Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Para Sx1640j Or Sti Edge?

jpfishmaster

I faced a similar question a couple of years ago when I built my limited guns. I talked to my friends and my gunsmith. The deciding factor for me was the gunsmith saying that he liked to build on the STI frame. I now have two STI's and I love them. But I have been handed my hat many times by several of my Para shooting friends.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Para p14 ltd that I am very happy with it is all orriginal ecept for springs I have replaced and the addition of a hiviz front site. I know it's not a 40 but I have been happy with the platform. I have shot over 20,000 rounds through this gun with only a few spring related problems.

To be fair I have never had the opertunity to shoot an Sti. Perhaps my opinion would change.

My para does have the old style extractor. I have no expierience with the new ones.

My $.02 worth

A.M.C.

I have both.

The Para P-16 (old one) is out of spec and breaking barrel links. Didn't know this until Derek (millenium custom) started to work on it.

The STI is much better and no problems. Easy to find mags for them too.

Prefer the STI.

barry B)

Over 200 competitors at last years USPSA nationals shot STI Frames. There is a reason for this. I picked up one used a few years ago and have put many thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I swithed back to a p16 for a few weeks and it just does not compare to an STI Edge. They work, shoot, are reliable and they win !

Good Luck !

Remember that the magazine issue is not an issue. A Para mag release can be modified for a small amount by most gunsmiths to let your Para accept STI/SV mags.

Over 200 competitors at nationals shot polymer STI type frames, but the guy that beat every one of them had a steel frame Springfield (same frame configuration as Para, though it is forged.)

I think the best thing is to handle examples of both and then make your decision. I like steel frames because of the overall balance and solid feel. Most indoor ranges probably have a Para laying around that you can rent and shoot. Then go to a local USPSA match and ask around, I bet you could find someone that would let you shoot their STI to get a feel for it.

Then buy one and shoot it into a pile of shavings. The more you shoot either you will start to create individual preferences. I shot a STI Executive for my first year and decided I hated plastic frames. Bought a Springfield Hi-cap and had it built into a limited gun. Best decision I ever made.

Just my $.02

I have no experience with the P16, however I have a P14-45 which I was setting up for Lim 10.

After shooting it a while, I decided I was not comfortable with the grip.

It's very wide and caused a problem for me in being able to access the mag button with my trigger finger (I'm a lefty).

I decided to replace it with an Edge and I have no regrets.

The Edge feels better, handles well and runs better.

IMHO.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Over 200 competitors at nationals shot polymer STI type frames, but the guy that beat every one of them had a steel frame Springfield (same frame configuration as Para, though it is forged.)

He can win shooting any gun he wants, he just gets paid to shoot the one he does ;) I prefer steel framed guns also, but mags are important. I have a Caspian that is waiting on good mags. If you do go with a Para or Springfield using the STI/SV mags will save some headaches.

If you bought both I think you would still be shooting the STI long after the Para had lost its luster and gone away. Usual deal is someone buys a Para and by the time they have it up to the level they are happy with they have more in it that the STI cost to start with. Then they sell it at a hell of a loss and buy a STI.-----Larry

Is money an issue? if so you can put toegther a Para P16 with magwell, FO sight, mags and base pads for about 1/2 the price of an STI.

Money not an issue? go for the STI because you'll end up there anyway!

I agree, the amount of money you have to invest makes a big difference.

If you are interested in the best limited blaster for the money and you have several thou to spend then I think you should consider a custom builder. There are countless photos and reviews here from owners of most of the well know builders and even some lesser known ones that could be closer to you. The problem with that is I doubt that anyone could have you a finished gun in time for this Springs shooting.

The other option that I would highly recommend is to search for a used blaster. With a small amount of patience you could most likely find a great deal on a slightly used limited gun that already runs 100% and will have you runnin' and gunnin' in no time. Maybe even set-up with some tuned mags. Smokin' deals are not uncommon at all and you could have everything for about the price of a new blaster alone! S_I's with mags tuned and ready to go can be found for about $1500 to $2000 and I've seen P16-40's with well over $1000 in visible parts go for $600 to $900. The thought of spending that much for a gun that isn't brand new and pristine might sound unfathomable, but next time you are at a match look at the blasters that the top dogs are shooting. Most of them will probably look like they drug it behind the car on the way there! Competition guns get ugly and they certainly do break. Quality well fitted parts last longer and gun bling's never won a stage...

Good luck and have fun!!!