Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Glock for CO/LO in 2024?

uhmeebuh

Hi all -

I’m a middling A class shooter who shoots mostly LO with a steel 2011.  I’ve liked the challenge of the lighter polymer striker guns and wanted to stick with Glock as a G26 is my main CCW.  

So, I wanted some advice from Glock team about what the consensus is on the optimal for a CO/LO Glock with the current roster available to us.  Unfortunately, I don’t have access to these to test or compare side by side.  

- G34 MOS - don’t need the long slide with a dot, may be too slow of a slide but shoots soft so less dot movement

- G47 MOS - shorter recoil spring and heavy-ish slide may not be ideal…or maybe the goldilocks 
- G17 milled for an optic - longer recoil system and lighter slide might be the best fit but no MOS option anymore (can’t get through GSSF from any of my local dealers). 

- G45 MOS - slight loss of velocity to meet PF but faster slide may be great

I can train around any of it but wanted to make the right choice to start.  

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I’d go with a milled 17. Dot will be a little lower which is ideal. I shot a couple of 34s for years and I think that was a mistake. 

Thanks for the feedback - can you share a bit more on what the mistake was with the 34?  

17 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

Thanks for the feedback - can you share a bit more on what the mistake was with the 34?  

The only advantage to the 34 is longer sight radius - pretty much negated with a dot

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, warpspeed said:

The only advantage to the 34 is longer sight radius - pretty much negated with a dot

I’m finding I like the fast slides so I’m leaning away from the 34.  Which leaves the 17/47 or 45 - any preference in return to zero or recoil impulse?

Edited by uhmeebuh

When I was still shooting a Glock in CO/LO I bought an aftermarket slide for my G17 and had it milled for a Vortex Venom. This way I still had the OEM slide intact.  It's been a while since I shot that gun in competition but I liked it.

I can hardly perceive the slower slide on 34 vs 17, but that just me. Have one of each but 34 has been the main gun. In training there is no magic in either one. 

I do find it Intereting seeing Ben Stoeger with the 34’s.  The conversation of shorter slide to pair with optics is very popular.

9 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I’m finding I like the fast slides so I’m leaning away from the 34.  Which leaves the 17/47 or 45 - any preference in return to zero or recoil impulse?

Living in CA, the 45 is not available to us so I didn't think about it but that would be an interesting choice.

34 slide is the same weight as the 17 slide, that's what the cutout is for. If you think the slide moves slower it's an illusion / confirmation bias.

34's longer barrel gives you more velocity, worth 1 or 2 tenths of a grain of a fast powder. I suppose it's worth nothing if you shoot factory.

I would get a 34 mostly because I've had one for 20 years and am very accustomed to it, and I see no advantages to a 17 other than 50-ish bucks of sticker price.

I switch from 320 legion to glock for CO.  I just finished building up my 34.   I can’t say noticed a lot of difference between the 34 and 17 until I started adding stuff like a weighted light.   If I were doing it over, I might have just done a 17.   

16 hours ago, MoNsTeR said:

34 slide is the same weight as the 17 slide, that's what the cutout is for. If you think the slide moves slower it's an illusion / confirmation bias.

Gen 5 34s don't have the cut out. 

My vote would be G34.  The weight difference between Gen4 and Gen5 is reportedly 0.28oz.  

Maybe some folks are finely tuned machines, but I'm not even going notice the weight difference.

The difference is the same as one single 124gr bullet. 

Not a loaded round, just a bullet alone.  Not enough to even notice.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:28 PM, MoNsTeR said:

34's longer barrel gives you more velocity, worth 1 or 2 tenths of a grain of a fast powder. I suppose it's worth nothing if you shoot factory.

I would get a 34 mostly because I've had one for 20 years and am very accustomed to it, and I see no advantages to a 17 other than 50-ish bucks of sticker price.

11 hours ago, robchavous said:

Gen 5 34s don't have the cut out. 

gen 5 had material removed under the MOS plate and elsewhere around the inside of slide. You can see comparing them or vs a g17. 

34 weights .55oz more than 17. Bare slides, gen 5. Based on my own measurements. 

g34 weighs more all said and done with extra barrel length. 

as mentioned previously, they are very similar to me. Nothing that’s going to make or break the scores. 

2 hours ago, DeepFried said:

gen 5 had material removed under the MOS plate and elsewhere around the inside of slide. You can see comparing them or vs a g17. 

34 weights .55oz more than 17. Bare slides, gen 5. Based on my own measurements. 

g34 weighs more all said and done with extra barrel length. 

as mentioned previously, they are very similar to me. Nothing that’s going to make or break the scores. 

It all comes down to preference.  Is it wildly different no, I'd likely shoot about the same with either.  I've always thought 5" 9mm felt a little sluggish, but when Prod was life I just dealt with it.  Now with dot guns the slightly shorter ones seem to work better for me.  Glock 17, 4.7" Lockwood 320, 4.25" Prodigy.   

YMMV

I shot a g34 in Production for many years. When I switched to CO a couple years ago, the 34 just didn’t feel right anymore with a dot on it. Then, after shearing screws twice with the MOS plates, I switched to a regular g17 that I had milled for an SRO. That combo has worked great ever since. 

It just feels right when I shoot it. 

Holosun makes a RDS that fits directly on the Gen 5 MOS slide, no adapter plate needed. It's their solar powered model. I have a G17.5 with it and like it but I'm not shooting any games these days.

I have two 34's, 17 and a 47.  I shoot the 34's mostly - it's all preference.  There is no "better".  I really like the feel of the 47 too and as soon as I get another Holosun 507 Comp for it, i'll give it a go at a match.

I wrote a very long post up on one of the other CO threads about Triggers, mags, optics you might find interesting. 😀

On 3/30/2024 at 11:48 AM, lgh said:

Holosun makes a RDS that fits directly on the Gen 5 MOS slide, no adapter plate needed. It's their solar powered model. I have a G17.5 with it and like it but I'm not shooting any games these days.

That is an intriguing optic, and I looked at it briefly, but I prefer my SRO's for competition guns.

I'd like it enough to put on a house gun if it had a replaceable battery, I can't cozy up to the idea that it will work after sitting in a dark safe for a year or two, or three...

20 hours ago, Cuz said:

I can't cozy up to the idea that it will work after sitting in a dark safe for a year or two, or three...

I know what you mean. In sunlight it will apparently charge faster than it can be drained but if it sits in the dark and then you bring it out in the dark ... could be dead. I take the slide off and let the unit sit outside every Sunday while I listen to Gun Talk. Holosun also makes a model that has solar + a battery. I have that one as well.

For MOS Glocks I like the Forward Control Designs MOS adapter plates. Mine was a snug fit to the slide and has not given me any issues through ~7000 rounds of 9mm. The stock MOS plates that came with my gun were so warped you could see the bend with the naked eye before even trying to install them