Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meeting Agenda

BadShot

I hate to be that guy, but I think this is a manufacturer trying to make a market. On social media I spotted a S&W “zazzle reel” touting their new models. One was a revolver with an optic. It looks very much like the 9mm R8 that JM used on the plate rack record but with the optic probably factory installed. I’m putting my tin foil hat back on now.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, testosterone said:

Board is changing already.  2 years ago this proposition simply would have passed on suggestion.

Distinguished GM would also have passed already.   

Ben Berry causing discussion to pump breaks and stop changing things without member discussion is good(even tho he is the prod 15 proponent which is dumb).

Not to derail this thread...

100% 

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

I hate to be that guy, but I think this is a manufacturer trying to make a market. On social media I spotted a S&W “zazzle reel” touting their new models. One was a revolver with an optic. It looks very much like the 9mm R8 that JM used on the plate rack record but with the optic probably factory installed. I’m putting my tin foil hat back on now.

Its not impossible.   Smith did not have this gun at SHOT last week though...

In the meeting a8 russ said he had been talking to revolver shooters in his area and they were in favor.   The last rev shooters i am aware of in a8 are dave and james and i have my doubts that they are in favor of this.  I haven't talked to dave in a minute and owe him a call anyways...

Ruger didnt have any of the 8 shots either unless i missed them on the row,  it is on good authority production is being setup to produce them again though.

22 minutes ago, testosterone said:

Its not impossible.   Smith did not have this gun at SHOT last week though...

In the meeting a8 russ said he had been talking to revolver shooters in his area and they were in favor.   The last rev shooters i am aware of in a8 are dave and james and i have my doubts that they are in favor of this.  I haven't talked to dave in a minute and owe him a call anyways...

Ruger didnt have any of the 8 shots either unless i missed them on the row,  it is on good authority production is being setup to produce them again though.

I rarely see Dave or James shooting revolver. Mostly you'll see Dave in L10 and James in SS. When shooting IDPA they're in CDP and ESP. 

There are other revolver shooters I stumble across, probably 3-5 of them ranging from A class to C class. I shot revolver like 7-8 years ago now. 

28 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I rarely see Dave or James shooting revolver. Mostly you'll see Dave in L10 and James in SS. When shooting IDPA they're in CDP and ESP. 

There are other revolver shooters I stumble across, probably 3-5 of them ranging from A class to C class. I shot revolver like 7-8 years ago now. 

Right, they are in those divisions because there are enough reg's to be recognized.  One of them would show up with a revolver if enough other people did, guaranteed...

33 minutes ago, testosterone said:

Right, they are in those divisions because there are enough reg's to be recognized.  One of them would show up with a revolver if enough other people did, guaranteed...

Maybe, L10 is rarely recognized though. I get not wanting to shoot against each other in SS I guess. 

Ruger needs to just get on the band wagon and build a 2011 already. Then see if they'll jump into some real divisions. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

3 hours ago, MWP said:

Where’s this happening? 

Did it once here at the mcpsl December monthly matches.  Home of the free state uspsa championship, have been the 4th most populated division for 3 years had 14 revolvers in 2023 including cliff Walsh shooting major.

We listed a revolver category, 2 of us shot open division/revolver category and 4 shot revolver division/revolver category.  Most revolvers at our monthly match for a while. 

4 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Taurus has an optic mounted revolver,, AND seems to be sponsoring revolver matches for some reason.. Although its pretty obvious whoever their marketing person is, or who ever isnt listening  to said marketing person is pretty   clue less.   Still nothing suitable for any revolver game,, their optic revolver is basically a smaller carry gun.. 6 shot 3"..
I would think they need to offer their 8 shot cut for moons, and with an without porting, and offer an optic mount for that.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:
I would think they need to offer their 8 shot cut for moons, and with a without porting, and offer an optic mount for that.

Taurus is working on releasing exactly that. I’m surprised Caleb didn’t have it out for Shot last week. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Ruger needs to just get on the band wagon and build a 2011 already. Then see if they'll jump into some real divisions. 

At the Handgun Nationals dinner, Dave said that he shoots L10 because he can do it with a single-stack Ruger with a 10-round magazine, and that he doesn't want to shoot Limited if his only option is a custom gun with 'Ruger' stenciled on the side.

38 minutes ago, MWP said:

Taurus is working on releasing exactly that. I’m surprised Caleb didn’t have it out for Shot last week. 

If Taurus had one in about 2018, I probably would have started in revolver a year or two earlier than I did.

4 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

At the Handgun Nationals dinner, Dave said that he shoots L10 because he can do it with a single-stack Ruger with a 10-round magazine, and that he doesn't want to shoot Limited if his only option is a custom gun with 'Ruger' stenciled on the side.

He could still shoot SS, but like I said I get him and James not going head to head in the same division. 

I still think they should make a 2011. And not a fake Ruger 2011, like Ruger should just make one. I asked Dave if they were going to recently but his non-answer was hard to read. It was either a "They are but I can't say they are" or "I told them that but they wont". He didn't really use any words, it was more of grunts, noises and hand gestures. Hard to explain, but did not give me a answer. 

I'd consider a Ruger 2011. Pretty much zero interest in anything else they make. 

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

He could still shoot SS, but like I said I get him and James not going head to head in the same division. 

I still think they should make a 2011. And not a fake Ruger 2011, like Ruger should just make one. I asked Dave if they were going to recently but his non-answer was hard to read. It was either a "They are but I can't say they are" or "I told them that but they wont". He didn't really use any words, it was more of grunts, noises and hand gestures. Hard to explain, but did not give me a answer. 

Yeah, I don't know if there's something contractually that makes it better for them to shoot different divisions, or if he just doesn't want to compete head to head with a teammate, but it doesn't bother me in either case.

I think it's more of the second reason, but the answer wasn't much clearer for me than for you.

Never should have allowed the 7 shot revolver to begin with.  Should have eliminated the problem in the bud.  I was the third person in our area to shoot an optic on my revolver.  First being Brian Enos and then Rob Leathem. Yhey started because of Bianchi and adding the dot made a big difference in the sport. 

We only had shoot with the girl you came with.  At the club level we split Revo and Auto and had Best Of Day to make both compete with each other.  Sometimes the revolver would win.

I can no longer shoot do to health reasons but if I did I would vote for Optics in Revolver. It's more accurate and faster, at least it was for me.  Vote with your heart.  If you like shooting Irons, shoot them.  It's not like we're shooting for a brand new Caddy at the end of the day.

Just the opinion of a very old shooter that use to do it for the fun of the sport.