Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Trigger Conundrum - CMC vs Rise

I have a stack of PCCs, but they're all short and built for fun, not really for competition. AR9, AR-V, AK-Vs, AP5, Scorpion, etc. I'm planning on building two 16" guns to run in competitions (USPSA, 2 gun, Steel Challenge) and for fun. One is going to be a Palmetto AR-9. I bought a used upper off a forum and have the stripped lower to build out. I also have a second AR-V receiver set I can build as well. I tend to prefer the double feed Scorpion / Palmetto mags, so I'm thinking I'll run the AR-V and my kiddo can run the AR-9. I have a CMC PCC trigger and a RISE Rave PCC trigger. I'm trying to figure out which to put into which and am looking for anyone with experience with both.

My scorpion has an HBI, My AK-V's have ALG triggers, my AR9 and AR-V have POF 3.5 pound flat triggers (I like those, especially the use of the urethane bumpers to tension them). And the majority of my AR's have Geissele or LaRue triggers. So I'm used to snobbish triggers.

I also have some spare LaRue 2 stage triggers floating around but while I like them quite a bit, I prefer a quicker / shorter reset in a competition gun, but am open to listening to dissenting opinions there. I also have a take-out SD3G but my understanding is they're not great for PCC's.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by theautobahn

I have a SD3G in my JP5 and it works great after several thousand rounds. I have also used a RA 535 in an MBX that was an outstanding trigger. The Hyperfire Eclipse in a Taran Tactical is the best trigger I have shot. The bottom line is personal preference. How you want them to break and at what weight.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:50 PM, mrvip27 said:

I have had the CMC pcc trigger fail in my AR-v twice now.

Switched to Hiperfire eclipse. No going back here.

+1 on the "what failed" question.  I have been running the CMC 3.5 flat AR trigger in my AR-V and have had no issues.  This is the standard, not the PCC version.  I know CMC's customer service is excellent and will replace broken triggers, NQA

I’ve used cmc, hyperfire and JP triggers

i I didn’t like the hyperfire, the trigger pull reminded me of a really nice Glock trigger

I have a cmc, it broke a spring, it still functioned but the reset was soft, sent it back and cmc fixed it quickly

I’m running the JP in my main gun and so far so good

On 11/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, dmshozer1 said:

What failed?

22 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

+1 on the "what failed" question.  I have been running the CMC 3.5 flat AR trigger in my AR-V and have had no issues.  This is the standard, not the PCC version.  I know CMC's customer service is excellent and will replace broken triggers, NQA

Hammer hook.

They weren't even sure what was "wrong" but they replaced the hammer anyway.

Fixed it for a while...then the hammer hook failed again. Rounded it self. Only this time, quicker. Like less than 500rds. I just gave up. Frustrated I threw it away.

Just bad luck I guess.

Either way, I realized that I do not like cassette triggers anymore. The trigger came back with more slop and wobble in the receiver than when it left (aka no wobble). The anti walk pins aren't my favorite. I did like the reset on the CMC more though. More push to it. I was slightly quicker on the CMC than the hiperfire for double taps.

Hiperfire at least you can trouble shoot and take it apart/clean it and replace springs. The CMC trigger is easy to get crap under the cassette and stop your trigger from working as well. I have had it happen.

Just my .02.

Edited by mrvip27
4 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Hammer hook.

They weren't even sure what was "wrong" but they replaced the hammer anyway.

Fixed it for a while...then the hammer hook failed again. Rounded it self. Only this time, quicker. Like less than 500rds. I just gave up. Frustrated I threw it away.

Just bad luck I guess.

Either way, I realized that I do not like cassette triggers anymore. The trigger came back with more slop and wobble in the receiver than when it left (aka no wobble). The anti walk pins aren't my favorite. I did like the reset on the CMC more though. More push to it. I was slightly quicker on the CMC than the hiperfire for double taps.

Hiperfire at least you can trouble shoot and take it apart/clean it and replace springs. The CMC trigger is easy to get crap under the cassette and stop your trigger from working as well. I have had it happen.

Just my .02.

Thanks,

I had a hammer spring break after 5,000 rds or so.

They replaced it no questions asked.

The reset is strong.

I'm going to see how long this one lasts.

• 3 weeks later...

If money is no object, I would go Hiperfire. For a lower budget, cmc is great. I have multiple triggers of both brands in various guns and think they’re both great triggers. I’ve also had to have 1 of each replaced by the manufacturer. Customer service from both companies was equally excellent.  I have only had one rise trigger and it didn’t work out of the box, wouldn’t reset properly. This was a couple years ago in a 223 rifle though. 

• 1 month later...

Since I owned both already, I put them both into lowers. I put the CMC into the Palmetto AR9 lower and the Rise into a PSA AR-V.

I have dry-fired both at home but not actually run them on the range - and I acknowledge that sometimes triggers do feel different when actually shooting. But my initial impressions are this -

I strongly dislike the little 90 degree "hook" at the bottom of the CMC trigger - it rubs on my finger to the point I'm now rethinking putting the 2.5lb CMC I have into the 15-22 I use for Steel Challenge sometimes.

The CMC has a much longer reset. Like- over twice as long. It's gross.

I'm going to run it for a bit and see how I actually like it, but as of right now, the heavy nod goes to the Rise PCC trigger.

9 hours ago, theautobahn said:

Since I owned both already, I put them both into lowers. I put the CMC into the Palmetto AR9 lower and the Rise into a PSA AR-V.

I have dry-fired both at home but not actually run them on the range - and I acknowledge that sometimes triggers do feel different when actually shooting. But my initial impressions are this -

I strongly dislike the little 90 degree "hook" at the bottom of the CMC trigger - it rubs on my finger to the point I'm now rethinking putting the 2.5lb CMC I have into the 15-22 I use for Steel Challenge sometimes.

The CMC has a much longer reset. Like- over twice as long. It's gross.

I'm going to run it for a bit and see how I actually like it, but as of right now, the heavy nod goes to the Rise PCC trigger.

Dremel the hook off,

Takes about 10 minutes.

Take care to not let he trigger get to hot, I keep dipping mine into a dish of water.