Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 trigger

dswinger25

I have been reading a bunch of forums on triggers with the shadow 2 or any 75 variant.  There are a lot of questions about how to reduce lbs with DA and SA.  I'm talking stock shadow 2 blue.  They are great to begin with, I have 3 now and was into a 320 Legion for a bit.  I realized that I like the hammer better (yes I had a 1911 growing up). I've done some basic work...11lb, or 12lb hammer spring (main spring), reduced firing pin spring and extended firing pin.  Polished one.. I'm seeming to find the same issues that guys on here say that have shot for a while.   Do any of you guys see a huge benefit in a competition hammer for a Shadow 2... I've tested both and want to hear from you guys.

I prefer the short reset disco as well as the cajun race hammer in mine.  The hammer gets the break as close (crisp and light) to a nice light 1911 trigger as you can get in this platform.  The little bit of creep prior to the break is eliminated.  The disco brings the trigger closer to the rear so rest to wall to break to reset all happen in a smaller window of movement.  Top it all off with a nice trigger that has pre and over travel adjustment and it's about as good as it gets.

With the hammer you'll also need to fit the sear so the safety works.  Or grab the adjustable sear and drop it right in with one single adjustment.  I've done both ways and prefer to just do the adjustable and be done with it.

For me, with the full cajun pro kit with the 11.5 pound hammer spring i get about 6# DA and 2.25# SA.  Never had a light strike on a cci or federal primer (all i load) in about 20k rounds this past season.

X2  Cajun Pro Kit. Race hammer is as clean a break as youll find. Short disconnect eliminates that long pull. I had issues with the 11.5 main spring. Light strikes. I was using Winchester primers at the time. Went to next higher spring and problem solved. May someday try Fed match primers and 11.5 main spring. Im sure that would be a joy to shoot.

I just put in the cz custom electro polished comp hammer and frankly haven't noticed anything significantly different then the stock hammer. Does look cool though so theres that I guess. 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:14 PM, dswinger25 said:

I have been reading a bunch of forums on triggers with the shadow 2 or any 75 variant.  There are a lot of questions about how to reduce lbs with DA and SA.  I'm talking stock shadow 2 blue.  They are great to begin with, I have 3 now and was into a 320 Legion for a bit.  I realized that I like the hammer better (yes I had a 1911 growing up). I've done some basic work...11lb, or 12lb hammer spring (main spring), reduced firing pin spring and extended firing pin.  Polished one.. I'm seeming to find the same issues that guys on here say that have shot for a while.   Do any of you guys see a huge benefit in a competition hammer for a Shadow 2... I've tested both and want to hear from you guys.

A stock S1/S2 can be improved with some lighter springs and/or polishing.  You'll still be left with a pretty long DA pull, longer reset, and SA that is "good" but has some creep.  Will these things make a huge difference on the timer?  Probably not.  Are they noticeable during testing and slow fire?  Absolutely.  On the timer, the biggest difference is probably the shorter DA pull, particularly if you need to engage a long target or small popper on the draw.

As mentioned above, if you really want that nicer trigger, the CGW Pro Kit is the way to go.  Lighter trigger pull, cleaner break without the creep, shorter reset, shorter DA pull and has been 100% reliable in multiple pistols for me with the 11.5lb hammer spring.  Personally, I wouldn't bother just doing the hammer without the rest of the parts though.  Without the matching upgraded seer, I just don't see it doing much.

I like the CGW trigger kit. Its hard to beat. I also run a 11.5lb hammer spring. This will make the biggest difference. If you dont want to spend the extra $ then just get the Hammer spring, ext firing pin, and reduced firing pin spring and you will get the same result.

My favorite set up is the czc comp hammer with the Cajun T6 hybrid disco, along with a 10lb czc main spring. Along with a bunch of polishing the trigger is much improved over stock. 

I like to tune up all my CZs. My competition safety models all have the CZC Comp hammer and the CZ-UB Pre-B drop in disconnector. Those parts, with the good polish job, will get you a real nice trigger. You can replace the firing pin with an extended one, add a Rami or CGW reduced weight firing pin spring and reduced weight trigger return spring to allow you to use a lower hammer spring weight to significantly reduce the double action trigger pull weight. I use the 8.5 lb CGW hammer spring with federal primers and have 100% ignition on my two CO shadows. Double action trigger pull is sub 5 lbs. I bump The Hammer spring up to 11.5lbs for other ammo. It adds about a pound to the double action trigger pull. I've tuned guns that could not use the 8.5 lb spring reliably so your results may vary. The reason I prefer the CZC hammer is because I don't like how the CGW hammer allows the safety to go up with the hammer down.

My carry guns, which are decocker models, all have the CGW Pro Kit. It's a pretty sweet setup.

4 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

The reason I prefer the CZC hammer is because I don't like how the CGW hammer allows the safety to go up with the hammer down.

Could you explain your experience a bit further? My experience with both hammers in Shadow 2 doesn't match with this.

What is different are the sears. The CGW adjustable sear allows the safety to be engaged hammer down or fully cocked, just don't pull the trigger with hammer down because it can damage the sear/safety engagement nub. 

Having used both shop's, parts my preference is the full CGW Pro polished set for the Shadow 2. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:31 PM, mveto said:

My favorite set up is the czc comp hammer with the Cajun T6 hybrid disco, along with a 10lb czc main spring. Along with a bunch of polishing the trigger is much improved over stock. 

Do you have any issues with light strikes with this combo? ive been having issues shooting supervel with this combo as well as the rami extended firing pin and there spring

19 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Could you explain your experience a bit further? My experience with both hammers in Shadow 2 doesn't match with this.

What is different are the sears. The CGW adjustable sear allows the safety to be engaged hammer down or fully cocked, just don't pull the trigger with hammer down because it can damage the sear/safety engagement nub. 

Having used both shop's, parts my preference is the full CGW Pro polished set for the Shadow 2. 

In my very limited experience, every build with a CGW hammer (with their adjustable sear and also with fitting the factory sear or safety to engage the safety with the hammer back) allows the safety to go up with the hammer down. I know you're not supposed to pull the trigger if this is the case. The reason I mention it is because I've engaged the safety without doing it on purpose. Such as drawing and transitioning to my weak hand for the first shot or just messing up with the strong hand draw. I understand this is a training issue and not necessarily a gun issue. David of CGW has mentioned on the CZ forums that this is just unavoidable with his parts.

On the other hand, I have two builds with CZC hammers that do not allow the safety to go up with a hammer down. I don't believe every build is like this as I also have one SPO1 with a CZC hammer that does let the safety go up with the hammer down. I'm not sure how to consistently achieve this, I just know it's possible.

Both shops do excellent work, and I've been very happy with my CGW builds.

11 hours ago, Yoseppy said:

Do you have any issues with light strikes with this combo? ive been having issues shooting supervel with this combo as well as the rami extended firing pin and there spring

No, but I only use federal primers in my cz’s, I believe supervel uses harder primers, I have a friend that has to use a 13lb ms with his supervel ammo, he gets light strikes with an 11.5lb spring. But he’s also using an SP01.

16 hours ago, Yoseppy said:

I use supervel also and on some other threads came to the conclusion that they use hard primers. I have to use a 13lb hammer with extended fp to get 100% reliability 

11 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

In my very limited experience, every build with a CGW hammer (with their adjustable sear and also with fitting the factory sear or safety to engage the safety with the hammer back) allows the safety to go up with the hammer down.

👍

On 1/12/2024 at 1:34 PM, fireman1776 said:

I use supervel also and on some other threads came to the conclusion that they use hard primers. I have to use a 13lb hammer with extended fp to get 100% reliability 

Awesome thank you! I'll go back to the 13 then. 

IME supervel is pretty terrible. I know I’ll probably get flamed for that but I’ve seen multiple people have issues with their ammo locally. Either it won’t gauge, has bullet setback, or people saying they have to modify their guns (HD extractor springs) to make it run reliably. There’s better options for better prices for remanufactured ammo. I use an 11.5 spring and so far haven’t had any issues with Federal, Winchester, CCI, or Fiocchi.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

IME supervel is pretty terrible. I know I’ll probably get flamed for that but I’ve seen multiple people have issues with their ammo locally. Either it won’t gauge, has bullet setback, or people saying they have to modify their guns (HD extractor springs) to make it run reliably. There’s better options for better prices for remanufactured ammo. I use an 11.5 spring and so far haven’t had any issues with Federal, Winchester, CCI, or Fiocchi.  

I use supervel 124 remans but I'm not married to it. It chrono'd pretty consistently for me and I haven't really had any problems thru my shadow 2 w 13lb mainspring so I've stuck with it. But please share names of other remanufacturers that are just as cost effective and have a PF around 130ish so I can check them out. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Who has better prices? 

22 hours ago, CZsandSigs said:

I use supervel 124 remans but I'm not married to it. It chrono'd pretty consistently for me and I haven't really had any problems thru my shadow 2 w 13lb mainspring so I've stuck with it. But please share names of other remanufacturers that are just as cost effective and have a PF around 130ish so I can check them out. 

I'm using Precision One 124 grain competition ammo ( 9mm 124gr FMJ (REMANUFACTURED) COMPETITION - Precision ONe Ammunition ).  I've shot over 1000 rounds with no malfunctions using an AccuShadow 2 (13 pound mainspring).

6 hours ago, PA_USPSA said:

I'm using Precision One 124 grain competition ammo ( 9mm 124gr FMJ (REMANUFACTURED) COMPETITION - Precision ONe Ammunition ).  I've shot over 1000 rounds with no malfunctions using an AccuShadow 2 (13 pound mainspring).

Thanks. I've never tried them but I've heard good things. But they are a good bit more expensive than SV in bulk. 

Right now the Precision One is cheaper if you buy it in lots of 500 ($140) versus lots of 1000 ($290).  Doesn't make sense, but who am I to argue?  Still more expensive than Super Vel for 1000 rounds ($280.00 versus $254.95).