Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried turf cleats shoes for competition?

ItsKirby

Wondering if anyone tried turf cleats for competition. In theory they have good traction, not high like standard baseball cleats and I see them on clearance section all the time. I have wide feet and after 10years looking to replace my salomon speedcross. If you have any other shoe recommendations for wide feet and will possible use an insert for arc support. 

Soccer cleats used to be all the rage. In my opinion they aren’t really needed unless you shoot a lot on grass. I wear Merrill’s because they come in wide widths.

You can do a search here and read about shoes all day

Edited by Sarge

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Soccer cleats used to be all the rage. In my opinion they aren’t really needed unless you shoot a lot on grass. I wear Merrill’s because they come in wide widths.

You can do a search here and read about shoes all day

yeah my area is mostly dirt but felt that baseball cleats sits high on hard dirt that I was afraid of rolling my ankles. I guess I would go back to trail shoes. 

30 minutes ago, ItsKirby said:

Wondering if anyone tried turf cleats for competition. In theory they have good traction, not high like standard baseball cleats and I see them on clearance section all the time. I have wide feet and after 10years looking to replace my salomon speedcross. If you have any other shoe recommendations for wide feet and will possible use an insert for arc support. 

wore them for years, Adddas high top foot ball cleats...More but shorter cleats, and not super narrow like most of the cleats on the market,, Figured football linemen gotta wear something.  

1 hour ago, ItsKirby said:

yeah my area is mostly dirt but felt that baseball cleats sits high on hard dirt that I was afraid of rolling my ankles. I guess I would go back to trail shoes. 

They are also deadly when you have to shoot from wooden platforms or planks. Especially when wet.

If you can find a comfy pair they work ok, but most hard cleats get painful on hard ground by the end of a long day for me.

There used to be a soft-cleat version of the UA Hammer Mid everyone wore for a few years before they discontinued it.  Wasn't terrible on wet wood, unlike the other cleats you'll want to be changing out of.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

wore them for years, Adddas high top foot ball cleats...More but shorter cleats, and not super narrow like most of the cleats on the market,, Figured football linemen gotta wear something.  

I will have to look into football cleats. do you have the molded ones or the one with the interchangeable cleats?

3 hours ago, shred said:

If you can find a comfy pair they work ok, but most hard cleats get painful on hard ground by the end of a long day for me.

There used to be a soft-cleat version of the UA Hammer Mid everyone wore for a few years before they discontinued it.  Wasn't terrible on wet wood, unlike the other cleats you'll want to be changing out of.

Yeah I figured those golf type shoes would be comfortable but they dont run and aggressive with it. 

I have tried several types.  I prefer soft cleats.  Hoka makes excellent lightweight trail shoes that fit my somewhat wide feet.  You can remove the insole and put a SuperFeet insole in.  That is what I do,

Hoka Speedgoats have a flexible tread with very grippy 5mm lugs.  The also come in waterproof and wide.  The lugs wear quickly on hard surfaces.  My current shoes are Hopka Torrents.  A little more support and grippy 4mm lugs.  Good for all surfaces, except mud.  You can run in mud, but stopping is a problem.  They tend to slip unless you really plant your foot.  The Speedgoats were better in that regard.  I wore Speedgoats first.  I prefer the Torrents.

All terrain running shoes such as the Brooks Adrenaline GTS are also great for everything except mud and wet grass.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I have tried several types.  I prefer soft cleats.  Hoka makes excellent lightweight trail shoes that fit my somewhat wide feet.  You can remove the insole and put a SuperFeet insole in.  That is what I do,

Hoka Speedgoats have a flexible tread with very grippy 5mm lugs.  The also come in waterproof and wide.  The lugs wear quickly on hard surfaces.  My current shoes are Hopka Torrents.  A little more support and grippy 4mm lugs.  Good for all surfaces, except mud.  You can run in mud, but stopping is a problem.  They tend to slip unless you really plant your foot.  The Speedgoats were better in that regard.  I wore Speedgoats first.  I prefer the Torrents.

All terrain running shoes such as the Brooks Adrenaline GTS are also great for everything except mud and wet grass.

deng  I will look into those. I also use superfeet so thats awesome!

Shot a match that had about a foot of rain before and during the first day. I bought a pair of soccer cleats they worked very well while others were slipping.

I haven't used them since. Trail running shoes have work well other than that day.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:13 AM, Studlee said:

Normally wear trail running shoes. For Handgun Nats GM shooter friend told me to get cleats for the gravel at Cardinal Shooting Center. Worked out great and didn't slip. Wide cleats move the gravel out getting a better grip. These are the ones I used. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B74XZ687/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1&psc=1

Thanks

On 11/20/2023 at 4:47 AM, Nathanb said:

I’ve never found the need for anything more than trail shoes unless on wet grass and I’m probably one of the faster people out there week in and week out. 

Yeah I am gonna go back to my Salomons

On 11/20/2023 at 9:44 AM, konkapot said:

As said earlier, if I was shooting ONE stage I'd get something super aggressive. But since we shoot 5-6-7-8+ stages a day I lean towards something that doesn't hurt after 5 hours. 

Yeah I feel you on that. I would rather get something more comfortable for my wide feet.

New Balance makes 2E width cleats.  Check out the fresh foam 3000 V6. Very comfortable for wide feet.  It does not, however, prevent sliding on fine gravels/pebbles on top of hard surface, such as the ground at CMP. 

nb.thumb.jpg.7adb3f11f807e0619c31c749e485c93b.jpg

Inov8 makes 8mm soft lug trail running shoes, and if you choose the correct "profile" that fits wide feet, they are very comfortable with great traction on most surfaces.  For example, Inov-8 X-Talon Ultra 260.  The downside is the lugs wear out very quickly especially on gravel surface.  I'd say these are comparable to Salomon in terms of tracking, but the fit is much wider.  I know Salomon now makes 2E models but they are not wide at all.  I had to return 2 pairs because they are narrower than regular width Inov8 profiles. 

inov8.jpg.1fd1c9009586e33b9bc4a9bccb0ee72e.jpg

Lastly, try 2E models with Asics (Venture series) and Brooks (Cascadia series).  They have 4-5mm lugs, not as aggressive as Inov8 or Salomon but very very comfortable.  

ascis.jpg.ffb07f5338a17188e59dd072fddbac80.jpg

brooks.thumb.jpg.23dc178c888dd9af206f9dd6811bbfa5.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

I know some top shooters wear cricket shoes.  They have metal spikes on the bottom and work great on dirt/soft ground.  Not so much for loose/fine gravels.  I don't think these have 2E models.  Below is the New Balance CK10 R5 model.

newb.jpg.52d55644043e33bc31aa94368d5ecf33.jpg

On 11/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, Dazhi said:

New Balance makes 2E width cleats.  Check out the fresh foam 3000 V6. Very comfortable for wide feet.  It does not, however, prevent sliding on fine gravels/pebbles on top of hard surface, such as the ground at CMP. 

nb.thumb.jpg.7adb3f11f807e0619c31c749e485c93b.jpg

Inov8 makes 8mm soft lug trail running shoes, and if you choose the correct "profile" that fits wide feet, they are very comfortable with great traction on most surfaces.  For example, Inov-8 X-Talon Ultra 260.  The downside is the lugs wear out very quickly especially on gravel surface.  I'd say these are comparable to Salomon in terms of tracking, but the fit is much wider.  I know Salomon now makes 2E models but they are not wide at all.  I had to return 2 pairs because they are narrower than regular width Inov8 profiles. 

inov8.jpg.1fd1c9009586e33b9bc4a9bccb0ee72e.jpg

Lastly, try 2E models with Asics (Venture series) and Brooks (Cascadia series).  They have 4-5mm lugs, not as aggressive as Inov8 or Salomon but very very comfortable.  

ascis.jpg.ffb07f5338a17188e59dd072fddbac80.jpg

brooks.thumb.jpg.23dc178c888dd9af206f9dd6811bbfa5.jpg

I will definetly looking into Inov8! thanks for the info. I use the asics now, they are comfortable (especially with my insert) but lack the traction I need. Appreciate the input

Crispi Attivas are a really strong trail runner. Good flexibility. 

Kenetrek also makes a trail shoe, but it is a bit more stiff. Think low top hiker. Huge fan of their boots but this shoe is a bit stiff for my liking but others may prefer it.

Both have good traction and are very well made. I’m partial to the Attivas

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 3:42 PM, zzt said:

+1 on the speed goats.  I find the traction to be insanely good.  Switched to them from the Nike Pegasus trail and the speed cross.  I also switch out the insole.