Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best wet tumbler ?

The FART is the common recommendation. I bought a Rebel 17 before the FART was a thing and it's held up well. I think it's approaching 10 at this point and I just changed out the drive belt for the first time. Still going!

I took it apart and all the gears were half gone. Honestly my kids have heavier gears in their toys. I'm going to see what RC  says about it not really impressed with the unit overall. Drum cap is sensitive to over tightening. in-between the Frankfort and the extreme 17 at this point 

5 hours ago, PhotoRecon said:

9+ years of heavy use on my Rebel 17. Still using original parts.

I ordered one today. I like the fact that replacement parts are actually a real thing. 

I just did a batch of 5000 in a dollar store bin with a pressure washer. Spotless after an overnight soak and a few minutes of agitation with the pressure washer. I wouldn't go out and purchase a pressure washer to clean brass lol but if you already have one it works great.

I had the FART, but it was REALLY loud and tended to leak. I'm using a Rebel 17 now, and am very happy with it, just wish it were bigger. Once I get out of Cali, I'll probably just switch to a Harbor Freight cement mixer to minimize my brass cleaning time. Cleaning brass sucks.

10 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

I had the FART, but it was REALLY loud

It does make a racket.  We are fortunate to have a house that puts the tumbler at the opposite end of the house and a story and a half down from the bedroom, I set the timer when I go to bed.  At first I was reluctant to leave it stagnant for most of the night after it shuts off, thinking it might leave tarnishes.  But I let it run for another minute or two in the morning and then dump it out and the cases look great. 

Edited by mmc45414

I had some issues with the FART.  Kinda

I would heat up the used Brass Juice mix and sometimes I forgot and it went in the tumbler HOT.  This stretched out the seals and they don't sell new ones (anymore).  Turns out just cutting the excess does the trick. (it's hard as %%%% to put the lid on with a oversize seal)

And one day I forgot about it and it cooled down and collapsed the tub.  So I bought a spare FART and used the new tub.  Then years later I found the stashed collapsed tub and it went back to it's original shape!

23 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Then years later I found the stashed collapsed tub and it went back to it's original shape!

I just backed our new vehicle into a pole and the trick of pouring boiling water on the plastic bumper works.  I am glad I boiled two pots full, because the first one didn't budge it, but the second one popped it right into shape! 

• 2 weeks later...

The FART has worked for me, hard, since it first came on the market. I am transitioning to a cement mixer this year as well, so long as my trial of having the metal paddles rubber coated works. It's a plastic drum but the metal paddles would cause a burr on the mouths of my 9mm brass after only 30 minutes. Hoping the rubber coating stops this. 

I've been using the FART for a few years myself and am satisfied with it.  I have the larger one with the rubber lined drum and a little Vaseline on the rubber gaskets now an then and it never leaks. 

I prefer using brass juice and tumble 1000 +/- at a time for 1 1/2 hour and get perfectly clean brass.

@mmc45414 being a non buildy type I haven't come up with a solution that will agitate the contents just right, that can attach to the drum. I tried some wood ribs inside and they just got eaten by the brass. Nothing but drum the brass just floats as the drum turns. Were I more handy at that kind of stuff I am sure there would be a solution. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:31 PM, slavex said:

@mmc45414 being a non buildy type I haven't come up with a solution that will agitate the contents just right, that can attach to the drum. I tried some wood ribs inside and they just got eaten by the brass. Nothing but drum the brass just floats as the drum turns. Were I more handy at that kind of stuff I am sure there would be a solution. 

Yeah, needs to be soft enough not to dent the brass and pliable enough to not get eaten by the brass...