturers and ask about their models in that size. I like Kimber a lot, but Springfield, STI, Les Baer, Wilson, Smith and a host of others all make guns that should fit your preferences and budget. Keep in mind that while some people shoot these size guns in competition, it isnt ideal. The small and lightweight means more recoil, whether it is managable to you or not is something only you can decide.

Here are some choice to consider other than a 1911

H&K USP Compact in 40

S&W or Walther P99

any of the glock models

Sig 229 or 228

All are great guns with a very good reputation for working.

But if you are wanting a 1911, which is what I prefer,

I would find a good used Colt or Springfield and send it to Ted Yost

for a 1* package

check out www.louderthanwords.us

I want to buy a single stack 1911 syle pistol in 9mm or 40 cal. and want to pay no more than $1500 retail. The array of pistols offered by Kimber alone is confusing to me. What would be a specific model that would have a light trigger pull, say 3 to 4lbs, be about the size of a Glock 23, with superior sights such as the Heinie staight 8, be light weight for daily carry and yet be accurate enough to enjoy shooting at the range. I would like to compete in the local combat shoots and would like to be competitive. I currently shoot a first generation G23 and would lilke to try a single action pistol with better sights and a much better trigger. Any specific model suggestons? Thank you.

I think you have some conflicting priorities. While you can get an accurate SA gun that is light, small and chambers the round of your choice, you will not be truly competitive against the full size guns shot by most USPSA and IDPA shooters. There are some superb shooters who win local matches with their subcompact guns but they are the exception and not the norm. It's also likely that they will resort to a full size gun when there are money and prizes to be won.

My suggestion is keep the G23 for social situations. Check out G34/G35, XD Tactical, CZ75/85 and any of the guns mentioned by these posters and see what fits best in your hand. If you can borrow or rent a few, try them out. But get it in a full size version for competition.

I think you have some conflicting priorities. While you can get an accurate SA gun that is light, small and chambers the round of your choice, you will not be truly competitive against the full size guns shot by most USPSA and IDPA shooters. There are some superb shooters who win local matches with their subcompact guns but they are the exception and not the norm. It's also likely that they will resort to a full size gun when there are money and prizes to be won.

My suggestion is keep the G23 for social situations. Check out G34/G35, XD Tactical, CZ75/85 and any of the guns mentioned by these posters and see what fits best in your hand. If you can borrow or rent a few, try them out. But get it in a full size version for competition.

+1

Another thought, some badazzes say you should shoot what you carry, I tend to disagree. If it has a trigger and sights and you know how to shoot, you can shoot anything. I like to carry a Keltec .380, because it is small and not a pain in the azz to carry anywhere (1st rule of a gunfight, bring a gun) and I generally a have a bigger gun nearby anyways. Second, I wouldn't have a carry gun that has a manual safety, although I carried a 1911 for a long time, I like draw and shoot, just in case someone other than myself had to use it.

There are a lot of great 1911's out there and they are great for competition, you might consider a .40 just because you could shoot it major, you could always download for minor. Good luck!

+1 on all of the L2S post.

I don't leave home without it!

post-2898-1137615425_thumb.jpg

As to the original question. IF you really want what you say you want - and not something some else wants you to use...

For the $1,500.00 budget you have you can buy a Springfield Mil Spec, send it to Benny Hill or any # of gunsmiths and have it modified and improved for IDPA CDP (or USPSA Single Stack) competition, buy 5 good mags and have enough $$ left for a good quality legal holster and mag pouches. You could use it in both of the areas I mentioned and be limited only by your ability.

Another thought, some badazzes say you should shoot what you carry, I tend to disagree. If it has a trigger and sights and you know how to shoot, you can shoot anything. I like to carry a Keltec .380, because it is small and not a pain in the azz to carry anywhere (1st rule of a gunfight, bring a gun) and I generally a have a bigger gun nearby anyways. Second, I wouldn't have a carry gun that has a manual safety, although I carried a 1911 for a long time, I like draw and shoot, just in case someone other than myself had to use it.

There are a lot of great 1911's out there and they are great for competition, you might consider a .40 just because you could shoot it major, you could always download for minor. Good luck!

I truly am concerned about the manual safety. I fear that I would forget to wipe down the safety in a real life confrontation. I actually saw a jewelry store holdup video on cable tv where a robber came in with a revolver and started shooting the owner. The owner drew his pistol but forgot to wipe down the safety and was shot 6 times. The robber left the store, then returned to shoot him in the head. He was out of bullets and the jeweler lived. I am not sure now, how many of the 6 shots actuallly struck the victime. At any rate , THAT particular jeweler would have been much better off with a revolver or Glock than whatever complilcated(for him) pistol he had.

All I have really ever shot has been revolvers and my G23. It is only recently that I got the bug to shoot better and compete. Before, I was into other pastimes. Now, I have learned to truly enjoy shooting, reading about shooting and improving. Before, I read a couple of excellent books and implemented the instruction, I was content with having all of the bullets somewhere in the target. Now, I am dissapointed if bullets are outside the center ring or X. BTW, in a sting of 5 there is generally a flyer. But, I shoot way better than I ever thought I could. I doubt, I will ever be very good , or a serious competitor but I want to enjoy the accomplishment of hitting what I am aiming at most of the time. Simple goal for a simple guy without much natural talent or the excellent eyesight of the true marksman.

If, I did not have this lingering doubt I would like to get the S& W PD model with the crimson trace laser. I figure if I am attacked by armed criminals., I will need everything in my favor and a huge dose of luck to survive. I have seen some real life videos (as every one has) and a real assault by criminals has too be one of life's most serious challenges for a non violent, average person, that I consider myself to be. I cannot shoot anywhere near as well as Enos, Leatham et al. Never will either.

It might be a better idea to get a less expensive gun (I vote for a CZ-75/85 due to my familiarity with it), have a good trigger job done on it and get new sights, and use the rest of the budget on a good self-defense shooting course and ammo for it.

I agree that you should get a gun designed to be a 9x19 or .40 S&W. It might even be a better idea (and I can't describe how much it pains me to say this) to keep the Glunk, get the Heinies made for it, get a decent (not telekinetic) trigger job, and spend even more money on training.