Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best wet tumbler ?

23 hours ago, ReconNav said:

Maybe you could coat the metal blades with brush on bed liner?

I have the paddles at a Line X place right now, but just got called the other day telling me they can't find them. soooo might have to figure out another solution to the problem. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

I have the paddles at a Line X place right now, but just got called the other day telling me they can't find them. soooo might have to figure out another solution to the problem. 

I’m thinking some outfit needs their ass kicked!!

7 hours ago, slavex said:

That sucks.  Now I feel bad for suggesting it.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, 4n2t0 said:

LMAO!!!

liquid_gallon_black_old_1000x1000_75fa1af0-1117-4242-a281-296beaed41b9.thumb.webp.1fd083f018021a9d9c129acc1d339fde.webp

Plasti Dip would be similar, as would Liquid Rubber; there are a host of others.  For something a bit tougher, you could use Amazing Goop (they make a marine version) to glue sheet rubber in place.

4 hours ago, ReconNav said:

That sucks.  Now I feel bad for suggesting it.

I actually dropped them off some time ago lol, had been waiting for the call to do so. Which makes them losing them even more frustrating. We were waiting for a chance to throw them in with a big job, as they are very very tight with what they allow to be sprayed (manager is, um, a dick). 

• 1 month later...

Ive been on a BiggDawg for almost 10 years and if I had to do it again I would make one to match since hes not selling anymore.

I run 1-1/2-2 gallons of brass  75 minutes with brassjuice. dump it over a screen on a bucket run another 1-2 gal for 2 hours while the first set is in dehydrators. Swap it 1 more time and run the 3rd set 2 hours as well.

Get through a 5 gal bucket this way. I dont think id enjoy doubling or tripling the changes.

I used an electric concrete mixer from Harbor Freight for 6+ years with zero issues. I would wash about 3500-4000 pieces of 9mm brass for about 30 minutes and then rinse.

Prior to the concrete mixer I used (and now have gone back to using) my Rebel 17. 

Sold the concrete mixer when my shooting reduced, therefore my reloading reduced.  A buddy of mine has a Kobalt rubber (may be plastic) drum concrete mixer he bought at Lowe’s many years ago and still uses it today.  

Edited by Sigarmsp226

3 hours ago, bun said:

I use brass juice to wet tumble without the pins

This is what I found works best as well. 

Wet FART for me.  I use the pins with some car wash with carnauba wax in it.  Bought some of the Southern Shine "chip" style media to use on my next batch.  Still need to buy and try the Brass Juice... Several shooter friends of mine use it and are happy customers.... 

I use a FART al lthe way up to Cheytac size brass. I only use a tiny amount of Citric Acid powder and a couple drops of detergent. I now use no pins and its almost as good as pins. I use hot water and tumble 90 minutes. No pins I get a bit more smooth necks from some carbon and nearly clean primer pockets. Pins are more perfect but between neck peeing risk on rifle brass and the separation job Im running batches without now.

• 1 month later...

Cement mixer.. I run (3) Kobalts at a time. 

Wet wash in dawn/lemishine as a pre-wash

drain water, refill, run again, and then drain dirty water once more

refill, touch of brass juice, and run

drain, rinse, refill, run, and repeat

drain all water, fill with corn cob, and run..

best wet washed, dried/polished in corn cob brass i can come up with, without going to a Giant Tumbling, heated corn cob commercial unit. 

I have (6) FARTs if i can run mixers outside due to rain or whatever else if absolutely necessary. 

Also, no need to coat the cement mixer blades... 3 mixers, over 2 years, guessing I've probably washed close to 2 Million pieces of brass, and I've never had an issue with the blades "destroying" brass.. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, 99mpower said:

Also, no need to coat the cement mixer blades... 3 mixers, over 2 years, guessing I've probably washed close to 2 Million pieces of brass, and I've never had an issue with the blades "destroying" brass.. 

I've run about 200k through my mixer since getting the blades coated, so far the coating is still in place although I don't think it will be for much longer. 

Was it necessary? Honestly I don't know. I've heard from people that have done similar or replaced the blades with delrin paddles or something, and from those who've done nothing, with mixed results. In my case I've drastically shortened the time in the mixer over my previous attempts when I got the sharp burr on the mouth of the case, perhaps that's all I needed to do? 

On 9/14/2024 at 5:42 AM, slavex said:

I've run about 200k through my mixer since getting the blades coated, so far the coating is still in place although I don't think it will be for much longer. 

Was it necessary? Honestly I don't know. I've heard from people that have done similar or replaced the blades with delrin paddles or something, and from those who've done nothing, with mixed results. In my case I've drastically shortened the time in the mixer over my previous attempts when I got the sharp burr on the mouth of the case, perhaps that's all I needed to do? 

Easiest would be re coating. Bigg dawg used pvc pipe quartered  or eigthed length wise and glued/bolted internally to agitate. but the cement  mixers have spiral blades and barrels are not cylindrical so thats probably no help

I ran a Harbor Freight electric mixer for three years with NO coating on the factory metal blades and the factory blades did not cause any damage to any brass I tumbled and cleaned. I did use SS pins in all applications and tumbled various pistol and rifle brass. Most of what I tumbled was 9mm or 223/5.56.  I did run the drum with as much water as it would hold when running at the slightly angled position.

I’ve used a Harbor Freight mixer for about 4 years. The larger model. I think 3 1/4 cf. No coating but I did cut some lengths of 3/4” heater hose and slit it lengthwise to cover the edges of the ribs and secured with heavy duty tie wraps. Has held up very well and no issues with brass.