Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 armorer proficiency?

Stafford

Considering a 2011 for Limited Optics. I'm OK with working on my Glocks. And can change a few springs on my CZ's, but that's the extent of my armorer knowledge. I've never owned a 1911 and wouldn't know how to start the field strip process to clean, oil, and put back together. 

I don't like tinkering/tuning and don't want to have a personal and financial relationship with a gunsmith to keep a gun running. I'm not mechanically inclined and have little interest in working on things. That being said, should I stay away from the platform , or is it not a big deal.

Just my opinion, but I find basic maintenance on 2011s to be pretty easy. 

if by “keep the gun running” you mean field strip, clean/lube, replace springs, 2011s are pretty straightforward. 

but, like any machine, the more you modify things to “improve” the experience/performance, the more you risk reliability, but that is true for all platforms. 

2011s can be made to run well. There are probably more variables with the platform due to the volume of aftermarket parts and mods. 

If I were you, I would stay away from the platform, then. 

Unless you have the opportunity to thoroughly test fire a gun with YOUR ammo to ensure it is 100% reliable with all magazines provided. 

Successful 1911 / 2011 shooting requires exactly what you state you don't have / desire. 

(in my very humble opinion. ☺️ ) 

There's a ton of youtube videos on full disassembly. It's like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets. 

Its really not hard at all, but if you hate maintaining gear you'd probably be better off sticking to other platforms.

I don't hate maintenance if I know how to do it. I'll field strip, clean and lube my Glocks and CZ's regularly. Have switched out drop in triggers, connectors, etc... on the Glocks. Have switched out firing pins, and some springs on the CZ's. But that is the extent of it. I don't polish or file internal parts. 

1911/2011 guns are not that hard to maintain or breakdown for cleaning and such. Yes it'll be different than your Glock or cz, but it's not rocket surgery.

Also, they should run pretty easily. Hell I've got a prodigy with 2,100 trouble free rounds through it. Well there was one round, but it was actually a mag issue, not the gun. And I know 2100 is not a huge number, but if it works for 2,100 it'll probably work for a long time. And other than a trigger job on the factory components and a MAG well, it is 100% stock. In other words I had to do zero tuning to make it work

As far as trigger jobs and such, if you buy high-end gun they have to come with a good trigger. If you buy something like a prodigy you can buy an egw kit and have somebody else throw it in there if you don't want to. It's not that expensive to be honest.

I'm not discussing open guns here as I've only shot open a little bit. But for limited or limited optics, having a working 19/2011 is really not an issue 

Edited by RJH

If you can keep a CZ running you'll be fine with a 2011.

But, if you don't like to tinker it'd be important to get one that's setup the way you want it. I'd say get a new MPA, if it doesn't work send it back they should get it running for you. Once it's running a 9mm minor 2011 is going to last a vary long time. Just keep a eye on the mags and mag springs, link any other gun really. 

Another option is just get a SA CZ, if you're already comfortable with them, the gun isn't going to hold you back. 

A 1911 is far easier to completely disassemble and reassemble than a glockenspiel and far far easier than a cz.. in a standard 1911 most malfunctions are extractor related the rest are ammo. 2011 add  magazines to the mix. 2011 mags never needed tuning 25 years ago now they do. Not sure what happened. 

Edited by barry
Misspelled

9 minutes ago, barry said:

A 1911 is far easier to completely disassemble and reassemble than a glockenspiel and far far easier than a cz.. in a standard 1911 most malfunctions are extractor related the rest are ammo. 2011 add  magazines to the mix. 2011 mags never needed tuning 25 years ago now they do. Not sure what happened. 

Oddly enough all my factory prodigy mags that people said were an issue have worked completely fine. The one issue I had was after I had changed to an aftermarket base pad and follower and I needed to do a little more filing on the follower. Wasn't a big deal, just demonstrating that even factory mags can work completely fine

Just now, Stafford said:

OK, let's say I go with a Prodigy and have someone put in an EGW internals kit. What else needs to be updated to run smoothly? New extractor?

On my particular gun absolutely nothing.

If you go with a prodigy, here is my thoughts and opinions, based on me buying a prodigy.

First, take it and shoot it. If it works then continue shooting it, if it doesn't work, send it to Springfield and allow them to make it work correctly.

Second, if it works and you want a better (and I am talking feel here, not functionality) either have someone do a trigger job on the factory components, or have them install egw parts. 

Third, shoot the hell out of it. If at some point and extractor or ejector needs to be replaced, have that done but that could be 20,000 rounds down the road. No real reason to worry about it IME

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

On my particular gun absolutely nothing.

If you go with a prodigy, here is my thoughts and opinions, based on me buying a prodigy.

First, take it and shoot it. If it works then continue shooting it, if it doesn't work, send it to Springfield and allow them to make it work correctly.

Second, if it works and you want a better (and I am talking feel here, not functionality) either have someone do a trigger job on the factory components, or have them install egw parts. 

Third, shoot the hell out of it. If at some point and extractor or ejector needs to be replaced, have that done but that could be 20,000 rounds down the road. No real reason to worry about it IME

Are you shooting a 5" or 4.25"?

13 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Are you shooting a 5" or 4.25"?

I know there were some issues with the 5-in guns when they first came out but I believe they have that worked out at this point. They did some internal slide lightning and such. I haven't shot a 5 inch prodigy, but if I wanted a 5"  I would have no issues buying one

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Once it's running a 9mm minor 2011 is going to last a vary long time. Just keep a eye on the mags and mag springs, link any other gun really. 

THIS!!

We'd be having a different discussion if we were talking about a major power factor gun. I've had 9minor 2011s that went trouble free with really high round counts, and only basic wipe downs and re-lube.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:02 PM, whan said:

1 hour ago, Bigzona said:

THIS!!

We'd be having a different discussion if we were talking about a major power factor gun. I've had 9minor 2011s that went trouble free with really high round counts, and only basic wipe downs and re-lube.

Been running 38 super major for 30 years. At least 10 at 175 power factor. Have 3 guns that are all still  running. Have replaced slides on 2 of them and at least 2 barrels each but they have well over 100,000 rounds each . Very few problems. 9mm major seems to be hard on slides. And I'm not a maintenance nut. Clean and inspect twice a year and change recoil spring. Mag springs every 2 years .

Edited by barry
Removed non relevant quotes

27 minutes ago, barry said:

Been running 38 super major for 30 years. At least 10 at 175 power factor. Have 3 guns that are all still  running. Have replaced slides on 2 of them and at least 2 barrels each but they have well over 100,000 rounds each . Very few problems. 9mm major seems to be hard on slides. And I'm not a maintenance nut. Clean and inspect twice a year and change recoil spring. Mag springs every 2 years .

How chopped up are your slides? Did the two you replaced crack? 

It seems new guns have more issue. I'd guess because newer guns have crazy cuts to look cool and be light with high slide velocity, then add 9 major and probably s#!ttier quality steel today vs 30 years ago. But it does seem like minor guns today will likely out last a modern open gun. 

Slides are flat topped and some slots milled thru sides and top. Nothing radical.  Seems like the new breed of shooters want to pay for crazy cots and cnc mill sculpting but I've seen a lot of 7-8 thousand dollar guns that look fancy as hell but don't work from the get go. I also don't fit my guns nearly as tight as those guns. Will gladly take 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards in a gun that's dead reliable over 1 inch out of a finicky gun that needs to be clean to run.

I will second the Springfield being a good starter 2011, the 4.25 I have has been good. I feel you about not be the tinker type, but after having one I started to. My thought was I have other guns to play the game with and was willing to try doing a few things. I did the trigger, drop in kit from Infinity, only thing that didn't work was the leaf spring, too short to catch the sear. If you can take a CZ apart the 2011 shouldn't be anything to be worried about. Or pay a bit more and go with the Staccato, good track record for working out of the box. 

I agree with the opinion that the 1911/2011 guns aren’t that hard to learn, maintain and work on.  If you shift your mindset just a bit and open yourself to the enjoyment of learning the mechanical aspects of these guns, you might catch yourself having a jolly old time.

2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

I agree with the opinion that the 1911/2011 guns aren’t that hard to learn, maintain and work on.  If you shift your mindset just a bit and open yourself to the enjoyment of learning the mechanical aspects of these guns, you might catch yourself having a jolly old time.

I guess I'll find out. I ordered a BUL Armory 2011 this morning to play around with. Seemed like a good entry level 2011 for a newb. And since I don't currently own any 2011's, the proprietary mags are not a big deal.

I ordered a slide from Atlas, a barrel from KKM and a Caspin receiver to build one.  I own a Springfield Prodigy and want to build competition gun.   Maintenance on my Prodigy is easier than my CZ Shadow that I used to own.

5 hours ago, Stuey said:

I ordered a slide from Atlas, a barrel from KKM and a Caspin receiver to build one.  I own a Springfield Prodigy and want to build competition gun.   Maintenance on my Prodigy is easier than my CZ Shadow that I used to own.

Question on the caspian frame, SS or wide body 

last I check caspian didn’t show the high cap frames or parts on their website

8 hours ago, rishii said:

Question on the caspian frame, SS or wide body 

last I check caspian didn’t show the high cap frames or parts on their website

I had Caspian on the brain when I wrote this, it is a Cheely frame.