Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think, enough crimp for my revolver? Same diameter above and below the crimp. .

ysrracer

5 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Why don't you use a tapered crimp, with a bullet without a crimp grove?

It's a .358 bullet in a 9mm case. I'm using 9mm dies so I'm guessing it's a taper crimp.

looks a bit severe, are you cutting through the coating ? Are you still having bullet creep problems ? Think you mentioned Bayou bullets ? I am using a 9mm taper crimp on my 38 short colt. with Bayou 147's without issue..
Maybe go to a 9mm FCD last station ?

I'll measure my taper crimp, but I know I'm not cutting into bullets.

I'm using bayou/Hoosier 160's (same mold as far as I can tell) that are .358 in starline 38 short colt brass.

A 38 resizer;  a 38 s&w bell with just opening  enough to not cut the coating;  a 38 s&w seater (1.20 oal) with the crimp back completely out, and 9 mm fcd with the stem just touching the bullet.  This seems to iron out the bell, give good case mouth tension and not deform the bullet.

I've done some wildcatting using 38 Super data and oal ( the case capacity was actually slightly more in the 38 short colt case than the 38 super) to hit major in short cases.  It worked, and the pressure was within specs for 357.  At an oal of 1.275 with the 160 I have half the amount of case purchase: at 1050 fps I have never had bullet creep, even without a comp.

If your load works, I'd leave it alone, but that crimp seems excessive to me.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

If its accurate its totally fine.  

A luminary i was brought into shooting sports by, the rule was crimp until it tumbles then back off an 1/8th.   He came to this shooting thousands of rounds of berrys 158's painstakingly in batches searching for the best process.

He did very well at bianchi.

My guess is the crimp will be a bit under .370.  Looks good as long as it's accurate don't worry.  It would even shoot in a semi-auto, accuracy may or may not be affected just depends on the gun.

I’ll almost bet you’re getting brass spring back. Your die is crimping hard enough to crease the bullet but the brass springs back once’s it’s out of the die. That’s the reason for the same measurement. In your pic I can definitely see the taper in the bullet. Try measuring it just for giggles. But if it works, go for it. 

19 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Anyone have a load for 38 short colt using 231 and a 158 grain lead bullet for  shooting USPSA?

Axe, and yee shall retrieve:

Name: .38 Short Colt: 158gr Berry's RN: 231 3.7gr: OAL 1.20
Notes: S&W 627 5"
Shots: 11
Average: 777 ft/s
SD: 25 ft/s
Min: 736 ft/s
Max: 817 ft/s
Spread: 81 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 122
Power Factor Low: 116
Power Factor High: 129
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 57 F
Bullet Weight: 158
Powder: 231 3.7gr
Bullet: Berry's 158gr RN
C.O.A.L.: 1.20
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline

I've been shooting 357 diameter coated bullets in my 929. The bullets were pulling under recoil, so I switched to using a Lee 38 colt roll crimp die. It doesn't take too much roll crimp to keep them from pulling, mine look about like yours.

52 minutes ago, PatJones said:

I've been shooting 357 diameter coated bullets in my 929. The bullets were pulling under recoil, so I switched to using a Lee 38 colt roll crimp die. It doesn't take too much roll crimp to keep them from pulling, mine look about like yours.

Cool, thanks