Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder recommendation for compensated gun?

CurlyShuffle

Hello,

The conventional wisdom I have read up on and seen videos about indicates that in order to make the best use of the compensator on your handgun, you'll need a warmer load with a lighter weight bullet.  That way the gun goes back down to zero faster.  With that in mind I have 1k of 115gr 9mm Delta Precision FMJ bullets laying around that I'm looking for a load for.  In doing some research so far, I'm wondering if either using HS-6 or Power Pistol might be good in this application?  I do know in the past Power Pistol really has some blast in 9mm for me.  They will be going through a P320 with a Faxon 4.6" threaded barrel and Herrington Arms Compensator.

Which powders are more suited for compensated guns?  🤔

I was just wondering the same about Power Pistol. So far I've only loaded Major for comp'd guns but just got a minor gun with a comp. While Power Pistol didn't do that well in my Major load testing I've had pretty good results with minor loads with it and like you say it's always produced a pretty good POW. More so than HS-6, 3N37 or 3N38.

49 minutes ago, sharko said:

I was just wondering the same about Power Pistol. So far I've only loaded Major for comp'd guns but just got a minor gun with a comp. While Power Pistol didn't do that well in my Major load testing I've had pretty good results with minor loads with it and like you say it's always produced a pretty good POW. More so than HS-6, 3N37 or 3N38.

I guess I’ll try Power Pistol first.  I still have a couple of hundred rounds left over that I loaded a few years ago.  Maybe that POW can be put to good use.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, longjoee said:

I have used #7, Longshot with PD 115's and 124's not bad. Trying Silhouette, so for shows promise, next Power Pistol. Not looking for Major power just drive the comp and dot control, steel shooting.

Power Pistol won't be ideal...and it will have a bright camera flash at heavier charges. 

14 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Power Pistol won't be ideal...and it will have a bright camera flash at heavier charges. 

BE 86, advertised as same burn rate, no flash.. Although I feel like it is faster than Power Pistol. Maybe splitting the distance between Unique and Power Pistol.. I really like it for full power loads. Also good for fairly heavy 357 magnum loads in short barreled guns and great at 255 gr 6" 45ACP pin loads.

• 7 months later...

Power Pistol will work but it will be unpleasant. Longshot will be similar.

Since you're not going for Major, you might want a slow-but-not-slow-enough-for-major powder, like N340 or Win 572. Or BE-86, Unique, Herco, but Alliant powders are so expensive now...

HS6 is great but it will not burn completely at book loads, same for Ramshot Silhouette (and probably also True Blue).

Curly, @MoNsTeR is on the right track.  You absolutely do not want to use any of the really slow powders mentioned above.  You only have two narrow up ports on your comp.  They are not able to handle the gas generated by the slower powders.  What the comp cannot handle jets out the front and increases felt recoil.  You want a fast powder in the range of N320 or Sport Pistol.  Definitely nothing slower than Autocomp.

You are trying to flatten the gun.  You can do that easily, but it requires some work.  The object is to have almost all the gasses exit through the ports on the comp, with almost none jetting out the front.   Hold the front of the comp 1" away from a white no shoot.  If there is significant splatter, you have too much powder, or you used too slow a powder.  You also want a powder that burns cool, especially if you are going to use FMJs.  The ARE going to lead your comp.  Hot burning powders will just speed that up.

My suggestion is to start with something like AA2.  It is less expensive than Sport Pistol or N320, and slightly slower.  I use it for my 124gr 132 PF minor 9mm loads.   It burns clean and cool.  It is not position sensitive.   My backup Open gun wears a three chamber five port comp and three 5/32" poppels.  I change the recoil spring to a 6V and shoot the load above.  It doesn't 'work' the comp, but is shoots flat and soft.  Much more so than factory loads.

If AA2 doesn't float your boat, try a starting load of Autocomp, or a tad above.   It is slightly slower than AA2 and generates a lot of gas.  Stick with 124s.  115s will require more powder to make PF and will likely be too snappy.

I really liked VV N350 behind a .124/5gr bullet shooting 9 major.  Recently tried 3n38 and I like it more.  I used to run autocomp.  

• 3 months later...

Here are some loads I've tried in my Springer Precision XDm 5.25.  I use my STI Trubor 38 Super for the really hot stuff.  My favorite powders are probably WSF and CFE.

Bullet:  Sierra 90 gr. JHP
Powder:  Winchester WSF 5.9 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
OAL:  1.020 (.822 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1432.82 fps
ES:  36.29  
SD:  13.00

Bullet:  Sierra 90 gr. JHP
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 7.15 grs.
OAL:  1.020 (.822 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.: 1471.59 fps
ES:  41.89      
SD:  14.14

Bullet:  Winchester 115 gr. JHP
Powder:  Winchester WSF 5.7 grs.
OAL:  1.115 (.839 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1260.13 fps  
ES:  21.16
SD:  7.93

Bullet:  Winchester 115 gr. JHP
Powder:  Hodgdon HS-6 7.3 grs.
OAL:  1.115 (.839 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1357.84 fps  
ES:  32.87  
SD:  11.00

Bullet:  Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP
Powder:  Winchester Auto Comp 4.6 grs.
OAL:  1.090 (.825 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1049.23 fps
ES:  21.58  
SD:  5.56

Powder:  Winchester WSF 4.65 grs.
OAL:  1.075 (.812 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1099.55 fps  
ES:  23.04  
SD:  9.64

Powder:  Hodgdon CFE Pistol 5.0 grs.
OAL:  1.090 (.825 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1108.45 fps
ES:  13.84    
SD:  4.58

Bullet:  Montana Gold 124 gr. CMJ
Powder:  Winchester WSF 5.2 gr.
OAL:  1.129 (.843 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1186.71 fps
ES:  34.28
SD:  11.09

Powder:  Hodgdon HS-6 6.4 grs.
OAL:  1.075 (.812 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:  1239.02 fps
ES:  55.44
SD:  19.94

IMG-5595.thumb.jpg.f5ebbdd25fe9d518deb71e7027c2b9c3.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose we always have to chase the better load. Before my first comped gun I ran a bunch of stuff but right before I had 124 Blue bullets loaded soft with aa2 and sprung my pistols to that. Everything worked well (aside from Shadow 2 which didnt like the length). Added a PMM comped 320 build and after reading about powders and comps I decided to try a slower powder n350. Got a load that worked well but had a hard time tuning a new load for this build as it likes everything and only really got there by adding an Erubus. And still everything felt good but the slowmo and timing worked better with new load.  Tried dropping to 115 but didnt really notice any improvement. Im about to start a new run with n340 and RMR 124 RN FMJ. I am trying to get to 1 comped load and 1 uncomped load for 9mm. Coated for uncomped jacketed for comped.

I have not noticed extreme leading to a point were comps are ineffective just a little crusty.