Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe option

konkapot

I'm a bigger clumsy guy, so I'm picky about shoes. 

Stumbled on a brand called "Salewa." Pricy but lots of different styles/options. 

I first saw them in Europe, but they're available online here AND in stores as well. 

Just another option. 

• 4 months later...

I have wide feet and find narrow shoes very uncomfortable. Solomon’s are particularly difficult to wear for that reason. After trying a few different options I settled on Altra lone peak trail running shoes. The give serious grip and If you like a large toe box, I would highly recommend them.

The Altra's are good, and the foot shape toe box is interesting.  They are a zero rise shoe (flat--no heal) and that takes a bit of getting used to.  My last two pair of shooting shoes have been Solomon Wide's.  Wish they made them is colors other than plain black--

Another option to consider are Inov-8 trail shoes.  Light weight, and through their website they often run sales. I have a pair TrailTalon 235v3, that I got on sale for $60.  I really like them, especially since my favorite gym shoe is their F-Lite 235v3, which is the same shoe with a different tread on the soles.

The Mudclaw 300 shoes would also work, and have even deeper lugs on the sole.  However, I prefer the 4mm heel to toe drop of the 235s, over the 6mm drop of the 300s.  

Edited by ReconNav

I decided against the Salomon Speed Cross lineup.  To me, the heel is stacked a bit too high and for me it was hard to roll my feet from heel to toe.  I have instead been using the Brooks Cascadia 17 this year.  It has good arch support and decent traction.  The sole is a little rigid, though.  I bought a pair of Salomon Sense Ride that are similar to the Speed Cross but the heel stack is not as extreme.  I plan to try those next.  The only other pair I have considered are the Saucony Peregrine.

As to the Inov-8 shoes, they're great with respect to traction but the only issue I'd note is that there is very little, if any, arch support with those shoes.  That was a deal breaker for me on long match days.

46 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

As to the Inov-8 shoes, they're great with respect to traction but the only issue I'd note is that there is very little, if any, arch support with those shoes.  That was a deal breaker for me on long match days.

That's a fair assessment.  They are intended to be minimalist shoes.  My doc has me use SuperFeet insoles in all my shoes, so its not a factor for me.  However, if some needs lots of arch support, it might be an issue.

1 hour ago, ReconNav said:

That's a fair assessment.  They are intended to be minimalist shoes.  My doc has me use SuperFeet insoles in all my shoes, so its not a factor for me.  However, if some needs lots of arch support, it might be an issue.

Yes, and that is my problem — flat arches. If I could have a shoe with arch support like Brooks and the tread of an inov-8, that would be a match made in heaven. I haven’t found it yet. 

7 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

Yes, and that is my problem — flat arches. If I could have a shoe with arch support like Brooks and the tread of an inov-8, that would be a match made in heaven. I haven’t found it yet. 

I have flat feet and use arch support in my tennis shoes but for matches I wear Timberland hiking boots and they work great and I don't need arch support with them. 

The extra ankle support helps me too. 

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Out of Ammo said:

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the speedcross in gore-tex or not?  Anyone have an opinion on that?

Vortex gets hot in the summer. Guess you need to determine your individual shooting conditions. Do you typically shoot in the cold or the rain? Or in warm summer weather on sunny days?

Thank you, Sarge.  I shoot in all kinds of weather. I currently wear Boombas and they're waterproof.  They are great shoes but can get really hot in the summer.  I'm leaning on getting the regular shoes and using the Boombas in the wet weather.

16 minutes ago, Out of Ammo said:

Thank you, Sarge.  I shoot in all kinds of weather. I currently wear Boombas and they're waterproof.  They are great shoes but can get really hot in the summer.  I'm leaning on getting the regular shoes and using the Boombas in the wet weather.

👍 I wear Merrill’s and do the same. MOAB Ventilators with a pair of waterproof for nasty days.

• 5 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 11:22 PM, Pluder said:

I have wide feet and find narrow shoes very uncomfortable. Solomon’s are particularly difficult to wear for that reason. After trying a few different options I settled on Altra lone peak trail running shoes. The give serious grip and If you like a large toe box, I would highly recommend them.

On 11/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, ReconNav said:

Another option to consider are Inov-8 trail shoes.  Light weight, and through their website they often run sales. I have a pair TrailTalon 235v3, that I got on sale for $60.  I really like them, especially since my favorite gym shoe is their F-Lite 235v3, which is the same shoe with a different tread on the soles.

The Mudclaw 300 shoes would also work, and have even deeper lugs on the sole.  However, I prefer the 4mm heel to toe drop of the 235s, over the 6mm drop of the 300s.  

I think I've found the perfect shoes for shooting for wide feet. The Altra Olympus 5 has the most cushion of the Altra trail running shoes, and the original foot shape. The sole isn't as aggressive as Salomon, but is adequate.

My new favorite is the Inov8 Mud Talon. They come in an honest to God wide width, 8mm lugs like the Mud Claw, but more cushion for gravel ranges. The Mud Talon Speed is similar, but less cushion for actual racing. If you qualify for Expert Voice, they $77.

I’ve been using the Solomon Speedcross for years and while they’ve changed slightly over the years, the performance is second to none. They are like suction cups for your feet and are super comfortable for all day wear over a variety of terrain.  The only draw back is the price, and if you shoot 1-2 matches a month, you’ll probably only get a season or two out of a pair at the most. 

I just ordered some Inov8 mudtalons wide to see if they fit my wide ass feet. I tried the Solomon wides, but they were still too narrow. I'm currently rocking Merrell Nova 3s that fit well but I want to try a more aggressive tread. My everyday shoes are Merrell Moab 3s Mid Wide. I will report back once received.

13 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

I just ordered some Inov8 mudtalons wide to see if they fit my wide ass feet. I tried the Solomon wides, but they were still too narrow. I'm currently rocking Merrell Nova 3s that fit well but I want to try a more aggressive tread. My everyday shoes are Merrell Moab 3s Mid Wide. I will report back once received.

I'm 11.5 4E in New Balance's. I went up to 12W in the Mud Talon, and they are just right for me. They are probably 2E width.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, OPENB said:

I think I've found the perfect shoes for shooting for wide feet. The Altra Olympus 5 has the most cushion of the Altra trail running shoes, and the original foot shape. The sole isn't as aggressive as Salomon, but is adequate.

My new favorite is the Inov8 Mud Talon. They come in an honest to God wide width, 8mm lugs like the Mud Claw, but more cushion for gravel ranges. The Mud Talon Speed is similar, but less cushion for actual racing. If you qualify for Expert Voice, they $77.

That's an excellent price.

They also have the MudTalon Speed, which has a 4mm footbed drop, as opposed to the 6mm of the MudTalon, for $82.50. I prefer 0-3mm in all my shoes.

Sadly, Inov8 is phasing out the TrailTalon 235s.  I would like a little deeper lug, although they work pretty well, but I really like that they are a little more than 10% lighter than the MudTalon, and MudTalon Speed.

Edited by ReconNav