Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LO thumb rest?

lroy

Is there a frame mounted thumb rest that doesn't make racking the slide awkward?

I shoot a honcho and wanted to try out LO so I kept everything the same and just put the dot on the slide, but without a racker the GG pedal jams into my hand.

Edited by lroy

I dont think any frame mounted thumrest will have enough clearance for racking. Even my nitrofin slide stop thumbrest gets in the way when racking over the top sometimes. Due to this, I rack from under with my LO gun. Slows me down by about .25 second. 

I have a large Tevo slide-stop thumbrest on my Tanfo. As a right handed shooter, I rack using the optic by tilting the gun left, and using the bottom right of my palm to rack the upper right corner of the optic. This way it provides clearance from the thumb rest.

It's been hard to get a plate from PT for the Honcho recently, so I found a guy on eBay who will make a RMR/SRO or RTS2/Romeo3 footprint plate.  The side of the plate is drilled and tapped for a Canik racker.  There's not enough room for a thumb between the racker and your safety, so I will be running it on the outside of my strong hand (palm side, not thumb side when gripping the gun).  I have a TEvo thumb rest, and I'll also have a (3d printed) spacer so I have some clearance between my slide and thumb rest so I can use the same thumb rest in Open and LO.

18 hours ago, Timido said:

Ive got a Tevo thumbrest to try once I get this one together. I am going to try it out with optic racker or just dryfire with double sided tape before I drill holes in it.  

received_1366016954331043.jpeg

just noticed that you had a prodigy grip on that build. were you able to buy the grip aftermarket? also did a staccato magwell fit?

On 9/12/2023 at 2:24 PM, attakmint said:

It's been hard to get a plate from PT for the Honcho recently, so I found a guy on eBay who will make a RMR/SRO or RTS2/Romeo3 footprint plate.  The side of the plate is drilled and tapped for a Canik racker.  There's not enough room for a thumb between the racker and your safety, so I will be running it on the outside of my strong hand (palm side, not thumb side when gripping the gun).  I have a TEvo thumb rest, and I'll also have a (3d printed) spacer so I have some clearance between my slide and thumb rest so I can use the same thumb rest in Open and LO.

Interesting. Can you post a photo?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 6:17 AM, lroy said:

Interesting. Can you post a photo?

Here's some pics of the plate/racker mocked up. You can see how the Taylor Freelance Canik racker gets in the way of my thumb disengaging the safety, even with my modest hand size. Plate I'm pretty sure is aluminum, so I'd want at least blue loctite to hold things together. Hard to get a video of it, but my left hand runs into my right thumb knuckle when racking and the racker is on the left side. So instead I'll set it up like a Czechmate. Those of you with ham hocks for hands will have a worse time than me.

I want to shoot some Limited Major with my Honcho for now. I've said I might give LO a spin, seeing as I have everything on hand with the Honcho to shoot it, so maybe later this year.

Give them a call or email they just had some made when I got one.   They were great to deal with . They called it a 45 degree racker.  I havet had the chance to put it on mine yet to try it out.   

Edited by Timido

• 3 weeks later...

The ability to use a slide racker and a thumbrest in LO means the only advantages in Open over LO is a comp and a frame-mounted optic versus a slide-mounted optic, plus the ability to shoot major in Open.  Those who can get their LO gun to shoot really flat and are very accurate at speed should be getting hit factors very close to the Open guys.

Edited by GunBugBit

16 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Those who can get their LO gun to shoot really flat and are very accurate at speed should be getting hit factors very close to the Open guys.

Capacity and Major PF alone give a 7-10% gap between Open and LO for same skilled shooters. This is proven time and time again at majors.