Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics with a Converted 40 Cal Limited Gun - Let's DO THIS!!!

CHA-LEE

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Well, as much as I prefer shooting 40 minor over 9mm, I'm going to change.  For one thing, the 3000+ 40 heads I thought I had turned out to be mostly 45s.  It's not worth changing over the press for 800 40s, so I'll sell the heads and give the 2.5 gallons of once fired 40 brass to a Limited shooting friend.

I just received a CZC SS 9mm barrel for my CZ 75 TS 40.  I'll be fitting it shortly.  I know that conversion works, because so many others have done it.  Hopefully the mags will work as well.   Then I'll just stick with 9mm and 45.

Good luck with the conversion, keep updated with how it goes.

I'll pick up the torch for the 40. Getting a EGW plate to put a not in use  Delta point pro on my Tangfolio Limited with lightened 6 in upper. Been playing with minor loads around 138 pf. It's so silly soft and flat shooting.(accurate  also) Looking forward to running it in LO.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I'll pick up the torch for the 40. Getting a EGW plate to put a not in use  Delta point pro on my Tangfolio Limited with lightened 6 in upper. Been playing with minor loads around 138 pf. It's so silly soft and flat shooting.(accurate  also) Looking forward to running it in LO.

I hear you .  I would if I could.  I can't keep up with 9mm.  I shoot too much.  Last year I went through several cases of factory minor for no other reason than I couldn't keep up with demand.  I'd load major and PCC and still couldn't keep up.  I shot the last USPSA match last year Open minor with factory.  Didn't have enough major loaded.   If I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought an automated press.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m taking a drink of this 40 minor coolaid… put a Bomar style plate on my Bedell 40 cal, topped with an SRO, and have been loading 150 gr bb’s at 136-138 pf…. Shoots great, return to zero is good, and is ejecting brass 4 foot away… tomorrow will be first match I’ve shot this pistol in quite some time 

On 1/15/2024 at 11:02 PM, vgdvc said:

Well, the conversion isn't working out.  I fit the barrel and it shoots to the same POI as the 40 barrel.  So far, so good.  The bad news is 9mm does not work in my 40 mags.  I was told it would before I bought the barrel.  I get get three rounds in one of the mags.  Add a fourth and one pops out.  I can't keep even one in the other mags.   I was willing to spend $225 to drop one caliber.  I'm not willing to spend an additional $350 on mags and extensions to shoot 9mm in it.  So I'll be back to loading 40 minor if I want to shoot LO.

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

Well, the conversion isn't working out.  I fit the barrel and it shoots to the same POI as the 40 barrel.  So far, so good.  The bad news is 9mm does not work in my 40 mags.  I was told it would before I bought the barrel.  I get get three rounds in one of the mags.  Add a fourth and one pops out.  I can't keep even one in the other mags.   I was willing to spend $225 to drop one caliber.  I'm not willing to spend an additional $350 on mags and extensions to shoot 9mm in it.  So I'll be back to loading 40 minor if I want to shoot LO.

I would completely understand if you didn't want to do this but, I have taken 40 mags for a production style gun and tweaked the feed lips in just a touch and they fed nine just fine. I don't know how feasible that is for what you have, or if you're willing to possibly sacrifice one mag to give it a try but, it could be an option

Editing to add, if you're shooting a 2011 just buy some prodigy mags. They're like 40 bucks a pop. With two of them and maybe one Atlas mag you'd be good to go. You can throw aftermarket guts in The prodigy Meg, but at that point you're basically the same price as an atlas

Editing one more time LOL. If you already have 40 mags with base pads and internals, all that s*** might work on a prodigy mag

Edited by RJH

23 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you already have 40 Cal 140mm mags, then all you need are 9mm tubes then move the guts and pads over to the 9mm tubes. That is a lot less $$$ than you think. For example Atlas Gunworks 140mm mag tubes are only $50.

I also want to point out that even if you spent $350 on new mags that is only about 1500 rounds of 9mm ammo at 0.23 a round. For most people that is only 3 - 4 practice sessions worth of ammo. Putting the cost of things into perspective is a good thing sometimes.

33 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you're really into the 9mm route I would absolutely contact the authority on magazines, Beven Gram at Grams Engineering. Super nice guy, ridiculously knowledgeable about magazines and very willing to help. He helped me get things squared away on my STI tubes. In my experience his components are the best.

6 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you already have 40 Cal 140mm mags, then all you need are 9mm tubes then move the guts and pads over to the 9mm tubes. That is a lot less $$$ than you think. For example Atlas Gunworks 140mm mag tubes are only $50.

CZ TS 9mm mag tubes are unobtainable.

6 hours ago, vgdvc said:

If you're really into the 9mm route I would absolutely contact the authority on magazines, Beven Gram at Grams Engineering. Super nice guy, ridiculously knowledgeable about magazines and very willing to help. He helped me get things squared away on my STI tubes. In my experience his components are the best.

No. I'm giving up.  For $125 I figured I could shoot a gun I love, but don't use much any more.  I'll leave it 40sw and shoot my 2011s for 9 minor.  Works fine and I have plenty of MBX and Atlas mags for them.  I thought about tweaking the feed lips, but decided against.  I still want them to work for 40.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

CZ TS 9mm mag tubes are unobtainable.

No. I'm giving up.  For $125 I figured I could shoot a gun I love, but don't use much any more.  I'll leave it 40sw and shoot my 2011s for 9 minor.  Works fine and I have plenty of MBX and Atlas mags for them.  I thought about tweaking the feed lips, but decided against.  I still want them to work for 40.

oh, i didn’t realize you were talking about a cz. my 9 and 40 cz mags are 100% interchangeable, but they are all for small frame (cz75/p01/shadow). i guess the large frame mags must be different.