Lawsuit against USPSA

BritinUSA

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

"Is USPSA's 501(c)(3) status impacts by the lack of corporate standing?"

I don't think the lack of corporate standing impacts tax exempt status as that can be remedied fairly easily and actions taking during the revocation period are given full effect once the issue is resolved.  But, failure to file required IRS Form 990, Return of Organisation Exempt from Income Tax, for three consecutive years typically results in automatic revocation (of tax exempt status).  And from what I can see on the IRS website, USPSA hasn't filed that form since 2020.  So, . . . 

Edited by ltdmstr
clarification

Looking back on the archived BOD minutes there were numerous changes to the bylaws. The lawsuit alleges that under Delaware law, the BOD has only powers that are explicity defined in their incorporation document. As there is no reference to the ability to change bylaws, that authority lies with the members (via voting). 

None of the bylaw changes that I found between 1985 and 2010 were put to a membership vote. Instead only the BOD members had that privilege.

11 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

PSI = practical.shooting.insights an Instagram account 

That's the fella that said that Gary and Mike were out of office when this happened and that it wasn't their fault so I'm not sure how much of his misinformation I would trust.

For real accurate information you should check:

https://www.facebook.com/thefeedramp

4 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

That's the fella that said that Gary and Mike were out of office when this happened and that it wasn't their fault so I'm not sure how much of his misinformation I would trust.

Thank you for the self-plug David. 

3 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Considering what's already come to light, the fact that more will come out during discovery, the cost to defend this, plus the potential damages, and I think this will almost certainly bankrupt the organization.

It appears that the lawsuit may be on solid ground when it comes to the lack of authority to change bylaws or even to suspend members. None of this is in the Incorporation document, and even if that document were to be changed now it would not allow what has been done in the past.

I seriously doubt this will be dismissed by the court, we'll know in a month as I think they have 30 days to respond. If it survives dismissal this could get very costly for the org.

35 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Considering what's already come to light, the fact that more will come out during discovery, the cost to defend this, plus the potential damages, and I think this will almost certainly bankrupt the organization.

I agree. Its over for the org. The only question now is what can/will be salvaged.

As an observation. I have served on multiple boards, and worked with and for non profits. When financial data is being purposely concealed there is almost certainly embezzlement or other serious issues.

47 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

LOL!.  Isn't that your site? 

4 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Kind of ridiculous the DNROI thread got locked. If there’s s problem with a member’s post moderate that post, otherwise you’re effectively doing the same thing USPSA BOD is doing! There needs to be a place to discuss this. Unbelievable. Please unlock that post, i dont see anything personal…

Yeah. There needs to be a place.

This ain't it.