Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good direct milling for RMR footprints?

2 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

No recoil posts would be a no for me

Agreed. Will break screws off without posts. Have had to drill out broken screws and add pins  for several people 

As long as the abutments fore and aft are close to the sight (practically touching), that'll make up for the lack of posts, but posts are the preferred way for me also.

1 hour ago, togmaster said:

Sure as a repair.  But that's not needed if the slide was cut properly in the first place.

Well, it's not like he can put the material back and start over.

Interesting. AR15 said the cut was fine/average but might not be the best, 1911addicts has mixed opinions

seems like this was a big time no for yall 

and yeah it is a DWX

4 hours ago, togmaster said:

Sure as a repair.  But that's not needed if the slide was cut properly in the first place.

If all you have is a manual mill it's what you have to do. I have access to cnc mills so I always mill the posts.

31 minutes ago, barry said:

If all you have is a manual mill it's what you have to do. I have access to cnc mills so I always mill the posts.

Question above sorry forgot to quote you

A true gunsmith with a mill can do it easily.  Talk to fellow shooters in your area. Make sure the smith has done before, you don't want to be the experiment. 

Good luck.

8 minutes ago, barry said:

A true gunsmith with a mill can do it easily.  Talk to fellow shooters in your area. Make sure the smith has done before, you don't want to be the experiment. 

Good luck.

The experiment again.

Run it and see how it works, I've seen a few different ways to mount optics whit success. If the screwa do break, drill them and then secure the optic with a couple of pins as barry mentioned above. Go shoot and have fun.

if you are set on your optic, and it doesnt need to be removed to replace the battery, squirt some red loc-tite down and screw the optic on. loc-tite bonds to more than screws!

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

Run it and see how it works, I've seen a few different ways to mount optics whit success. If the screwa do break, drill them and then secure the optic with a couple of pins as barry mentioned above. Go shoot and have fun.

I just don’t want to get smacked in the face lol

1 hour ago, lefty o said:

if you are set on your optic, and it doesnt need to be removed to replace the battery, squirt some red loc-tite down and screw the optic on. loc-tite bonds to more than screws!

The screws would still fracture, no?

3 hours ago, lefty o said:

That would be a bad idea. The screws would still shear and it would be almost impossible to remove what's left of them without damaging the slide.

it essentially would bond the optic to the slide, but you could still remove. it just wouldnt be easy as you would have to clean up the dried loc-tite afterwards. do not red loc-tite the screws, no one is advocating that.

6 minutes ago, shred said:

Yeah, gluing the sight down can work.  Not the best option but an option.

its for sure not the first choice, but if you need to make it work, it'll git 'er done.

If using  a manual mill and trying to do one from scratch, a rotary table should be able to facilitate the features... Vibration would be a bitch, but a boring bar could probably also do them.... Or machine a square, and hand file it. 

If using a manual mill... Drill holes where pins would go... Then either thread holes and screw in pins or press fit pins.. In either case use good loctite.

Edited by caspian guy